A320 in P3D v5 - 6GB vs 8GB VRAM

Rudy Fidao

Rudy Fidao

Hi all,

I have a 6GB graphics card (980ti) at the moment running P3D 4.5 mostly adequately in 4K.  It seems 6GB is almost not useable with add-on scenery/A320 in P3D v5.

Is it worth upgrading to a second-hand 1070 (they want $300 US or $400 Australian) with 8GB VRAM for the purpose of running P3D v5?

Or wait out this infuriating graphics card shortrage, stay on P3D 4.5, and hopefully upgrade next year?

I also have a 6700k overclocked to 4.5.  Is it worth upgrading CPU without upgrading graphics card in the meantime?  It seems to be the main bottleneck at places like EGLL and YSSY etc.  My settings are pretty moderate.

Any advice/experience would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Rudy

John Barnes
1 hour ago, Peng Jia said:

Second-hand 1080Ti 12GB   is most recommended。

And rare as rocking horse poop.

• Like 1
Markus Burkhard

Rudy,

for that seller to ask 300$ for a used 1070 is absolutely crazy, you shouldn't fall for that. As a reference, I sold my 2080Ti to a friend for 300$, because that is what the REAL value of such a card is (no more warranty, second-hand), if you compare it to the MSRP of its successor, the 3080. So take this price tag and calculate the nVidia product history downwards, you'd end up at maybe 20$ price tag for a used 1070?

Everything else is simply greed of those who sell their stuff. So in short, don't buy from them, if you don't have to. The amount of money they ask you for is ridiculous indeed. Perhaps the GPU shortage will be over in half year already, depends on how long it takes for the crypto-crap hype to last. 

Upgrading your CPU but keeping your current GPU is not worth it either I would say. You'd only make your GPU a very big bottleneck in your system.

So unless you've got lots of cash to burn, I suggest trying to stick with your current system a little while longer.

• Like 2
Filip Nowak

Flying P3Dv5 with 4K I haven't seen more than 9GB VRAM, except one airport LatinVFR - LEMD which forced P3D to crash because more than 11GB VRAM was consumed (2080Ti).

But that's not an issue. Try to launch X-Plane 11 on 4K with Ortho scenery on MAX + some paid scenery/airport/town and my personal best is 18.5GB VRAM (3090RTX - luckily bought in November 2020 - now price went up +40% from that moment of this card).

Antonis Kastrinakis

Hi Rudy,

Have to agree with Markus.

The current hardware situation is without doubt the worst so far. High demand, limited supply, scalpers and miners running amuck.

Stick with the old sim (and keep your fingers crossed your machine keeps working) and wait. New hardware (from all major manufacturers) is around the corner (kinda - late 2021 / early 2022) with new sockets, chipsets etc due so prices of older hardware are bound to start decreasing and availability will, probably, rise, if you'd still be agreeable to running slightly older hardware and not the state of the art stuff.

Cheers.

Robert Sutherland
On 4/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, Rudy Fidao said:

Hi all,

I have a 6GB graphics card (980ti) at the moment running P3D 4.5 mostly adequately in 4K.  It seems 6GB is almost not useable with add-on scenery/A320 in P3D v5.

Is it worth upgrading to a second-hand 1070 (they want $300 US or $400 Australian) with 8GB VRAM for the purpose of running P3D v5?

Or wait out this infuriating graphics card shortrage, stay on P3D 4.5, and hopefully upgrade next year?

I also have a 6700k overclocked to 4.5.  Is it worth upgrading CPU without upgrading graphics card in the meantime?  It seems to be the main bottleneck at places like EGLL and YSSY etc.  My settings are pretty moderate.

Cheers,
Rudy

Where do you live Rudy?

I ask as, depending on where you do, you will likely have a team of people who run a Discord or a Twitter account that provides updates when stores have stock in graphics cards. 

You would then follow these, set up notifications and then be prepared to act fast to get the card you want. It’s what I did to get my RTX3070; I had given up for a while after being frustrated by how quickly they sold out but when the I got the notification of this ‘drop’ of cards, I just moved as quickly as I could. 

I wouldn’t spend $300 on a 1070. That’s an old card and having had it myself, it won’t be a worthwhile investment at that price for P3D. Especially long-term. 

Rudy Fidao
On 4/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, Markus Burkhard said:

Rudy,

for that seller to ask 300$ for a used 1070 is absolutely crazy, you shouldn't fall for that. As a reference, I sold my 2080Ti to a friend for 300$, because that is what the REAL value of such a card is (no more warranty, second-hand), if you compare it to the MSRP of its successor, the 3080. So take this price tag and calculate the nVidia product history downwards, you'd end up at maybe 20$ price tag for a used 1070?

Everything else is simply greed of those who sell their stuff. So in short, don't buy from them, if you don't have to. The amount of money they ask you for is ridiculous indeed. Perhaps the GPU shortage will be over in half year already, depends on how long it takes for the crypto-crap hype to last. 

Upgrading your CPU but keeping your current GPU is not worth it either I would say. You'd only make your GPU a very big bottleneck in your system.

So unless you've got lots of cash to burn, I suggest trying to stick with your current system a little while longer.

Thank-you, Markus!  A very sane and sensible explanation.

Thanks to all of you for your responses - I really appreciate the time you took to give them.  There are some good minds on here on this forum!

I will stick with the current system for the time being for sure in that case, it isn't doing too badly all things considered, and P3D 4.5 HF3 is very stable for me.

Robert, I live in Australia - I will check out what you have suggested.

Cheers, and thanks again to all of you,
Rudy

• Like 1
Ross McDonagh
On 4/4/2021 at 2:30 AM, Rudy Fidao said:

Hi all,

Cheers,
Rudy

@Rudy Fidao I use an 8GB 2080 Super paired w an i7 10700K with V5 and the FSLabs.  I run in 4K on my 27” Acer Predator Gsync monitor.  My buddy uses an i9 9900K with a 2070 super and we both get good results tho he uses 1080 or 1440 Resolution iirc.  

If you can somehow get a 2080ti or better than by all means do it!  

BUT... As everyone says-that price is no good for a 1070... Don’t fall for the scalping-when you get the chance to get something at MSRP or a REASONABLE price go for it.  

A newer GPU with More VRAM is my number one need right now.  I occasionally have times where I’ve run out of vram and/or her a DXGI_Device_Hung (which I’m convinced is related to settings being too high/vram spikes) in some places like LatinVFR KFLL and KMIA sitting on Orbx TE Florida if I’m not careful with settings.  

Robert Sutherland
54 minutes ago, Ross McDonagh said:

A newer GPU with More VRAM is my number one need right now...in some places like LatinVFR KFLL and KMIA sitting on Orbx TE Florida if I’m not careful with settings.  

LatinVFR's scenery is great but their VRAM usage really isn't. 

Also, if you have both KFLL and KMIA, make sure you only have one of them installed when you use it -- P3D will load both up as they're in such close vicinity to each other. 

Those two sceneries are the only ones I have VRAM difficulty with. 

• Like 1
Ross McDonagh
1 hour ago, Robert Sutherland said:

LatinVFR's scenery is great but their VRAM usage really isn't. 

Also, if you have both KFLL and KMIA, make sure you only have one of them installed when you use it -- P3D will load both up as they're in such close vicinity to each other. 

Those two sceneries are the only ones I have VRAM difficulty with. 

Same-I don’t have that much of an issue even at FT KLAS with the city on fairly high settings!!