CPU CPU Temperature *** FIXED ***

Luke Hall

Luke Hall

*** UPDATE - PROBLEM SOLVED ***

Hello everyone,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who chimed in with help and advice. I am really pleased to tell you that I have fixed this issue.
After months of frustration, head scratching and hypothesising, I realised that taking the detailed approach to the problem wasn't getting me anywhere. Based on the comments received, and the solutions I tried, there was no single consistent area that people identified as being the likely cause of the problem, which indicated to me that there was probably a bigger picture in play. Making large changes to voltage, multiplier speed and various other system configurations where making a small impression but these were only relatively minor improvements, as the overall temperature and performance problem remained the dominating factor.

I therefore took a gamble and decided to replace the entire AIO cooler system in an act of desperation. I ditched the old Corsair H115i and replaced it with a new Corsair H150i Pro XT.

In a nutshell, the difference is night and day. I can now run the CPU @ a constant 5GHz with XMPII profile and Hyperthreading with consistent core temps of no more than 68c and water temp of no more than 29c. That's with the core voltage on auto, which is probably leads to higher voltages than necessary. 

With the old cooler, I couldn't get past 4.2 GHz, no XMP and no HT without the core temps exceeding 90c and water temps past 50c. I have no need to run the system flat out and will tweak it down to a more compromising level for normal use but it's nice to know that I can at last get the performance out of my system that I paid for!

So, despite the old cooler reporting the pump speeds as being correct, and despite trying different radiator fans at varying speeds, it is clear that the old cooler was either completely defective or, simply not up to the job. If it's a case of the latter, I do find it surprising that despite the new system being a very similar device, it can perform so much more effectively than the old one.

I guess there's a learning point in there somewhere! Now, back to the flying :-)

Hello,

I'm sorry but this is going to be a longish post, but I'm really hoping some kind person with a bit of knowledge will be able to help me out. 

Basically, I am having real problems with a hot CPU. I'm running a Corsair H115i AIO cooler. My system (specs below) is running at a modest 4.5 GHz with a VCore on auto running between 0.6 - 1.2v. Running P3D V5.1 my CPU load across all cores is around 75-85%. I have my frames limited to 30fps which it achieves consistently with ORBX regions and/or TE in the UK.

My desktop idle temp is around 35C and in sim, on the ground, my CPU temp sits at around 55-65c but on climb out and cruise, It's pegged at 88-98C which is bloody hot.

The water pump is running flat out @3000 rpm. The water temp rises steadily with CPU temperature and peaks at around 51C, so I think that the cooler is seated properly. I have also removed it and re-applied the thermal paste with good quality stuff several times. I have wiped the CMOS on my MB and re-flashed the BIOS before going with the safe default profile. In fact, I have reduced the multiplier down to 45 to keep it under control. Hyperthreading is turned off. I have tried just about everything I can to find the problem but am having no luck at all. The only way I can keep the CPU temp under control is to reduce the clock speed to around 4GHz and even then it seems a bit touchy. Besides, what's the point of having an expensive high performance CPU and board if can't use at least some of its potential?!

I can't see a problem with the cooling system and unless there is something bizarre going on with my MB, I'm just ready to give up. My knowledge of MBs and overclocking is limited but I know enough to know that I'm currently under clocked and still having difficulties. Could it be that I have a bad CPU? Is there such a thing?
I am aware that the 9900K has a bit of a reputation for running hot and I'm starting to wonder if it is indeed suitable for this kind of application? Right now, I'm tempted to let the damn thing fry itself a get something else!

I've uploaded a quick video showing before, during and after a short stress test, monitored with iCue, HWMonitor and Asus XTU.

It clearly shows that as soon as the CPU is placed under load, the core temp climbs to 90+ after a few seconds. You can see that that the water temp rises steadily and that the pump and fans are working properly. As soon as load is removed, the CPU cools down fairly quickly and the water temp drops steadily.

Please... any help would be very gratefully received!

Thanks, 

Luke

Edited by Luke Hall
Updated fix
Shand Stewart

I would say that the cooler pump is not working as well as it should. An AIO watercooler should have the CPU at 60-70 maximum if it’s seated properly with the fans running on the radiator as they should be. 
if the cpu was bad it wouldn’t run...

Luke Hall
1 minute ago, Shand Stewart said:

I would say that the cooler pump is not working as well as it should. An AIO watercooler should have the CPU at 60-70 maximum if it’s seated properly with the fans running on the radiator as they should be. 
if the cpu was bad it wouldn’t run...

Hi Shand. I was tempted to think the same but... the pump is running at its maximum RPM and the water temp is rising quickly, so that suggests to me that the heat is being transferred quickly to the cooling water. If the pump wasn't running properly, that wouldn't happen, would it?

Luke Hall
2 minutes ago, Shand Stewart said:

Are the fans running properly on the radiator and is there airflow through the fins?

Yeah, of course. Two big fans blasting through a very clean radiator!

