How to setup TCA Quadrant v151

Markos Papoutsidakis

Robert Sutherland
On 4/19/2021 at 8:32 PM, Adrian West said:

So I have managed to get my Quadrant calibrated in P3D through the MCDU detent settings. I haven't tested it out on a flight yet, but fingers crossed it will be fine. However I cannot get the aircraft to recognise the engine master switches and the engine mode selector. All of these are recognised by the FSL app from the P3D addon menu, but when I test them in the sim they do nothing. Does anybody have a solution? 

On the subject of the FSL app, I noticed that only certain buttons can be set. If I want to allocate commands to most of the buttons on the Sidestick I would have to use FSUIPC or maybe set them to a camera preset in ChasePlane. Is this correct? 

Thanks. 

Do you have any other controllers plugged in? Like an Xbox controller? 

I've found that having an Xbox controller plugged in at the same time causes some recognition issues for the TCA controls. To such an extent that it prevents the master switches and mode selector from working. 

Chris Oddsund

Hello

I recently got the TCA throttle and notice the same issue i see people in this thread is having. I did follow the instructions given in this thread, and i got 5 steps if you wanna call it for that. One for idle, CL, FLX, TOGA and Reverse. However, this is not the case in the sim, i will show how it is in the sim and how much off my throttle is. But first i will show how the throttle in the sim is when i put the throttle in the various detents, keep in mind i started with a fresh FSL_A320X_Kbd file.

I have numbered the pic as 1, 2 and 3, for the first 3 detents, TOGA and full reverse is as expected, its mainly Idle, CL and Flex that is off. In the pics, i have the throttle set too the various detents.

For the pics of the throttle, i have named them how the the FSLabs registers them as. you can see its off, sometimes alot, and other times not by much.

I tried too change the detent zone in the sim, but i keep getting the annoying FORMAT ERROR msg...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

CLB.jpg

Flex.jpg

Idle.jpg

Adrian West
22 hours ago, Robert Sutherland said:

Do you have any other controllers plugged in? Like an Xbox controller? 

I've found that having an Xbox controller plugged in at the same time causes some recognition issues for the TCA controls. To such an extent that it prevents the master switches and mode selector from working. 

Interesting. Yes, I do have a game controller that I use for panning around and switching cameras. I'm not able to test this until the weekend so will report back then. Thanks. 

Robert Sutherland
1 hour ago, Adrian West said:

Interesting. Yes, I do have a game controller that I use for panning around and switching cameras. I'm not able to test this until the weekend so will report back then. Thanks. 

To test, make sure you have the controller unplugged before you load the sim up. 

• Like 1
Michael Wilkshire

I've got the detents set up for the throttle but for the life of me I can't get the master start switches or the rotary knob to work.

• Like 1
Adrian West
On 4/22/2021 at 11:42 AM, Robert Sutherland said:

To test, make sure you have the controller unplugged before you load the sim up. 

OK, so I unplugged my old game controller and then fired up P3D. Loaded the A320, selected panel state with GPU on, and tried the engine master switches and engine mode selector - none of these switches worked. So I ran the FSL app again, reset the assignments for these switches -  but alas to no avail. I restarted P3D, but this made no difference. 

The only controllers that I now have plugged in are the TCA Side Stick and Quadrant, and my old CH Pro Pedals.

Any suggestions as to how to get these switches working? Thanks.

A_ndré_F_olkers
8 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

OK, so I unplugged my old game controller and then fired up P3D. Loaded the A320, selected panel state with GPU on, and tried the engine master switches and engine mode selector - none of these switches worked. So I ran the FSL app again, reset the assignments for these switches -  but alas to no avail. I restarted P3D, but this made no difference. 

The only controllers that I now have plugged in are the TCA Side Stick and Quadrant, and my old CH Pro Pedals.

Any suggestions as to how to get these switches working? Thanks.

Are you using direct mode or raw in P3D for controllers?

Adrian West
33 minutes ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Are you using direct mode or raw in P3D for controllers?

