Jump to content

Lefteris' VR usage with P3D


Aidan le Gras

Recommended Posts

Aidan le Gras

I noted in the latest announcement Lefteris mentioned the following:

"On a separate note, I'd like to mention that I am now the proud owner of a HP REVERB G2 VR set (which I fully recommend for those of you who feel the need to spend 800 Euro on a whim!). I find the product very solid - it introduced me to a world that is full of possibilities and opportunity in how flight simulation will evolve from here (but also showcased some glaring omissions from P3D itself, like the absence of proper VR controller handling, unless I am missing how they are connected / working in the sim - please feel free to tell me in a separate forum post). I mention this purchase, so as to inform everyone that we also fixed the issue where a large white rectangle would appear in front of the VR virtual cockpit - this was due to our cockpit light sensor which we now made transparent so as not to block your view while in VR. A small fix, but a good one at that!"

For what it's worth, I have no trouble in other flight sims using my HOTAS in combination with a mouse for the remaining items. However, I have not seen performance on P3D version 4.5 in VR that is even remotely acceptable. I am wondering how others are going with their attempts to use VR and this platform or are we still not quite there?

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
Aidan le Gras
11 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Aidan,

I don't think VR on P3Dv4 is going to be a thing... I have only ever used it with v5.

Ok, can I ask how you rate the experience, what sort of quality are you getting? I wonder whether it’s worth it especially given how demanding your great add on can be. 

Link to comment
Lefteris Kalamaras

I think the experience is wonderful, however as I do not (yet) have any haptic gloves for input, it gets ruined when I have to use the mouse to click - I wish P3D would have some way of utilizing the Reverb input controllers like DCS does.

Performance-wise, I do not see any issues in v5.

Link to comment
ay.m3r1ck |3ern4rd
2 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

I think the experience is wonderful, however as I do not (yet) have any haptic gloves for input, it gets ruined when I have to use the mouse to click - I wish P3D would have some way of utilizing the Reverb input controllers like DCS does.

Performance-wise, I do not see any issues in v5.

The DCS integration of controllers is really great. Simple yet so effective...

Link to comment
Aidan le Gras

That's great to hear. I've been struggling to find many who have used this  320 in VR successfully but going forward I'm not that interested in any sim that's not in VR. 

Well sold :D.

Thanks

Link to comment
B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o

I use the 320 in VR all the times, I am ok with the mouse, although P3D implementation is a bit sluggish. Even though I have an RTX3080, I have to dial back a bit on the settings (EA OFF, etc.) otherwise I run out of memory. Also sometimes experience freezes or DXGI Hung device, but that's how it is for the time being. I couldn't imagine flying the 320 in 2D anymore, VR is the way to go IMO

Bruno

Link to comment
Lefteris Kalamaras
On 6/7/2021 at 7:57 PM, B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o said:

I use the 320 in VR all the times, I am ok with the mouse, although P3D implementation is a bit sluggish. Even though I have an RTX3080, I have to dial back a bit on the settings (EA OFF, etc.) otherwise I run out of memory. Also sometimes experience freezes or DXGI Hung device, but that's how it is for the time being. I couldn't imagine flying the 320 in 2D anymore, VR is the way to go IMO

Bruno

Did you try it in 5.2? VR has been improved significantly, according to LM claims.

Link to comment
Søren Dissing
16 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Did you try it in 5.2?

I haven't installed 5.2 yet, but I'll definitely try when a certain line of products become available B)

The main problem - for me at least - is the mouse cursor implementation, coupled with the jitters produced by even the slightest movement of your head. On my system (3090 / G2) I can even see the cursor moving when I breathe... If only there was some way of adjusting the head tracking sensitivity. One entry in the change log (Updated OpenVR version.) has me wondering, though.

Link to comment
B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o
12 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Did you try it in 5.2? VR has been improved significantly, according to LM claims.

Hey Lefteris! I will upgrade only after my beloved A320 is available in 5.2 :)

Bruno

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Aidan le Gras
On 6/14/2021 at 5:12 AM, B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o said:

Hey Lefteris! I will upgrade only after my beloved A320 is available in 5.2 :)

Bruno

Whadya know, it’s available now. I’ll have to check it out myself. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o

so I ended up upgrading yesterday and V.R has definitely been improved in 5.2 (floating menu option is kinda cool)....

Link to comment
David Norfolk
On 6/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Did you try it in 5.2? VR has been improved significantly, according to LM claims.

What is your overall thoughts of it if you've had a chance to try it out in 5.2? i've had my eye on a quest 2 for quite awhile now. 

Link to comment
B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o
1 hour ago, David Norfolk said:

What is your overall thoughts of it if you've had a chance to try it out in 5.2? i've had my eye on a quest 2 for quite awhile now. 

David,

As another G2 user I can give you my perspective on 5.2. It has been greatly improved IMO, much more stable, and no more crashes when running out of memory, etc. They also give you a floating bar where you can call the menus in VR, which can be helpful at times. As far as the Quest2, I love it, my only complaint is the FOV is a bit small, and the the speakers are plain awful. I actually took them off the headset and use wireless Logitech headphone that I just put on top of the Quest, which works great.

I had a Rift (which I return within 2 weeks), the screendoor effect was just too much for me. I would say go for the Quest2, I am not sure what else is out there, but I think the Quest2 is a good compromise of quality/pricing. Shoot me a DM if you need more details

Bruno

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
David Norfolk
Just now, B_r_u_n_o-R_o_l_o said:

David,

As another G2 user I can give you my perspective on 5.2. It has been greatly improved IMO, much more stable and no more crashes when running out of memory, etc. They also give you a floating bar where you can call the menus in VR, which can be helpful at times. As far as the Quest2, I love it, my only complaint is the FOV is a bit small, and the the speakers are plain awful. I actually took them off the headset and use wireless Logitech headphone, which works great.

I had a Rift (which I return within 2 weeks), the screendoor effect was just too much for me. I would say go for the Quest2, I am not sure what else is out there, but I think the Quest2 is a good compromise of quality/pricing. Shoot me a DM if you need more details

Bruno

Cheers mate! 

Link to comment
Jose R. Cardona
4 hours ago, David Norfolk said:

What is your overall thoughts of it if you've had a chance to try it out in 5.2? i've had my eye on a quest 2 for quite awhile now. 

Hi David, I own a quest 2 and I’m pleased with it. Last updates have improved visuals and performance, configuration is simpler than it used to be.  Mainly been using them on msfs but the improvement in 5.2 is real and now I’ve been able to run the fslabs in vr. The experience is incredible but must be coupled to a powerful pc. My advice would be to jump on the quest 2 if your pc can handle it. G2 have some advantages but I think the Q2 is cost-effective. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
David Norfolk
8 hours ago, Jose R. Cardona said:

Hi David, I own a quest 2 and I’m pleased with it. Last updates have improved visuals and performance, configuration is simpler than it used to be.  Mainly been using them on msfs but the improvement in 5.2 is real and now I’ve been able to run the fslabs in vr. The experience is incredible but must be coupled to a powerful pc. My advice would be to jump on the quest 2 if your pc can handle it. G2 have some advantages but I think the Q2 is cost-effective. 

Hi mate, so I took the plunge & ordered a quest 2. I'd like to say my PC specs are quite beefy. I'm looking forward to seeing how different it is from the original rift that I currently own 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
×
×
  • Create New...