Markus Burkhard

Luke,

I'm no expert on AIO coolers as I tend to do custom water cooling loops. Your setup seems to be a bit of a mystery indeed. If your water temp is getting this high, this does indeed suggest that heat is being transferred and that coolant flow is present. But then where is all that heat coming from? You said you did try default BIOS settings with no overclock? If not, could it be that for some reason your BIOS is setting the CPU voltage way too high? Then again, having just consulted an overclocking guide for your CPU, 1.2v max. seems to be fine.

Was your current hardware setup always running this hot, or if not, when did things change?

Luke Hall
33 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Luke,

I'm no expert on AIO coolers as I tend to do custom water cooling loops. Your setup seems to be a bit of a mystery indeed. If your water temp is getting this high, this does indeed suggest that heat is being transferred and that coolant flow is present. But then where is all that heat coming from? You said you did try default BIOS settings with no overclock? If not, could it be that for some reason your BIOS is setting the CPU voltage way too high? Then again, having just consulted an overclocking guide for your CPU, 1.2v max. seems to be fine.

Was your current hardware setup always running this hot, or if not, when did things change?

Hi Markus,

Thanks for your reply. I have always had trouble with this CPU when it comes to cooling. The internal temp seems to climb so quickly when under load, it seems like the temperature is not being transferred to the CPU case efficiently. The core temp is being absorbed by the cooler when it reaches the case but not quickly enough to keep the core temp under control. 

I have read a few things about the internal soldering which seems to suggest that the i9 9900 does suffer from this. It's frustrating because the CPU can easily reach 5GHz and above but on my chip, anything above 4GHz just overheats it. The VCORE is low enough like you say and anything lower means instability and Windows won't even boot. 

What surprises me is how quickly the core temp rises. It can go from 35c at idle to 90+ in a couple of seconds when load is applied.

I'm so fed up with it, I just don't know what to try next. :-(

Braeden Dang

Hi Luke, 

This may sound like a dumb question but do you have the profile for your AIO cooler set to performance mode? When I first purchased my H100i it defaulted to balanced and it resulted in higher temps, after changing it to performance mode for the fans and the pump it resulted in temps that rarely reach even the upper 70's. I have a i7 9700k so not exactly the same processor but I would double check in iCue that you are indeed running the fans and pump on performance mode because it truly sounds like something is not working properly. You can also reference this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/cx6zt5/i9_9900k_corsair_h115i_temps/ . Hope this helps!

Bryan Richards

The H115i should be more than enough to cool that cpu. You mentioned that the liquid temperature gets up to 51c and that is on the high side. I am guessing that this is because your fluid isn't being circulated properly or something is up with your fans on the radiator. How old is that cooler, and can you show us a picture of your pc internals? 

Søren Dissing

In addition to what Bryan said above, orientation of the cooler is important. If it is mounted vertically the tube connections should normally be at the top.

Luke Hall
3 hours ago, Søren Dissing said:

In addition to what Bryan said above, orientation of the cooler is important. If it is mounted vertically the tube connections should normally be at the top.

The cooler and radiator are mounted correctly, Thank you.

9 hours ago, Bryan Richards said:

The H115i should be more than enough to cool that cpu. You mentioned that the liquid temperature gets up to 51c and that is on the high side. I am guessing that this is because your fluid isn't being circulated properly or something is up with your fans on the radiator. How old is that cooler, and can you show us a picture of your pc internals? 

The coolant is being circulated properly because warm water is easily felt through the input tube to the radiator. The problem isn't the water temp overall, it's the fact that the CPU core heat isn't being transferred to the CPU case and cooler plate quickly enough. I would expect the water temp to get on the high side when the CPU is running at 95 degrees +!  

9 hours ago, Braeden Dang said:

Hi Luke, 

This may sound like a dumb question but do you have the profile for your AIO cooler set to performance mode? When I first purchased my H100i it defaulted to balanced and it resulted in higher temps, after changing it to performance mode for the fans and the pump it resulted in temps that rarely reach even the upper 70's. I have a i7 9700k so not exactly the same processor but I would double check in iCue that you are indeed running the fans and pump on performance mode because it truly sounds like something is not working properly. You can also reference this reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/cx6zt5/i9_9900k_corsair_h115i_temps/ . Hope this helps!

Not a dumb question! :-) Everything in iCue is set to extreme. The pump is reported as running at 3000 rpm, which is max speed and the fans are going flat out. The radiator is clean and has very good airflow.

Luke Hall
13 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

Thermal paste? Maybe that is the issue.

Nope. As per my OP. replaced and refitted several times. Using good paste!

Luke Hall

I've uploaded a quick video at the top showing a short stress test, monitored with iCue, HWMonitor and Asus XTU.

It clearly shows that as soon as the CPU is placed under load, the core temp climbs to 90+ after a few seconds. You can see that that the water temp rises steadily and that the pump and fans are working properly. As soon as load is removed, the CPU cools down fairly quickly and the water temp drops steadily.