My P3D is set to Direct Input - however I have controllers disabled, as I usually set everything up through FSUIPC. 

I have tried to set up the hat switch on my Side Stick (as I have unplugged my game controller), but there is no way of setting this up in the FSL app. So I assigned the hat switch in FSUIPC - but even then the switch won't work in the sim. 

As my game controller does not appear to be impacting my Quadrant I will plug that in again so I can at least pan around and have the controls I am used to. 

So I am now wondering how to set up the buttons on the stick too. Any suggestions? 

A_ndré_F_olkers
1 hour ago, Adrian West said:

My P3D is set to Direct Input - however I have controllers disabled, as I usually set everything up through FSUIPC. 

I have tried to set up the hat switch on my Side Stick (as I have unplugged my game controller), but there is no way of setting this up in the FSL app. So I assigned the hat switch in FSUIPC - but even then the switch won't work in the sim. 

As my game controller does not appear to be impacting my Quadrant I will plug that in again so I can at least pan around and have the controls I am used to. 

So I am now wondering how to set up the buttons on the stick too. Any suggestions? 

Did you already tried to remove or rename the file FSL_A320X_Kbd.ini ?

Do you start the sim as administrator?

Just now, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Attached my file for reference...

FSL_A320X_Kbd.ini

Adrian West
46 minutes ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Attached my file for reference...

FSL_A320X_Kbd.ini 2.98 kB · 2 downloads

Hi André. Yes, I renamed the FSL_A320_Kbd.ini, and yes, I start the sim as administrator. I am attaching my file, and as you can see, there is far less there. I installed the Stick and Quadrant using TM's own software as per their instructions. I haven't used FSUIPC on either, other than when trying to assign the hat switch and some buttons on the Stick. I haven't used TM's TARGET software yet. 

Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to use the FSL app in the sim, so I haven't really used this other than to try to set up the Quadrant master switches and mode selector. As I said previously, it's a shame that there aren't any clear instructions on how to install and set up these controllers for the FSL A320. 

FSL_A320X_Kbd.ini

A_ndré_F_olkers
25 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

Hi André. Yes, I renamed the FSL_A320_Kbd.ini, and yes, I start the sim as administrator. I am attaching my file, and as you can see, there is far less there. I installed the Stick and Quadrant using TM's own software as per their instructions. I haven't used FSUIPC on either, other than when trying to assign the hat switch and some buttons on the Stick. I haven't used TM's TARGET software yet. 

Unfortunately there are no instructions on how to use the FSL app in the sim, so I haven't really used this other than to try to set up the Quadrant master switches and mode selector. As I said previously, it's a shame that there aren't any clear instructions on how to install and set up these controllers for the FSL A320. 

FSL_A320X_Kbd.ini 1.81 kB · 0 downloads

Looks almost a FSLabs software issue ;-) Did you see also the dialog windows during the install?

With the message that FSLabs could setup your TCA device automatically?

Looks like all default have been assigned...

Running P3Dv5 5.1.12.26829 here local

How do you load the FSLabs airbus in P3D?

Setup here local was pretty straight forward...

Adrian West

I don't recall seeing any dialogue box during installation about FSL setting up my TCA devices automatically. 

I have P3Dv4.5 HF3. 

I load a default aircraft first before loading the A320 - same as I do with any addon aircraft. I load the A320 in cold and dark mode. 

If this is an FSL software issue, it would be good to get some advice from Norman or another team member. Thanks. 

Norman Blackburn
8 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

I load a default aircraft first before loading the A320 - same as I do with any addon aircraft. I load the A320 in cold and dark mode.

This step is not needed.  From the scenario screen simply choose the A320-X.

Peter Hastings
5 hours ago, Adrian West said:

Can you try enabling controllers?  I have mine enabled in P3D and I've just tried disabling them - and the mode selector switch stopped working.

Mark M Balagtas
1 hour ago, Peter Hastings said:

Can you try enabling controllers?  I have mine enabled in P3D and I've just tried disabling them - and the mode selector switch stopped working.

