Cat3Design Tiller Feedback

Bob L

My feedback on the Cat3Design Tiller - 

In full transparency I paid for the tiller unit and Nobby has asked me to be honest in my feedback and he has NOT seen (nor have I discussed/reviewed it with him) this prior to me posting it here.

I'll cut to the chase now... I really like the tiller, as it is much more effective, controlling and feels 'normal' 
then when I was using the T160000M twist axis as the tiller.  I used to constantly have oversteer in the 319...not anymore. 
The deflection angles on the Cat3Design tiller match to the FSL tiller deflection marks when it is being used.  I've had no issues controlling the 320, 321 nor 319.

Not being a real Airbus pilot I cannot state if the resistance to turning the tiller (Left/Right) and feedback from the tiller is correct and realistic.  

The unit is lightweight, has a leather-like (it may be leather but dunno) top in Airbus blue color. The size of the unit is nicely proportioned as my palm naturally rests on the unit when using the tiller.  The 4 way hat switch located under the front edge of the tiller arm/finger falls under your left index finger and is easy to operate.  Is it worth the extra $$$ to get the hat switch, dunno....to me since I do not use Chaseplane or TrackIR it comes in handy for me and was worth getting that option.

Aesthetically, in my opinion, the unit looks fine and I am not bothered by the black screws on the side of the unit and honestly you do not see the screw for the hat switch (unless you have the unit turned upside down to operate).  A 3m USB cable is included and set-up was a snap.

The unit must first be calibrated via Windows Game Controller PRIOR to launching P3D.  Setting up in the new FSL Input Commands dialog was very easy.  No setup instructions were included.  In chatting with Nobby realizes setup instructions are needed and is creating a YouTube video on connecting and setting up the unit.

Is it worth the cost, for me it is as I said earlier the immersion level is top notch and along with the previous reasons. Shipping to the US took just about 4 weeks due to Covid shipping delays.

Here are some pics of the unit - 

File_006.jpeg

File_005.jpeg

File_004.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_002.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Danny Moore

Outstand review Bob. This just reassures that users are getting top notch product along with support. I've also ordered one and have been chatting with Nobby the last few days via email. After reading your review I am even more excited about getting my Tiller. I also used the original T160000M twist for tiller but the twist is so short compared to an actual tiller it will never come close. The though of being able to finally being able to taxi the FSLabs or even Boeing aircraft without a joystick or rudder pedals will be a welcome experience. Thanks for the review. 

• Like 1
Eric Fisher

i've had mine on order for about a week or so now along with the bracket they sell for it as well. To me, this is a must buy for all your ground movements! Even will work with Boeing aircraft I'm sure. 

Danny Moore

I look forward to the video as I’m sure it will answer the following questions.
Do we use the default P3D steering axis and sensitivity?
What is the recommended sensitivity setting and null zone recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
Nobby Fukui

19 hours ago, Danny Moore said:

I look forward to the video as I’m sure it will answer the following questions.
Do we use the default P3D steering axis and sensitivity?
What is the recommended sensitivity setting and null zone recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are dead right in saying the upcoming video will answer all of these questions :)I'm working on it as we speak. Should be out in a few days on CAT3DESIGN YouTube channel and cat3design.com website. It'll take you through the setup process and also the practical use of the tiller (both the original and plus). You will have no excuse for lining up crooked with this tiller!

• 2 weeks later...
A_ndré_F_olkers

What I saw at your website we are talking about 131,00 euros for the tiller unit plus advised shipping cost of 89 euro's.

So we are at 220 euros for a tiller unit? correct?

Actually the calculation isn't correct so corrected...

Nobby Fukui
7 hours ago, A_ndré_F_olkers said:

What I saw at your website we are talking about 192,00 euros for the tiller unit plus advised shipping cost of 90 euro's.

So we are at 270 euros for a tiller unit? correct?

