How to disconnect the autpilot

Adrian West

Adrian West

So this time I would like to know what is the correct way of disconnecting the autopilot when on finals. If I click on AP1 and AP2 to disconnect I get the master warning siren continuously and I have to push the master warning button to silence it. However I still have an autopilot disconnection memo in red on the ECAM. This doesn't seem to be what I have seen when watching streamers such as Blackbox. If I am not mistaken I should be hearing beep-beep-beep pip-pip-pip. So I have tried clicking on the red button on the sidestick - but that doesn't appear to be functional. So I set up a button on my yoke for autopilot off through FSUIPC. But that didn't work either. 

So what am I doing wrong? What is the correct method? Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Stu Antonio

What about the „z“ key? Works for me. I then mapped it to my joystick button as well... 

Timo Heller

Jup, Airbus distinguishes between how the AP gets disconnected.

The prefered method is via the red button on the sidestick (aka "take over push button" in the FCOM). Because that is where your hand should be when the AP dissengages. Then you get the master warning flashing for 3 sec with three "cavalry charges" and a 9sec AP OFF on the ECAM. They shut up/dissapear by themselves (or you press the button again right away, that also works). You can use the standard AP disconnect option (Z by default as Stu said) in P3D.

The second mean is by either pressing the AP1/2 buttons, pressing the controls over the AP limits or an automatic disconnect due to some other reason. Then the master warning will stay on until you acknowledge by pressing the master warning or sidestick takeover. And as you already noticed, it stays on the ECAM as well, which you have to erase via the CLR button.

The three clicks you are after that are a change in AP mode or landing capability degradation.

• Like 1
phil highton

are you using FSUIPC or sim assignments ? also whats your hardware please ?

Adrian West
21 minutes ago, phil highton said:

are you using FSUIPC or sim assignments ? also whats your hardware please ?

I am using FSUIPC. I currently have the CH Yoke, Pedals and Throttle Quadrant, but will be buying Thrustmaster's Airbus controllers when they are available again. I tried to assign the autopilot disconnect button on the yoke through FSUIPC, but for some reason it didn't work. Should the red button on the Airbus sidestick be clickable? I may have to resort to using Z until I can get the new controllers. 

phil highton

I have a warthog stick and used macros to assign AP on and off , if you need help let me know 

• 3 months later...
Aidan le Gras
On 3/11/2021 at 10:39 AM, phil highton said:

I have a warthog stick and used macros to assign AP on and off , if you need help let me know 

Hi Phil, I am attempting, as best I can to avoid using FSUIPC now that I have installed P3DV5.1. Is there a way I can map the AP disconnect/takeover pushbutton on the sidestick to the Thrustmaster warthog joystick without using FSUIPC, while you're at is I'm wondering if it is as yet possible to also map the heading knob and altitude selector to my NWS hat on the joystick?

phil highton

hi Aidan, i dont use the p3d inbuilt controls at all so i wouldnt know, i have used fsuipc for years and trust it , make  new post someone will know 

Aidan le Gras
11 hours ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

go to addon then fslabs control input and select your button for AP disconnection

Ah ha, thank you very much. Appreciate it. 

• Like 2