After almost a month of trying to figure out a fix for the master switches and selknob not working I simply gave up. I just don't understand why the logic has been changed when it worked fine before the latest update for both raw and direct inputs? Hopefully this issue will be addressed when the sharklets are released.

Michael Wilkshire

When I delete the kbd.ini file and restart the sim and load the FSL A320, I do get the boxes asking about letting FSL set up the controllers. I click yes on both. Still no luck. I've gone through and deleted any P3D control that refers to buttons. I even disabled FSUIPC still with no luck.

Michael Wilkshire
2 hours ago, Peter Hastings said:

That did the trick for me. I never have the P3D controllers checked because I use FSUIPC. I enabled the controllers and now the switches work. Thanks for the suggestion. Why I didn't think to try that is a mystery.

Peter Hastings
8 hours ago, Mark M Balagtas said:

After almost a month of trying to figure out a fix for the master switches and selknob not working I simply gave up. I just don't understand why the logic has been changed when it worked fine before the latest update for both raw and direct inputs? Hopefully this issue will be addressed when the sharklets are released.

Do you have controllers disabled in P3D?  If so, did you try enabling them?

Adrian West
13 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

This step is not needed.  From the scenario screen simply choose the A320-X.

Hi Norman, I've always been told that in P3D you should load a default aircraft before loading any complex 3rd party aircraft - and you can't get any more complex than the FSL 'Bus! So this is news to me...

Anyway, I have tried loading the A320 straight off the bat and it made no difference whether my game controller was plugged in or not. Neither does the hat switch on the stick work, even though that has been assigned in FSUIPC. I'm not convinced that the game controller is the problem here, so I've now kept that plugged in.

Have I missed something on the FSL in-sim app? If I click on "change" and then flick a switch, I don't get any notification of which switch I've activated. The sub-window that the "change" button generates simply disappears. Is this correct functionality? Are any changes actually being made at all?

I will now try Peter's suggestion of enabling controllers and will report back. Cheers.

Norman Blackburn
14 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

Hi Norman, I've always been told that in P3D you should load a default aircraft before loading any complex 3rd party aircraft

Hi Adrian,

That was most certainly true in P3Dv3 and before.  The bigger issue is in loading a complex addon after another.  The memory management is less than stellar and gives the issues that you have been previously warned about.  As such, loading from the scenario screen (where the existing aircraft showing is a default) is the way forward.  

Adrian West
11 hours ago, Peter Hastings said:

OK, so I have now enabled controllers and sure enough, the engine mode switch and master switches do now work.

However...

My thrust levers are now not working as well as they did with controllers disabled - the levers don't stay together properly, the detents are hit and miss, and when I push full forward into TOGA, the sim camera view switches to outside, which is bizarre.

(I should also add that my game controller did not behave itself with controllers enabled.)

What I don't understand is why the thrust lever axes and the sidestick axes would work fine with the controllers disabled but some of the switches not. I am confused and a bit at a loss to know how to sort this out. What is the correct way to set up the TCA devices - controllers enabled or disabled? Enabled seems to be the only to get the in-sim FSL app to work, but then everything else is screwed up...

Would appreciate any more input on this. Thanks.

Peter Hastings
31 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

My thrust levers are now not working as well as they did with controllers disabled - the levers don't stay together properly, the detents are hit and miss, and when I push full forward into TOGA, the sim camera view switches to outside, which is bizarre.

Did you calibrate the quadrant outside P3D (according to the Thrustmaster instructions)?

As for the second point, it's because a virtual button on one of the levers (it could be button 9 or 10?) is assigned to 'view: next category' in P3D (equivalent to the 'S' key assignment).  You need to find this and delete it.

33 minutes ago, Adrian West said:

What I don't understand is why the thrust lever axes and the sidestick axes would work fine with the controllers disabled but some of the switches not. I am confused and a bit at a loss to know how to sort this out. What is the correct way to set up the TCA devices - controllers enabled or disabled? Enabled seems to be the only to get the in-sim FSL app to work, but then everything else is screwed up...