Yes correct. Remember to use promocode "FSL10" for a massive 10% off!! Offer ends 23:59 AEST 30 APR 2021.

I think it feels too expensive compared to other more mass produced products that are set at lower price points.

I also think if you come see what's involved in developing and crafting each unit you will be more than understanding of the pricing, in fact I am almost sure you will say to me it should be twice its price at the very least.

You be the judge! :)

• Thanks 1
Nobby Fukui
1 minute ago, Peter Hastings said:

Hi @Nobby Fukui could you give us some idea of the lead time at the moment?  I ordered around the end of March and was wondering when I would get a shipping update?

Hi Peter

Your unit should be shipped this coming week. Probably towards the middle...

Thanks for your patience.

Nobby

Peter Hastings
7 hours ago, Nobby Fukui said:

Hi Peter

Your unit should be shipped this coming week. Probably towards the middle...

Thanks for your patience.

Nobby

Thanks for the update, Nobby!

Sebastian Brabsche

Yesterday I also received my Tiller and would now like to give feedback after the first test.

After setting up the Tiller as described in the instruction video, it is ready for use in a short time.
With the FSLabs it works great and precise.
The Tiller automatically pushes back and centers itself when you release the force of the steering.

In Areosoft A330, I have not gotten it set yet.

About the dimensions, the Tiller is about 16X16 cm wide or long and 5 cm high

The width of the handle is 8 cm and lies well in the hand

20210410_111826.thumb.jpg.d1727eb02e15e2f11db74eff9b121070.jpg

20210410_111842.thumb.jpg.302c491a0eb5cc34c7109601865bbe81.jpg

20210410_111816.thumb.jpg.07376956410df17de9eb0359f1dad165.jpg

When using the Tiller, the base does not slip, as there are also 4 non-slip nubs underneath and it also stands stable due to its weight.

20210410_111738.thumb.jpg.0c2d06a32acc98b8cdd2094b76fa8397.jpg

20210410_111647.thumb.jpg.35cc02281927837ce736e56b2a71166a.jpg

20210410_111711.thumb.jpg.e7786f9b85b70141653a1479bcbf5c8b.jpg

Overall, the Tiller is an asset to virtual flying, it works as it should with the FSLabs. The delivery to Germany was one week.

Thank you @Nobby Fukui for the hassle free transaction. You have created a class product.

I can only recommend it

• Like 2
A_ndré_F_olkers
12 hours ago, Nobby Fukui said:

Yes correct. Remember to use promocode "FSL10" for a massive 10% off!! Offer ends 23:59 AEST 30 APR 2021.

I think it feels too expensive compared to other more mass produced products that are set at lower price points.

I also think if you come see what's involved in developing and crafting each unit you will be more than understanding of the pricing, in fact I am almost sure you will say to me it should be twice its price at the very least.

You be the judge! :)

Ok just ordered a few minutes ago :-)

• Thanks 1
Zachary Kerr

My tiller also arrived last night.  I was going to post pictures but its identical to all the others photos that were previously posted by our peers so instead i will share my thoughts.  I have been looking for a high quality reasonably priced tiller for a few years now.  Seems i have found exactly what i was look for with Nobby's tiller.  Its made from high quality materials and designed to exacting specifications - each detail appears to be matching the real tiller in the 'bus.  While i have never actually flown a real 'bus, i have been in the flightdeck before and I can say this appears to be a very convincing reproduction of the real thing.  Setup was super easy using the tutorials that Nobby uploaded to his youtube channel - it took only a few minutes before i was up and running.  And once i was.....I was so impressed with the experience.  The tiller is amazing - it feels great in your hand and steers the aircraft around the ground in a very realistic manner.  Tension is good, increasing as the tiller moves thru the radius, always returning to zero without any springiness.  But most importantly, it adds another layer of realism to the whole flightsim experience.  The FSLabs bus is so immersive to begin with, its hard to enhance the experience.  But nobby has managed to build on it, capturing the spirit of ground movements in a very convincing manner with this amazing piece of hardware.  I am so happy I stumbled across the forum post.....the tiller was the one area of my flightsim setup that was lacking.....but thanks to Nobby, my cockpit is now complete.  Thanks Nobby - keep up the great work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
A_ndré_F_olkers

As already stated here above the same experience as Zachary Kerr :-)

I received mine yesterday and I love it, it add so much more to the immersion factor.

