Assigning spare joystick axis to FCU or Floodlights

David Clark

David Clark

I have been searching forums for a while for specific guidance on this to no avail!

I have two spare rotary axes on my X56 HOTAS throttle and would like to be able to change heading or speed with them, or even just make them control the dome light rotaries. I guess in the sim these are not axis controls and are actually buttons with mouse click control?

I am already using FSUIPC for axis assignment and callibration, plus LINDA for some button assignments. I have read something about LUA modules for rotaries but can't find concrete tutorials.

Any ideas on if this is possible?

Thanks in advance!

image.png.a37536d95b3d10c31cb33a9416ac2290.png

David Clark
1 hour ago, Peter Pukhnoy said:

Hi David, here's a little lua function that should do the trick: FSL_axis_binding.lua

Here's what you'll need to do:

1.  Assign your axis to a spare FSUIPC offset (select Offset Word Set from the dropdown). You can use the free offset range that starts at 66C0. If you need to assign multiple axes, you will need to increment the offset by 2 for each axis (66C0, 66C2, 66C4 etc.). See screenshot below.
  2. Inside the script, call the bindAxis function with the name of the FSL control and the offset. The script comes with an example of that. All control names are listed here (an error was made the last time I compiled the document - instead of a word being emphasized there should be underscores surrounding the _word_.)

The script will require a lua library which you can download here (you only need the folder Modules\FSL2Lua from the archive which goes into your FSUIPC folder together with the script itself).

You can tell FSUIPC to auto-launch the script by including the following in your FSUIPC.ini (check if you already have the Auto section first):

[Auto]

1 = Lua FSL_axis_binding

fsuipc.PNG.95960c01764f7f625b9774307a413e94.PNG

Peter that is very good of you to take the time to explain, I will give it a go next time I’m allowed time off from the kids!! Just used up this week’s sim time allocation on the terrific VATSIM EDDF-EGLL event!

David 

David Clark

Hi Peter, I followed the instructions (I think) but it does nothing. I've attached all the screenshots except FSUIPC assignment because that is definitely identical to your screenshot. Maybe I am missing a step somewhere? Is it definitely x66C0 you type in FSUPIC because I notice the .lua says 0x66C0 ?

Thanks again, David 

image.png.a8ff33b6fff00deb39967e77f2c6730b.pngimage.thumb.png.e7e88a7c97b4297566e86eadb1140cff.png

image.thumb.png.bbb582d6d5d7e41d2bc2b28be19cb8d4.pngimage.png.ba6887a16853c15f94a538fecb500db4.png

Peter Pukhnoy
3 hours ago, David Clark said:

Is it definitely x66C0 you type in FSUPIC because I notice the .lua says 0x66C0 ?

x66C0 is fine, but it's 1=Lua FSL_axis_binding in the ini.

By the way, I can't imagine how one would use an axis for the FCU knobs because you would only be able to perform a single rotation.

Note that there is currently a bug in my library that may cause the virtual knob to jitter a bit while it rotates. I'll upload an update in a few days that will include a fix for that.

• Thanks 1
David Clark
On 1/23/2021 at 5:16 PM, Peter Pukhnoy said:

x66C0 is fine, but it's 1=Lua FSL_axis_binding in the ini.

By the way, I can't imagine how one would use an axis for the FCU knobs because you would only be able to perform a single rotation.

Note that there is currently a bug in my library that may cause the virtual knob to jitter a bit while it rotates. I'll upload an update in a few days that will include a fix for that.

Thanks Peter, all working now, assigned to flood lights as you say not so good for HDG...I even managed to reverse the axes with a ",*-1" entry in the FSUIPC.ini since the rotaries worked in reverse direction to the aircraft knobs...I am learning!

Roberto Villicana

Hi Peter, I have the same issue unfortunately it appears your response was either removed/deleted or is empty. Could you please repost it? 

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

image.thumb.png.23211d08420b1bd0c95ad163c6f0ec60.png

Peter Pukhnoy
6 hours ago, Roberto Villicana said:

Hi Peter, I have the same issue unfortunately it appears your response was either removed/deleted or is empty. Could you please repost it? 

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

image.thumb.png.23211d08420b1bd0c95ad163c6f0ec60.png

I deleted it because I'm going to post a less involved solution in a few days.