Brake temps after landing ??

Dominik Jensen

Dominik Jensen

Hey there,

I've been flying the A320 frequently over the last months and I'm very happy discovering all the new features that came in after the latest updates. However there's one thing that I simply can't get behind:

After landing (exactly AFTER I have finished braking), the brake temperatures are getting higher and higher, even if I don't touch the brakes a single time. It won't stop until I'm at the gate! So, for example, if I land an average loaded A320 with autobrakes low, the brakes are, let's say 180°C, when I exit the runway. Then, while taxiing to the gate, brake temperatures will continuously rise as high as 300°C !! I always switch on the brake fans after landing and leave them on all the until deboarding and the next boarding are complete. But at a quick turnaround flight, I can hardly manage to get them below 100 degrees again before taxiing for the next takeoff.

It only happens after landing, NOT while taxiing from the gate to takeoff. What makes those brakes getting so hot without being used at all? Seems like anything would pretend the brakes from being properly released after landing (??). But I couldn't find out what - neither did I find a topic about this strange issue. Autobrakes are off while taxiing and me feet are centimeters away from the brake pedals.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Dominik

Sam Barry

When you say it's hard to get them below 100deg before next takeoff - this is what we experience IRL, it's quite hard to get them to cool enough.

When taxiing, the brake applications just to stop it accelerating too much, and for cornering will increase the temp.

Simon Brygg

Hello Dominik, 

This is absolutely normal and correctly simulated. The temps will "increase" according to the System wheel page after you stop braking. The "real" heat is generated during braking but the indication is something different. The heat will be produced during the braking it self but it will take some time for the heat to migrate over the disk and give you a correct temp reading in the cockpit. 

Same thing when you turn the Brake fans on, it will take a long time for the cooling effect to migrate throughout the disk. And the opposite where you getting the cooling effect in the area of the temp sensor and the indication on the wheel page is giving you a lower temp than the actual temp. 

Maximum temp for takeoff is 300 degrees celsius but its maximum 150 if you have been using the brake fans as you can't ensure that the "real" temp is below 300 and not just the area for the temp sensor. 

So you don't need to get the brakes down to "room temp" before the next takeoff. 300c without brake fans and 150 if you have been using them and you are good to go! 

/Simon

• Thanks 1
Dominik Jensen

Wow!! Couldn't imagine this would be "normal". Actually I felt a bit uncomfortable to take a gear inside the aircraft belly with brakes that could easily fry my chips for lunch :-o

Thanks for the precise clarification and the RL experience. So, is it pretty common to use the brake fans in the A320 between 2 flights in real life??

• Like 1
Stu Antonio
18 minutes ago, Dominik Jensen said:

So, is it pretty common to use the brake fans in the A320 between 2 flights in real life??

Yes, it is. Every airline might do it differently, some require lower temperatures for takeoff if you use brake fans while allow higher temps if you don‘t.

Here is a graph of a common 4-leg day which is pretty informative imo:

KyB3d.png

• Like 2
Mateusz Chalupniczak
On 1/20/2021 at 11:10 PM, Dominik Jensen said:

So, is it pretty common to use the brake fans in the A320 between 2 flights in real life??

Some airline doesn't have brake fans installed on their aircraft and still manages to fly frequently like wizzair for example. 35minutes (of a turnaround) is enough time to let brakes cool by themselves even from very hard/strong (in terms of braking action) landing.

From my experience, altough very small I can say it's possible to cool down brakes even from numbers like 550degrees and still depart on next leg on time.

WHAN NAMKOONG

First goto virtual cockpit and check your brake if automatically pushing down.

If it's so, go to control setting and delete brake from one of your control.

cuz it happened to me. Every first take of I had brake temp over 300.

I was rolling with brakes :P

Dominik Jensen
6 hours ago, WHAN NAMKOONG said:

First goto virtual cockpit and check your brake if automatically pushing down.

I've already checked that months ago and the brakes were set OK. That corresponds to the fact that at my first takeoff, the brakes stay cool, even after a long taxi with lots of turns. But now that we know it's normal in reality, everything is OK. ;) Happy flying!

• Haha 1