I don't understand this either.  As you say, with controllers disabled, the sim is seeing input from the axes, but not the switches or buttons.  I might do some more tests tonight - I'm thinking of clearing out my FSUIPC settings and seeing what difference that makes.

• Thanks 1
A_ndré_F_olkers
3 hours ago, Adrian West said:

OK, so I have now enabled controllers and sure enough, the engine mode switch and master switches do now work.

However...

(I should also add that my game controller did not behave itself with controllers enabled.)

Would appreciate any more input on this. Thanks.

Adrian question do you run the latest firmware and drivers and correct calibrated?

Further the FSLabs option use the legacy api and to work you have to enable the controllers in P3D otherwise it can't be detected... (Only if you have FSUIPC)

Also when you enable the controller P3D will assign default functions to the devices, as for the throttle and flaps and spoiler make sure to delete all the assigned functions in P3D.

Also check the joystick (TCA) which has by default a throttle assigned to an axis...

So I have all axis and button functions I use via the FSLabs option menu deleted in P3D (not one Axis except for my rudder pedals...

Could you post your A320ThrustLevers.ini file also?

Norman Blackburn
2 minutes ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

@Norman Blackburn  Willing to make an installation guide for the TCA + addon, maybe we could pin it so more fellow users can contribute?

Sorry I'm not the person for that.  I don't own any of the TCA stuff.

A_ndré_F_olkers
Just now, Norman Blackburn said:

Sorry I'm not the person for that.  I don't own any of the TCA stuff.

What I mend I'm willing to make a installation guide for everyone as a pinned topic here ;-)

• Like 1
Norman Blackburn
2 minutes ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

What I mend I'm willing to make a installation guide for everyone as a pinned topic here ;-)

If you make the guide Im happy to pin it.

• Thanks 1
Mark M Balagtas
6 hours ago, Peter Hastings said:

Do you have controllers disabled in P3D?  If so, did you try enabling them?

they have always been enabled

A_ndré_F_olkers
1 hour ago, Norman Blackburn said:

If you make the guide Im happy to pin it.

Done Norman first concept is there

• Like 1
Norman Blackburn
1 minute ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

I already pinned it :D

Thanks André.  Hopefully this will help a lot of people out.

• Thanks 1
Adrian West
7 hours ago, Peter Hastings said:

Did you calibrate the quadrant outside P3D (according to the Thrustmaster instructions)?

As for the second point, it's because a virtual button on one of the levers (it could be button 9 or 10?) is assigned to 'view: next category' in P3D (equivalent to the 'S' key assignment).  You need to find this and delete it.

I don't understand this either.  As you say, with controllers disabled, the sim is seeing input from the axes, but not the switches or buttons.  I might do some more tests tonight - I'm thinking of clearing out my FSUIPC settings and seeing what difference that makes.

Yes, I did calibrate outside of P3D. I haven't calibrated the TCA controllers either in P3D or in FSUIPC. 

I'll have to check out any assignment conflicts in P3D on Friday when I have my next day off.

5 hours ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Adrian question do you run the latest firmware and drivers and correct calibrated?

Further the FSLabs option use the legacy api and to work you have to enable the controllers in P3D otherwise it can't be detected... (Only if you have FSUIPC)

Also when you enable the controller P3D will assign default functions to the devices, as for the throttle and flaps and spoiler make sure to delete all the assigned functions in P3D.

Also check the joystick (TCA) which has by default a throttle assigned to an axis...

So I have all axis and button functions I use via the FSLabs option menu deleted in P3D (not one Axis except for my rudder pedals...

Do you mean the latest Thrustmaster drivers and firmware? If so, then yes, that was also done right at the start of the TCA installation. If you mean graphics drivers, then no I don't, because the latest nVidia drivers apparently cause big problems with P3D and/or the FSL A320. 