Communications between Nobby Fukui where always helpful and friendly.

It took 6 days to ship from Australia to the Netherlands and pretty easy to track.

With the tiller it's whole different experience to taxi the bus as with the joystick axis, far more precise.

Very happy with the tiller unit :-) Precise on time for the sharklets :-)

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 17.51.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 18.15.36(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 18.15.36.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-13 at 18.15.37.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Nobby Fukui

Hello fellow aviators

To enhance your ground steering life the First Officer Tiller is now officially available from Cat3Design.com! As with the Captain editions, there are two variants - with or without the view switches. Thanks to the new FSLabs control input options a CAPT and FO tiller can be used concurrently. Just like the real world the two input are algebraically added - in case there is a personal conflict in the cockpit :blink:

Nobby

P5141333.JPG

P5141325.JPG

• Like 1
Michael Petersen

gonna get one of these :-) :P

I will mount mine back of my Warthog  - the view pan switch could be a "must have" albeit you would have to use these every time with Chaseplane i guess.?

Thanks

Michael Moe

• Like 1
Nobby Fukui

Thanks for your purchase Michael

I personally use Chaseplane but you can of course assign the 4 way switches to default P3D view functions as well (or any other functions for that matter)...

The way I have them assigned is as follows

Left = Pan Left
Right = Pan Right
Up = Reset View (Straight forward)
Down = Next View in the category

Using these assignments I can comfortably navigate myself on the ground with my left hand on the tiller and right hand on the thrust levers.

Michael Petersen
3 hours ago, Nobby Fukui said:

Thanks for your purchase Michael

I personally use Chaseplane but you can of course assign the 4 way switches to default P3D view functions as well (or any other functions for that matter)...

The way I have them assigned is as follows

Left = Pan Left
Right = Pan Right
Up = Reset View (Straight forward)
Down = Next View in the category

Using these assignments I can comfortably navigate myself on the ground with my left hand on the tiller and right hand on the thrust levers.

;) looking forward to it - just remember its the FO version i ordered ^_^

Michael Moe

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Michael Petersen
On 5/18/2021 at 3:36 PM, Michael Petersen said:

;) looking forward to it - just remember its the FO version i ordered ^_^

Michael Moe

How long time is typically before receiving?

Thanks Michael Moe 

Peter Hastings
42 minutes ago, Michael Petersen said:

Thanks Michael Moe 

I don't know if mine was typical, but I got the first email from the carrier on 19 April and a delivery attempt in the UK on 1 May - so just under 2 weeks (with std Australia Post shipping).

There was a slight delay between ordering and shipping, but Nobby was transparent about this and kept me informed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Zachary Kerr
49 minutes ago, Michael Petersen said:

Thanks Michael Moe 

From purchase to delivery in the US was 10 days (and this included a slight delay due to customs). Its relatively quick  considering its a bespoke piece of hardware. By the way….its amazing….worth the cost and time! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Nobby Fukui
17 hours ago, Michael Petersen said:

Thanks Michael Moe 

Your tiller is due to be shipped this coming Monday. Thanks for your patience Michael.

Nobby

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Michael Petersen
On 6/1/2021 at 12:24 PM, Nobby Fukui said:

Your tiller is due to be shipped this coming Monday. Thanks for your patience Michael.

