Advice on setting for P3d V5 on a RTX 3090

Fabrizio Pascucci

Fabrizio Pascucci

I build a new PC  with an i9-10900k and a RTX 3090 FE but it literally crawls If push the slider to the right inside P3dv5.

A test with Orbx Global Flytampa EHAM and FSLABS make the sim a slideshow .

I set Unlimited frame in P3d with Vsync on and triple buffer have not set affinity mask and disable Hyperthreading,.

Enhanced Atmospherics off HDR off shadow quality Low and medium distance Dynamic lighting ON

Cloud shadow on FXAA off AA 2xMSAAA TF Anisotropic 2x Texture res 1024 Dynamic Texture ON

In Nvidia CP Power Management mode Prefer maximum, Threaded optimization ON, DSLL 3

Anyone with some advice for good setting?

John Mc Avinue

I have an 8700k @4.9GHZ and a RTX 2080 Super and in P3d v5.1 I'm getting very smooth performance and average 35-60 FPS (never thought I'd say that for flightsim!).

Have you disabled Game Mode in Windows 10? Are you using latest drivers? What is CPU and GPU utilisation when running flightsim?

Your in-sim settings look low for the spec of your machine. You should definitely be getting good performance

Kamenko Gnjatovic

Hello Fabrizio,

what is your Monitor? Is it a 2k or 4k or an HD Monitor? 60Hz or higher?

I recommend to disable Hyperthreading, for me it brings only positive effects for the sim.

Also try with vsync off.

I have an 2k Monitor (120Hz) with an i9 9900k (overclocked to 5.0Ghz), RTX2080Ti, 32GB RAM 3600Mhz.

That are my settings and i run a smooth sim without any issues. About 40-60 FPS in daytime. For Nighttime i turned down shadows (Cloudshadows

unticked), mesh- and texture resolution, autogen- and building density.

In NVIDIA Control Panel i set Prefer maximum Performance, all other stuff i leave defeult.

Hope you get it to work!

GRAPHICS.JPG

LIGHTING NIGHT.JPG

LIGHTING.JPG

WORLD NIGHT.JPG

WORLD.JPG

Fabrizio Pascucci

Thank you for help.

Unfortunately with the Fslab, is a slideshow I tested other aircraft and it's fine but not clear why.

I try to set those option suggested but doesn't change.

I run a 2k g-sync 2560*1440 60hz windowed mode in  Nvidia Control panel.

I still need to test to see if there is incompatibility with some addon.

21 minutes ago, Fabrizio Pascucci said:

this is already been done like deleted shader .

shader deletion is different from settings config deletetion and rebuilding.

Kamenko Gnjatovic

As Koen said, delete Prepar3D.cfg which is located in AppData > Roaming > Lockheed Martin > Prepar3D v5

Delete your Shaders Folder (AppData > Local > Lockheed Martin > Prepar3D v5) also and let it rebuild a new one.

I would recommend you to disable G-sync and to not limit your Monitor Hz Refreshrate to 60Hz if it could run higher Hz. Try 120Hz if its possible.

Hi, yesterday I got my 3090 and I started up my P3D maximize everything and tried how it works.
However, it seems to hardly depends on the scenery.
Then you have clearly settings that are CPU related and some GPU related. Unfortunatly P3D is still CPU based and even a 3090 is not gaining you 300FPS. The only thing helps is the VRAM and that graphics and GPU related things load in faster which gains overall performance boosts.

I still play around and I am eager to hear more feedback from others with a almost same system as I have.

*I recommand not to go above 2k textures :D Useless feature anyway!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Ross McDonagh
On 1/29/2021 at 5:02 AM, Timm Rehberg said:

*I recommand not to go above 2k textures :D Useless feature anyway!

I wholeheartedly agree.  I have an option-I can run 2K textures at 1440p on my 4K Gsync Monitor... OR... I can run 1024 textures at 4K and I get anywhere from 28-80fps in the FSL.   I’d say turn off FXAA if you can.  I’m running a 2080S 8GB... I’ll post settings here tomorrow.  I don’t see any reason we can’t get you up to speed.  

