New PC

Matthias Kunze

Matthias Kunze
Hello, I am planning to configure a new PC.
My current PC is an i5-8400 with 32 GB RAM and a GTX1080 graphic card. On large Airports like EDDM, EDDF, EHAM and so on, I have poor 13 Frames/Sec on my monitor.
Now my question, would for example an i9-10900k with a RTX 3080 or maybe even a RTX 3090 bring significant improvements ?

Regrads Matthias
Norman Blackburn

Hi Matthias,

I went from an i7 4770 with a 970GTX (to a 2060 card for a few days) before changing to my current setup.  Its like night and day.  Mid / high teens to having practically everything to the right in 4K and 30+FPS at those airports.

Paul Ziegler

I just upgraded from an i5 4670k + GTX 1060 6Gb to an Ryzen 5 5600X + RX 6900XT (bit over the top with that cpu but got it cheap - it was cheaper then the smaller cards). I am waiting for my PSU to arrive on thursday, then i can give you information on how it performs with P3D v5.

• Like 1
Søren Dissing
7 hours ago, Matthias Kunze said:

Now my question, would for example an i9-10900k with a RTX 3080 or maybe even a RTX 3090 bring significant improvements ?

I came from an i7-7700k / 1080 to my present configuration, huge improvement.

Tim Nitz
1 hour ago, Paul Ziegler said:

I just upgraded from an i5 4670k + GTX 1060 6Gb to an Ryzen 5 5600X + RX 6900XT (bit over the top with that cpu but got it cheap - it was cheaper then the smaller cards). I am waiting for my PSU to arrive on thursday, then i can give you information on how it performs with P3D v5.

Thats exactly the config i want to go for, keep me updated :)

Markus Burkhard
8 hours ago, Matthias Kunze said:

You did not state whether you are using P3D version 4 or 5? Just for the record, the latter will of course give you the much bigger performance improvement due to DirectX 12, but it will also mean that a RTX 3080 might not be the perfect card to get.

In any case, yes, the parts mentioned will give you a dramatic improvement in performance over what you use currently. You'll jump several generations in hardware after all.
You might want to consider switching that CPU to a Ryzen 5900X, as it is slightly faster in single core performance, something that P3D likes a lot. AND it will give you a PCIe4 platform which you might want to use for faster storage at some point. 

As for the video card, I would suggest to choose the 3090 if budget is no concern at all, or either the AMD X6800 XT or X6900 XT if your budget does have limits. The reason being, 10GB of VRAM on the 3080 is not the optimal choice for P3Dv5. You CAN choose the 3080 of course, but you need to be aware that 10GB VRAM is not the most future proof purchase, though it works of course, for right now.

Make sure that when you choose CPU and GPU of such a performance level as you indicated, that you don't pair it with slow RAM. Something like old 2133 MHz DDR4 would be a big bottleneck. Even 2666 MHz would not be the best solution, though it would be sort of acceptable. However, it does not make sense to suggest buying a 3090 card while sticking with old and slow RAM ;) Things needs to be balanced to run at peak speeds and efficiency.

Koen Meier

AMD does like some fast ram timings as well CL14 rating ideally but interms of frequency above a certain threshold there is very little improvement.

Paul Ziegler

So my Power Supply arrived already yesterday and i managed to install p3d v5 and some addons. I have to say it performs superb. These are my exact specs:

Mainboard: ASUS TUF B550-M plus (Wifi)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X air-cooled at 4.2 GHz

GPU: AMD RX 6900XT (16GB VRAM)

RAM: 32Gb G.Skill 3200MHz CL16

HD: 1x 1TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen4 SSD, 1x 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus

PSU: beQuiet Straigh Power 11 750W Platinum

I today tested with FTX Global + FTX North America, Drzewiecki KORD and the FSLabsBus. Most scenery settings are one notch below maximum and Graphics is with FXAA=OFF, AA=8xSSAA. I get a very good performance usually around 30-40 fps in the very dense Chicago area with some spikes above and below this fps range. VRAM is around 5GB which caused my prior GPU to crash often (with much lower scenery settings). fps have been at around 10-15 before at lower settings so I would definetly say, the difference is like day and night. Will install more addons around europe now and do some more testing.

• Like 3