3 hours ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Excellent André! This is exactly what I was wanting, as if you read through the whole of this thread it is so confusing. Thanks. 

Adrian West
5 hours ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Sorry André, I forgot to attach my A320ThrustLevers.ini - here it is. 

A320ThrustLevers.ini

Peter Hastings

Random question here.

Does anyone know what the DIS_270 value relates to in the A32ThrustLevers.ini (it's the first line in each section)?

In my file (and Andrés) the value is 2048, but in Adrians file it is 6144.  I'm just wondering if this affects the behaviour of the levers in any way?

Maybe @Norman Blackburn or @Andrew Wilson are able to say?

Michael Wilkshire
8 hours ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

Thanks for doing this. It really helped me get my throttle set up. Your throttle settings were perfect for me.

• Thanks 1
Adrian West

Well I finally got to work on my TCA installation yesterday following André's instructions, and they worked perfectly! I got to try out the new hardware on a nice flight from EGKK to LEPA. Using a sidestick feels quite strange when you're used to a yoke, but that's all part of the Airbus experience. 

Thank you so much André for writing the installation guide! Now I'm just waiting for the Quadrant Add-ons to come back into stock. 

• Like 1
Adrian West

So I thought I had got the quadrant set up OK. And it is working fine. Except that I have just noticed something unusual that would become an issue if I ever go into the murky realm of failures and have to employ differential thrust...

If I move thrust lever 2 it moves independently in the sim. However, if I move thrust lever 1 it brings lever 2 with it. I have the aircraft set up in the MCDU as two levers. And regarding detents I have lever 2 copied from lever 1. I've used the FSL input app and lever 1 is commanding axis X and lever 2 axis Y. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

Noah Pyle

Whenever I have my thrustmaster TCA throttle connected, my autopilot will engage for a second then immediately disengage. Does anyone know how to fix this? As soon as I unplug the throttle, the autopilot works just fine.

Thomas Stemmer

Hi, 

I have the issues with my TCA in v160 again. Some buttons (e.g. engine on/off, engine switch, parking brake) doesn‘t work after initialization. When I remove the a320 keyfile, next simstart I am asked if I want configure my tca quadrant (and I do so), and only in this session the tca works perfectly. After the next sim start, same buttons doesn‘t work as decribed above. 

Only in v126 my tca works perfect. ;(((( 

Thomas Stemmer

Ok, let me show my settings... 

image.png.13ff61e77dba4948ed7902ec31f66b45.png

So I use the new firmware. Also I have configured my TCA + Stick properly. 

When I open the FSLabs-Key-Assignments and assign f.e. only the Parking Brake again, then ALL buttons work properly. But is this really a workaround? 

Mark M Balagtas

Guys,

I got this response from thrustmaster and it fixed my detent in the thrustmaster control panel and in vc... And got my master switches and selknob to work!

First, make sure when you do the following procedure, make sure the device is connected to a 2.0 USB port, not a 3.0 USB port

Do not use any hubs, extensions or adapters. Make sure you Windows PC is up to date.

Please try the following factory reset procedure below:

1. First, please disconnect your Quadrant from the PC
2. Next, uninstall all Thrustmaster Drivers
3. Then reconnect the Quadrant
4. Then go to the game control panel by typing joy.cpl in your start search.
5. Click on properties, then go to the Settings Tab and click on Reset to default(see pdf)
6. Disconnect the Quadrant
7. Download and install the Thrustmaster Drivers and update the firmware following the instructions below.

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/tca-quadrant-airbus-edition-en/

8. Test your unit in the Game control panel.

Also, this youtube video should help:

https://youtu.be/jVI6fy5wzn0

Also, see attached pdf

If it still does not work then you may have a hardware issue and we recommend you contact the reseller for further assistance.

