Tiller delay

Werner Rafteseth

Werner Rafteseth

Hi, I have a request for the developer teams concideration.

I would love to see an option to remove the delay for the nose wheel steering. I know it takes time to start the turn in the real life aircraft, however we don't have the benefit of any resistance or the "feel" of the aircraft in the simulator. Personally, it would make the experience much more enjoyable if I could have an immediate response for the nose wheel steering.

Wish you all a great day!

• Like 3
Magnus Meese

This is important, and I'm surprised it's not been brought up more (... but it hasn't not been brought up, only ignored). Please, at the very least, could we have an option to deselect the delay, the fact that the product is great in the air does not weight up for my annoyance at ending "realistically" in a ditch both before and after the flight.

(Yes I know "slow down and take your time" helps, but if I have to take the highspeed exit at 15kts, cause a goaround behind me, AND still end up in a ditch, then I'm not satisfied that slowing down is the answer)

• Like 1
Werner Rafteseth

A slope here doesn't matter, as the aircraft will continue it's turn for a second or two after the tiller is commanded to 0. For a simulator, this feels uncomfortable and unintuitive, and I would love to see an option to remove this delay.

Koen Meier

The only delay there is if you turn really fast. Then the system has to catch up. I have trained myself to turn slowly the wheels respond really well to the actions.

Also a high speed exit can be taken at speeds up to 40 knots so that you slow down to a sensible speed at the end of the exit.

Marvin Toepfer

Okay. I have to admit I personally love the behaviour of the aircraft on ground. It's absolutely smooth during taxi and turns. However, when I switched to the TCA Stick, I really needed to get used to it. Before, I had my tiller axis behind the levers.

Koen Meier
3 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Okay. I have to admit I personally love the behaviour of the aircraft on ground. It's absolutely smooth during taxi and turns. However, when I switched to the TCA Stick, I really needed to get used to it. Before, I had my tiller axis behind the levers.

It is just like any aircraft you fly you need to get used to it.

Peter Pukhnoy

I'm pretty sure I've seen real pilots on this forum saying that the response is too slow but nothing has elicited any feedback from the developers. I hope the A3XX isn't the A380 because it will take an hour to make a turn in that thing.

Stu Antonio
5 hours ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Exactly the same here.

I'm a little torn on this subject. On one hand, I find the delay a little annoying, especially at higher speeds, and even BB said that it's a little overdone (so I head). On the other hand it gives me a sense of "danger", encourages me to taxi cautious and concentrate... You're moving around 60t of mass, that's no shopping cart. :)

I would welcome an option to tune this a bit to our liking though.

Mateusz Chalupniczak
9 hours ago, Koen Meier said:

The only delay there is if you turn really fast. Then the system has to catch up. I have trained myself to turn slowly the wheels respond really well to the actions.

Also a high speed exit can be taken at speeds up to 40 knots so that you slow down to a sensible speed at the end of the exit.

Not everyone can afford a dedicated tiller to steer the labs. Many of simmers are using built in twist axis in their joysticks for rudder input (and tiller input as well). 

as an example in tca sidestick you have around 22.5º deflection in each direction giving you 50degrees overall. Now a320 can turn 74º in each direction giving you nearly 150º of possible tiller deflection.

So each input in sidestick is nearly tripled. What's more a320 tiller is not linear. So physical joystick deflection by ~5º givs you 10º tiller but ~10º side stick deflection is 30º in tiller.

Any 90º turns are impossible to execute because (tripled) angular speed of sidestick at deflections above (30º tiller) exceeds angular speed of a nosewheel. As soon as it happens you get input lag and you oversteer the plane.

At low taxi speeds you able to counteract this effect but that does not mean it magicaly vanishes...

An option to disable the lag imo won't solve the problem, tiller deflection also needs to be linear.

Also adding an option itself won't hurt anyone. Some people will use, some people won't. I bet no one will be bothered by it but many of us will be very thankfull.

• Like 3