Directional control during roll out

Aaron Ortega

Aaron Ortega

Howdy:

Hate to confuse after all these years flying the Airbus but, I need help.  I have the most difficult time maintaining directional control during landing roll out.  Flare goes OK, nose comes down but as the airplane slows, I start zic zaging down the RWY. I'm not having RWY excursions but the folks in the back are definitely getting jolted as I chase the centerline.  I image it's because the airspeed is bleeding off and the rudder becomes less effect.  But I need some techniques please.  I don't have this difficulty in the Boeing/Dash-8/MD-80s, just the Airbus.

Thanks,

Captain Bucking Bronco...

AKA: Aaron Ortega

Tom van der Elst

Did you use the comma { , } to transfer control from 

the tiller over to the rudderpedals when lining up for take-off?

Or  are you inadvertantly having steering directed to the tiller any way as it sounds like that.

cheers

Tom.

Riccardo Masia

The aircraft has the tendency to go to the right. I think most aircraft has this (if someone can confirm this). What you just need to do at touchdown is to slightly rudder to the left and actually let go again. The trick is to not oversteer. As the aircraft slows down the natural yaw effect also diminishes.

Aaron Ortega
5 hours ago, Tom van der Elst said:

Did you use the comma { , } to transfer control from 

the tiller over to the rudderpedals when lining up for take-off?

Or  are you inadvertantly having steering directed to the tiller any way as it sounds like that.

cheers

Tom.

Hi Tom:

Yep.  Got the "," down.

There isn't anything wrong with the airplane.  It's just me trying to learn how to properly roll out.  Is 60 KTS a good speed to transition from rudder to tiller?

Thanks,

Aaron

Tom van der Elst
7 hours ago, Aaron Ortega said:

Hi Tom:

Yep.  Got the "," down.

There isn't anything wrong with the airplane.  It's just me trying to learn how to properly roll out.  Is 60 KTS a good speed to transition from rudder to tiller?

Thanks,

Aaron

I don't know Aaron, but I change over just before runway exit at around 30 knots.

cheers

Tom.

Stu Antonio
1 minute ago, Tom van der Elst said:

I change over just before runway exit at around 30 knots.

Same here.

I too find the FSLabs relatively hard to control after landing (at least it doesn't look that hard/wobbly on real videos), but practice will definitely get you there. I switched to pedals only recently and it took me a while to find the best settings/curves and get the feeling for it. You just have to find your technique and keep practicing (I actually once spent a few hours just doing RTOs). I now really enjoy the fact that the landing is not "over" once I touch down but will have to keep concentrating & control the aircraft. Gives me a bigger "reward" and relief once I slow down to 20kt and do the after landing items. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Aaron Ortega

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When do you folks "activate" the "," for the ground steering?  During decent checklist, final, roll-out.

Koen Meier
39 minutes ago, Aaron Ortega said:

When do you folks "activate" the "," for the ground steering?  During decent checklist, final, roll-out.

For me roll out once I am slow enough

Stu Antonio
8 hours ago, Aaron Ortega said:

Most of the time, I transfer to tiller control upon vacating the runway at around 30kt (slower if it's a 90 deg turn).
Very rarely I vacate quicker via a high speed taxiway using the pedals to steer but also then I will bring the aircraft to about 20-30kt and switch to the tiller.

Tom van der Elst
On 5/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, Tom van der Elst said:

I don't know Aaron, but I change over just before runway exit at around 30 knots.

cheers

Tom.

Still the same.

And let's be honest, you don't need the tiller really when going straight down a runway.

Just go by Tiller for Taxiway, Rudder for Runway and you'll be allright.

cheers

Tom.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, Stu Antonio said:

Same here.

I too find the FSLabs relatively hard to control after landing (at least it doesn't look that hard/wobbly on real videos), but practice will definitely get you there. I switched to pedals only recently and it took me a while to find the best settings/curves and get the feeling for it. You just have to find your technique and keep practicing (I actually once spent a few hours just doing RTOs). I now really enjoy the fact that the landing is not "over" once I touch down but will have to keep concentrating & control the aircraft. Gives me a bigger "reward" and relief once I slow down to 20kt and do the after landing items. :D

Is it possible to share the curves you have set, I don’t really know what I’m doing with custom curves... :-)

Stu Antonio
12 minutes ago, Stuart Hay said:

Is it possible to share the curves you have set, I don’t really know what I’m doing with custom curves... :-)

I've set my rudder via FSUIPC with a slope of (+)3. 

Rudder=-16380,-512,512,16380
SlopeRudder=3

• Like 1