Nobby

Long way to Europe :P still not in my hangar

Michael Moe

Nobby Fukui
11 hours ago, Michael Petersen said:

Long way to Europe :P still not in my hangar

Michael Moe

Hey Michael

As always life got in the way - I'm sending you the unit today. Will also email you the function test video as well.

Nobby

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Knobby - does your unit work with X-Plane 11 busses (Toliss, FlightFactor, JAR Design)?
Thanks,
Jim

Nobby Fukui
3 hours ago, Jim Blake said:

Hi Knobby - does your unit work with X-Plane 11 busses (Toliss, FlightFactor, JAR Design)?
Thanks,
Jim

Heya Jim

It's basically just an ordinary USB joystick device with one axis and 1 (or 5 for Plus edition) buttons so as long as your software caters for joystick assignments you should be good to go.

For those considering buying the tiller, I have finished redesigning the internal mechanism of the unit with laser cut steel parts for bits that take more loads. All new orders will be this new version.

Thanks

Nobby

Waleed Nuseibeh

Simply put, it is a must have if you want to enjoy your Bus, or just about any other aircraft for that matter.

I remember "fighting" the idea of a virtual cockpit, track ir, and other add-ons that made a world of a difference way back when only to find out how unusable the sim is without them, but luckily I got the tiller from the get go and it is a "game changer" when you are on the ground.

Go for it without a second thought and enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Nobby Fukui

Here are some shots of the new and improved steel-enforced tiller (without the covers) - tested to 5000 cycles (one cycle being neutral to a full deflection) with no ill effects whatsoever, and could easily go for another 5000!

Use promocode "BULLETPROOFTILLER" for a 10% off discount for all FSL users. Offer ends July 31st 23:59 Australian Eastern Standard Time.

All new Tiller orders (CAPT + FO) will be built to this new standard.

Nobby

P1010035.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010053.jpg

newdesigne.thumb.jpg.7f18d2a989520c71208f5d7ae6654017.jpg

• Like 1
Nobby Fukui

Hi Danny

I don’t have a set figure for it but the most I’ve tested is about 3000 cycles - but if you have any issues with yours I’ll be happy to help.

• Thanks 1
Danny Moore
26 minutes ago, Nobby Fukui said:

Hi Danny

I don’t have a set figure for it but the most I’ve tested is about 3000 cycles - but if you have any issues with yours I’ll be happy to help.

We can always count on you for outstanding support. Thanks for the reply and a great product. I enjoy using it every time I taxi.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This tiller is an excellent hardware add-on, and increases the realism and immersion very nicely!  Well worth the $$ for the unit.  It looks really good, and feels very good....highly recommended!

Thanks, Nobby!
Jim

• Like 1
Nobby Fukui
1 hour ago, Michael Petersen said:

i dont have Tiller 1 and 2 in the FSLabs command bar .

How do i proceed ?

Thanks

Michael Moe

Hi Michael

Do you have the latest FSL version? Mine certainly lets me individually assign CAPT/FO tillers.

Nobby

Michael Petersen
15 hours ago, Nobby Fukui said:

Hi Michael

Do you have the latest FSL version? Mine certainly lets me individually assign CAPT/FO tillers.

Nobby

Thanks Nooby, i had to scroll down to see them.

Michael Moe 

Michael Petersen

Now that i have my steering/tiller axis setup as in real life may i ask the real procedures for using the PEDAL DISC ?.

I dont notice any different on the ECAM in the flightcontrols check (rudder pedal movement) with PEDAL DISC on or off for that matter.

In real life i guess you are pushing this down while testing (whats to test?)

Thanks Michael Moe

Nobby Fukui

Heya michael

You use it mainly during the flight control check before takeoff.

If you don’t press the button and do a rudder check (full left then full right) nose gear will move by up to 6° as there is an electronic “linkage” between the rudder pedals and the nose gear steering.

PS TO ALL THOSE WAITING FOR YOUR TILLER - thank you for your patience as I deal with a family health issue. I expect all units to be sent out by mid next week. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...