PS: To update the latest Drivers, just click on the link below, navigate to Drivers and download them there; do not plug in the device just yet:

https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/product/tca-officer-pack-airbus-edition-en/

After installing the drivers(you need to find them on the PC to install them after they download), make sure you restart your windows PC. Then in the start or windows logo of your PC, find the Thrustmaster folder in Apps. Inside you will see a FIRMWARE UPDATE APP. Open that up. Plug in your device into a 2.0 USB port. The PC should now recognize the controller; you should see it in the Preparation box of the firmware update. Click OK to start the firmware update. You should get 3 green checks at the end of the update. You can close the window now.

Next step you can do is plug it onto a PC and check with the joy.cpl if your unit is faulty or not.

To do so, follow the simple instructions below with your device:

Access the Control Panel to test it:
1. Simultaneously press the WINDOWS+R keys on your keyboard;
2. Type in the RUN window "joy.cpl";
3. The name of your product should appear with the status "OK";
Then double click on the name of the device that will appear on the new window.
In the Game Controllers Panel verify if each command responds properly to your actions.
4. Click on the Properties button to test your product's hardware functionality.

Edited by Mark M Balagtas
  • 4 weeks later...
Anthony Roide

Got the quadrant working perfectly.  Steps:

1. Install drivers. Update with latest firmware. 

2. delete file listed this thread.  On restarting prepar3d v5, I got a pop up saying it was detected and if I want to enable.  At this point idle thrust is about 70% thrust.  But buttons work fine.

3. Do the calibration as listed on thrustmaster site. Pay attention to when to be plugged in and when not.

4.  Load up the A320 and set detent zones in the FMC config page for controls->thrust levers.  Note need to change settings to 'two levers' and 'rev on stick'.  Setting detent zones was a bit of trial and error.  For example, I set idle to -0.55/-0.48.  No rules on how I set the zone and width.  Important to set rev idle to some 'window' just below the idle setting.  If set too close, pressure down at idle opens reversers.  I set mine to -0.42/-0.38.

5.  Remove the outside view key binding, or when I go to TOGO power, sim switches to outside view.

Thanks to FSLabs for supporting this hardware.

• 2 weeks later...
Malcolm Rouse
On 6/14/2021 at 10:36 PM, Anthony Roide said:

Got the quadrant working perfectly.  Steps:

1. Install drivers. Update with latest firmware. 

2. delete file listed this thread.  On restarting prepar3d v5, I got a pop up saying it was detected and if I want to enable.  At this point idle thrust is about 70% thrust.  But buttons work fine.

3. Do the calibration as listed on thrustmaster site. Pay attention to when to be plugged in and when not.

4.  Load up the A320 and set detent zones in the FMC config page for controls->thrust levers.  Note need to change settings to 'two levers' and 'rev on stick'.  Setting detent zones was a bit of trial and error.  For example, I set idle to -0.55/-0.48.  No rules on how I set the zone and width.  Important to set rev idle to some 'window' just below the idle setting.  If set too close, pressure down at idle opens reversers.  I set mine to -0.42/-0.38.

5.  Remove the outside view key binding, or when I go to TOGO power, sim switches to outside view.

Thanks to FSLabs for supporting this hardware.

Followed your steps Anthony ,Quadrant working fantastically 

Thanks a lot 

Malcolm 

John Armstrong
On 4/4/2021 at 9:16 PM, Mark M Balagtas said:

My issues have been resolved. FSLABS prompt recommended direct input when you start the bus but detents were off. I've found that if i use raw input, I will be able to get my detent zones right. As for the master switches and ignition knob, I made sure I have power in aircraft and they actually work prior to engine start. Did my first flight with the latest update and it was a big improvement, the bus flies so smoothly...

Now, can't wait to get my hands on the sharkeys and concorde

When i go to raw inputs,mine works fine,but when i restart the sim the and load up the throttle doesn't move at all,nothing works.Even if i select yes or no at that thrustmaster window that pops up for fslabs

Bernd Edlinger

I'm trying also hard to get the TCA Levers working but no chance yet.

1 Leaver is now working but the 2nd one not xD

I was able to configure everything correctly but after restarting the computer, the config was lost and I start from the beginning :(

Everything works now :)