running on low-end system (stop-gap solution)

Andrew Slater

Andrew Slater

I am planning to buy a new high end system to run FSL A320, but this will be delayed due to the worldwide supply shortages of high-end GPUs.

So...I'm wondering if there is a stop-gap solution that would work with my current modest setup?

At the moment, I have:

i5-8400 16GB (passmark 9236) with nvidia GTX 1050 2GB (passmark 5230).

It looks like it should run FSX or P3Dv4.5 (but not v5).  Would it be worth going with P3D4v.5 and then upgrade to p3dv5 when I am able to get the new PC? I am not expecting great performance, but would it be usable, at least for some familiarisation?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Trevor Hannant

My new kit is on order however, while I couldn't run the 319/20/21 in P3Dv4 without real lags and stutters, I'm running on P3Dv5 with no issues albeit with frames around the 20-25fps mark - which is still an acceptable level of visual to manage normal landing rates etc:

- Core i5-2500K @3.30-3.60Ghz
- nVidia GTX960

Yes, in theory it shouldn't run (or not very well!) on the above but it manages fine.   In flight, no noticeable issues.  On the ground, frames dip a little but not so much that the aircraft can't be handled round turns.  v5 has actually made a massive difference to my ability to use the FSL fleet - so much so that performance with all three is significantly better than another larger Airbus product which I'm unable to fly due to single figure frame rates on the ground...

Andrew Slater

Thanks, Trevor.

That's really interesting: I had assumed I'd have better chance with P3Dv4 with a low spec system...but sounds like it might be worth going straight for v5 and see how it goes.  If it really won't run for me, worst case I'll have to wait until I get the new rig sorted.  

Norman Blackburn
2 hours ago, Andrew Slater said:

I am planning to buy a new high end system to run FSL A320, but this will be delayed due to the worldwide supply shortages of high-end GPUs.

So...I'm wondering if there is a stop-gap solution that would work with my current modest setup?

At the moment, I have:

i5-8400 16GB (passmark 9236) with nvidia GTX 1050 2GB (passmark 5230).

It looks like it should run FSX or P3Dv4.5 (but not v5).  Would it be worth going with P3D4v.5 and then upgrade to p3dv5 when I am able to get the new PC? I am not expecting great performance, but would it be usable, at least for some familiarisation?

Many thanks,

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

As mentioned in the ticket you sent, please use only one method for support.

Your CPU passes our minimum and indeed recommended spec but is as you know still quite low down.  Whilst your GPU is above minimum for v4 it will be a real struggle and will NOT work in P3Dv5 where the minimum is a 6GB card.  If this is just a stop gap the GPU should work in v4.  I would advise not getting the FSX version which is no longer developed and has no upgrade path to your goal of P3Dv5.

Andrew Slater

well...I bit the bullet and went for P3Dv4.5 and contrary to my expectations, it runs really well on my ageing PC...holding around 30fps in the virtual cockpit and no stuttering. I am amazed! I'm not too fussed about fancy scenario and externals, so for procedural work it is brilliant. 

As a real-world A320 captain with some 8000 hours on the bus, I am really impressed with the level of realism - especially the failure modelling. Brilliant!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Luis Hernández

Hi Andrew, how much RAM is spending your bus? I placed a similar question some months ago and, while my CPU (i5-8300H) is OK and my GPU (GTX 1050 mobile, but I use 1024 textures) almost, my RAM is only 8 GB, single stick. I can go 2D-only if required (and I won't care).

Andrew Slater

Hi Luis. I am seeing around 2.2GB usage in task manager, and have a total of 16GB RAM. I'm using the VC and it's very smooth: still seeing around 30 fps and no stuttering, and no crashes. I do have an SSD on this PC, which I guess helps somewhat. I have resurrected an ancient Cyborg 3D USB stick, CH Pro Pedals and bought the TCA quadrant, and all are working well. 

Maybe try P3Dv4.5 first and see how that runs? I assume you could upgrade to 16GB RAM, if necessary.. 

Luis Hernández

Well, I never checked P3D RAM usage; just full RAM usage: it never went over 7 GB (when I have 8). Now I'm flying the 787, I'm seeing 1.8-1.9 GB only; not very far away from your values. Since I'm having a lot of issues with the other bus, I guess I'll also bite the bullet. Need to confirm I have some $140 over there...