• Thanks 2
Ray Proudfoot
On 1/27/2021 at 12:27 AM, Fabrizio Pascucci said:

I build a new PC  with an i9-10900k and a RTX 3090 FE but it literally crawls If push the slider to the right inside P3dv5.

Can you clarify that statement? Which slider? Not all of them I trust. Even the best systems cannot run P3D with all settings maxed out.

With a resolution of 2560*1440 your system should run everything fine with suitable settings.

Fabrizio Pascucci
25 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Can you clarify that statement? Which slider? Not all of them I trust. Even the best systems cannot run P3D with all settings maxed out.

With a resolution of 2560*1440 your system should run everything fine with suitable settings.

Hi, the problem was the activation of MESSAGE TEXT in P3D options, that lead to kill the simulation.

I set the Pedal Disconnect is DOWN in the message, every lunch of the A320.

Thank's for your contribution in AVSIM.

• Like 1
Ray Proudfoot
9 minutes ago, Fabrizio Pascucci said:

Hi, the problem was the activation of MESSAGE TEXT in P3D options, that lead to kill the simulation.

I set the Pedal Disconnect is DOWN in the message, every lunch of the A320.

Thank's for your contribution in AVSIM.

So is the problem resolved? If so enjoy your wonderful system. :D

I can add to this topic seeing I just built a new system last month. I recently moved up from a P3Dv4.5 /8086K@ 5.1 /16GB DDR4 3600 /1080ti to the system you see listed in the signature below running P3Dv5.1. The 3090 and 10900K has allowed me to turn up my sliders and get super smooth performance regardless of where I fly. I use a Sony X800D 43in 4K TV @ 30hz. With my P3D settings the monitor controls my FPS which for me means I maintain 30FPS. I have flown everything from FSLabs, PMDG, TDFI, Maddog, etc along with nearly every top end payware scenery and my performance of where I go remains 30FPS. Yesterday I flew the FSLabs A321 from DD KEWR to FSDT KORD which I also using DD Chicago City X. I use pretty heavy ActiveSky settings with 5 cloud layers and distance. Throughout the entire flight my performance never left 30FPS, it was solid the entire flight. Even when I landed at KORD at night and hit the dynamic lighting of the terminal. Even LatinVFR's KMIA doesn't cause me any performance loss and it will push my VRAM to 8GB.  

What does the 3090 give me? It's not about FPS but handling the load (VRAM) and maintaining the performance (clock). With my old 1080ti I hated flying at night. Dynamic light would kill my performance. The 1080ti trying to push 4K at night maxed my GPU @ 100% along with stressing my CPU which resulted in mid to low 20's and inducted stutters. Now I fly when I want and where I want with no worries. In my P3D.CFG I had made 4 changes which has to do with texture loading and distance. This along with my slider settings allow the sim to load further out and faster eliminating that awful autogen loading we tend to get during flight. My friend just received his 3090 yesterday and he has the same specs as me with the same results. Even in MSFS2020 I have the majority of my settings @ Ultra and I maintain smooth 30FPS with VRAM hitting 12GB depending on location. Can you imagine what it will hit when 2020 moves over to DX12. In conclusion the 3090 might be overkill or a waste for some. For me, it has allowed me to turn up my settings and see things in the sim I was limited too in the past. It has also future proofed me for awhile. I originally wanted to get the 3080ti with 20gb of memory but the rumors on that card where up and down and then to actually get would would be impossible, just like the 3080. I had $200 store credit at Best Buy so the 3090 cost me what a 2080ti went for last year. To me it was a no brainer. Hope this review helps.  

Just wanted to add, I have not had a single CTD or DXGL Error Device Hung. The only thing that will kill the 3090 is the Green Text Message Bar in P3D, LOL. I'm also starting to move my slider more right to see how much more I can push it. 

A320.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • 1 year later...