Markus Burkhard
2 hours ago, Luke Hall said:

The problem isn't the water temp overall, it's the fact that the CPU core heat isn't being transferred to the CPU case and cooler plate quickly enough. I would expect the water temp to get on the high side when the CPU is running at 95 degrees +!  

I'm not convinced that this is the real issue. Coolant temp never goes anywhere near the temperature of the component it is cooling, as the heat is transferred out via the radiators fairly quickly. A good CPU water cooling loop can easily get a temperature delta between coolant and air temp of under 10° C at load. AIO coolers might be a bit worse, but still, Delta T should never go to the levels you are seeing. So if you see coolant temps of 50°+, then I would say there's a MASSIVE amount of heat being transferred and that would indicate that the heat transfer is just fine.

If my assumption above is correct, then that would beg the question why is your CPU generating insane amounts of heat. Is it just the worst luck ever recorded in history in the silicon lottery and you just happened to get a shit example? Or is there some kind of manufacturing defect?
To figure this out, you'd need to remove all overclock and benchmark the CPU at stock settings. Place it under load to have it run at the factory max. all-core turbo frequency, which I believe is 4.7 GHz on your CPU? If it still heats beyond safe limits, then you could probably RMA it if there's warranty still. If however it stays within safe limits with factory settings, then you'd know the CPU is basically working fine.
However you say you're currently underclocking the CPU? Personally I wouldn't do this, it confuses the hell out of your testing results. The "lowest" settings you should use in troubleshooting is the mainboard factory settings. Those are the ones that the CPU must be able to accomplish safely to know that everything is working as it should, in your case 4.7 GHz on all cores.

I know this doesn't help much to solve your issue. But I believe in your current situation it is best to know if your CPU can run at the advertised performance. If it can't, then you know that either your cooling or your CPU is not working properly. You'd then swap either component with a temporary replacement to see which of the two is acting up.

Bryan Richards
3 hours ago, Luke Hall said:

The coolant is being circulated properly because warm water is easily felt through the input tube to the radiator. The problem isn't the water temp overall, it's the fact that the CPU core heat isn't being transferred to the CPU case and cooler plate quickly enough. I would expect the water temp to get on the high side when the CPU is running at 95 degrees

This might be true that the that the die isn't transferring heat properly to the IHS but if that was the case you might have gotten extremely lucky in getting a bad cpu lol. 

My guess of the coolant not being cooled off properly is because I have a 9900ks with an H150i. Yes that's a 360mm rad and yours is a 280 but the performance difference between the two is not that far apart. Anyway, I live in a tropical climate and my fluid temperature never gets above 42c under load, when I turn my AC on however and my room gets cooled down the fluid temperature drops to around 36, it's only a few degrees but my cpu temperature also comes down with it, so that's why I was thinking your coolant isn't being cooled properly and hence the reason for your higher than normal cpu temperature. 

So, was this cpu bought brand new or used or refurbished? Maybe the original owner delidded it and messed it up, so the die isn't making proper contact with the ihs? 

If it was brand new then the only thing I can think of is something is wrong with your cooler. Again the high coolant temperature tells me it isn't being cooled off quickly enough, so maybe the coolant isn't being circulated PROPERLY or you have air pockets stuck in the pump housing, or the radiator is oriented incorrectly, or your fans aren't getting enough air to push through your radiator. 

Are you using your radiator fans as intake or exhaust? 

I can't see the video for some reason but would it be okay if you could post a picture of your pc internals? I am specifically looking for fan orientation and radiator placement. 

Ramon De Valencia

Are you sure your iCue software is actually controlling the pump and fans?

In my Gigabyte MB I have to set up my Smart Fan 5 at BIOS with settings at Max speed for the pump and fans, by doing this my iCue software have full control.

If I set it at default (smart fan 5 at the BIOS) my fans were not spinning faster and my pump was not flowing enough and under load my i7 9700k could easily reach 90c.

maybe your ASUS bios needs to be set up properly to allow iCue do its job.

Braeden Dang

Luke, 

After watching the video the first thing that I noticed was that your fans were not running at near the RPMs that they were supposed to be, even if the pump is running at full speed without the fans spinning at the proper rpm that heat is going to have no where to go to. Your fan during the test only hit 1260rpm where as my H100i fans are spinning at around 1400RPM which I admit is a bit aggressive but I like to keep my temps pretty low. I have a custom fan curve on my Fans and I have my pump on balanced, I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like. 

42bd35839629c1beeb3d781a8c1097f8.png

• Luke Hall changed the title to CPU Temperature *** FIXED ***
Luke Hall

Problem solved. See update at top of OP.

• Like 1
Koen Meier

Quickly looking at the two products, it seems that the fan flow is different. Your newer model is able to move 75 cubic feet per minute (CFM) versus the older model having 47.3 CFM. this impacts the ability of the system to cool the liqued inside the radiator.