Direct vs raw input

Florian Wolf

Florian Wolf

Hi,

I have a question regarding the difference between raw and direct input. I found an older topic about it where someone of the FSL team recommended raw mode. Now with the last update, direct input is sort of required but my TCA quadrant goes crazy with that set.

I think that this might have something to do with the new option of configuring the controls more, maybe someone could explain that:)

Thanks,

Florian

• Like 1
Holger Teutsch

Raw input: Each application decodes and calibrates controls on their own (p3d default up to 4.5), calibration in Windows is irrelevant

Direct: Windows decodes and calibrates, applications read data through an API (default since p3d 5.x), calibration in Windows is mandatory

Essential with direct:

The manufacturer's drivers and tools (if available) should be used. Otherwise Windows assumes certain axis types (decode as x/y etc) have a center while in reality they have not. E.g. brake pedals, flap handles, thrust levers etc.... Calibrating these with native windows is difficult because it insists you move the control in a center position. I learned this the hard way with the brake function of my MFG crosswind pedals.

• Thanks 3
Stu Antonio

So.... how do I know which one to choose? 

I just checked, I have set "direct input" and no axis are mapped in P3D because I configure everything through FSUIPS.
Is that correct? (everything seems to be working okay...)

• Thanks 1
Matth1a5 Knu€tt€l
4 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I just checked, I have set "direct input" and no axis are mapped in P3D because I configure everything through FSUIPS.

Exactly the same here, and everything seems to be working as intended...

• Like 1
Holger Teutsch

To my knowledge FSUIPC picks values from p3d in the mode p3d is configured (direct in your case) unless you tick on "raw" (per axis assignment) in FSUIPC.

• Thanks 1
Bob Zolto

I don't use FSUIPC for controls, so which is better for me in v5?

phil highton
On 4/6/2021 at 8:25 AM, Stu Antonio said:

Same here , always been confusing this subject :blink:

Lefteris Kalamaras

If you wish to use the new "Input Controls" logic we introduced in v151 (which also allows for dual inputs), you will have to use Direct Input, as Raw does not work with it at all.

If you still wish to use legacy P3D or FSUIPC input control, you are free to select either way.

• Thanks 4