More pre-purchase questions

Luis Hernández

Luis Hernández

As some may have seen, I'm on the fence regarding the A320 for P3D4. From what I have read here, my laptop (i5-8300H limited to 3.5 GHz, GTX1050 and an external 1920x1080 30 Hz monitor) may not be enough for the VC, but I guess it might do fine if I keep 2D panels only. However, I have some questions:

1) Will I actually have no FPS issues running 2D only or is it just a pointless expectation from my side? Right now, in all the cases I have FPS issues, are because of CPU.
2) Simulation rate: will the bus be able to hold 8x without any significant issues (i.e., no oscillations, or at least stable, non-diverging low-frequency pitch oscillations less than 60 ft in amplitude so that ATC won't yell at me)?
3) 2D panel: is it available for 16:9? There are some panels that are for widescreen, but actually are for 16:10. In a 16:9 monitor, gauges may be distorted.
4) 2D window: as installed, does this panel squish vertical field of view? I mean, in most panels, the vertical FOV is not the whole screen.

Marvin Toepfer
2 hours ago, Luis Hernández said:

1) Will I actually have no FPS issues running 2D only or is it just a pointless expectation from my side? Right now, in all the cases I have FPS issues, are because of CPU.

Hi Luis,
well, not only the CPU is a problem but also your GPU. From what I read, you have only 2GB VRAM which is the absolute minimum for the P3Dv4 itself.
I think, even the P3D base pack will get you stutters and bad frames.

I would highly recommend to upgrade to a proper Desktop PC. I'm always recommending FSLabs but before you buy it, you need to upgrade your system.

Stay safe :)

• Like 1
Lucas Legros
1 hour ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Hi Luis,
well, not only the CPU is a problem but also your GPU. From what I read, you have only 2GB VRAM which is the absolute minimum for the P3Dv4 itself.
I think, even the P3D base pack will get you stutters and bad frames.

I would highly recommend to upgrade to a proper Desktop PC. I'm always recommending FSLabs but before you buy it, you need to upgrade your system.

Stay safe :)

I totally agree. The FSLabs experience is one that cannot be enjoyed without a proper machine. I'd say the whole flightsim world, even. I wouldn't recommend you buy it because you may be unable to enjoy the product and may end up disappointed. Sadly, there's no way around it, you need a good computer. 

Regards

Luis Hernández
19 hours ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

I would highly recommend to upgrade to a proper Desktop PC

I'm planning to do so in the next 3 months. However, is it there any decent GPU for a decent price? Here in Argentina retailers are charging about $1000 for a 2060. Simply too much...

And what about the other 3 questions? Does anybody know? AFAIK, it does not depend on CPU/GPU performance...

Lucas Legros

I don't know where you live, but if you really want a good GPU, you need to wait for a drop of Nvidia RTX3060Ti/3070, the founders edition are the only ones at MSRP. But they drop Once every every months, nobody knows when, and when they do you have about a minute or two before they go out of stock. Still, it's the best option if you don't want to pay twice to three times the MSRP price. You can check on AMD's side too, with their 6700xt/6800 cards that are quite good too, especially given their high amount of VRAM.

Ju_li_en Ke_ml_er

for N°2 although I rarely use it, from my experience the behaviour at 8x speed can be a bit wonky. It will oscilate during climb and descent.

It will be alright in cruise unless you have sharp turns in your flight plan.

Ju_li_en Ke_ml_er
37 minutes ago, Luis Hernández said:

Ok, understood. It's clear I need a new rig. Thanks for your replies. Does anybody know anything about #3 and #4?

No problem with 16:9. The proportions are correct.

1.thumb.jpg.13250a4cb81da73ab0963c920ec0524d.jpg

This is what the world window looks like by default.

You can resize this window any way you want.

2.thumb.jpg.3f545a5f6d282b3453cab6b6024d456e.jpg

For the reference this is what the 3D cockpit looks like from the same spot:

3.thumb.jpg.090c61d2a64d88cb723be62ef00d8a3f.jpg

• Thanks 1