(Hopefully) small request regarding GSX integration

Michael Gold

Michael Gold

Simply put, I'd like to know if it's possible to add to the GSX integration where you hit the MECH call button and it brings the jetway/stairs and the ground power, to also connect the ground air conditioning? I don't think that's a GSX visual model, but just to have the built in A/C connect and disconnect as you cycle through the GSX preflight integration sequence. Thanks!

Koen Meier
4 hours ago, Michael Gold said:

Simply put, I'd like to know if it's possible to add to the GSX integration where you hit the MECH call button and it brings the jetway/stairs and the ground power, to also connect the ground air conditioning? I don't think that's a GSX visual model, but just to have the built in A/C connect and disconnect as you cycle through the GSX preflight integration sequence. Thanks!

Air conditioning unit is something that isn’t always added and airlines do have to pay for it during a turnaround so some don’t use it or just use the apu bleed air.

Markus Burkhard

This was left out deliberately since it is rather rarely used in day-to-day short haul ops with its fast turn-around times these days.

Michael Gold

I understand the reasoning, but it seems to me to be something relatively straight forward to include just as an option, perhaps not mandatory?

Sven Sappa

Out of curiousity as well, do they just keep the APU running for the whole turnaround? Especially when some Airports have mandatory APU restrictions for noise abatment.

+1 on the idea for the integration though.

Andrew Wilson

I think, if you connect a GSX Level 2 Jetway to the aircraft, then aircon is connected from that automatically? 

• Like 1
Robin Locher
2 hours ago, Andrew Wilson said:

I think, if you connect a GSX Level 2 Jetway to the aircraft, then aircon is connected from that automatically? 

If this GSX V2 Jetway has aircon then yes.
You can select it.

Michael Gold
5 hours ago, Andrew Wilson said:

That's neat but even so probably 9 times out of 10 I'm connected to a SODE gate.

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Gold
On 1/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, Markus Burkhard said:

This was left out deliberately since it is rather rarely used in day-to-day short haul ops with its fast turn-around times these days.

Just wanted to come back to this with a thought: this may be true for European operators, but my understanding is that ground air conditioning is used extremely frequently in the US -- so, to me, that seems like an added reason to give it as a non-mandatory option?

Holger Teutsch
On 1/4/2021 at 3:50 AM, Michael Gold said:

Problem is: Most jetways only depict it visually but they lack the defining variable for GSX to know that it has an AC unit. Otherwise the gsxautopilot script that you can find elsewhere would connect the unit. Unfortunately the GSX customization dialog can only add this attribute to the GSX generated jetways.

You can configure the gsxautopilot script that it always connects A/C wether it's there or not 8-) !

Felipe Widmano
On 1/6/2021 at 10:23 AM, Sven Sappa said:

Out of curiousity as well, do they just keep the APU running for the whole turnaround? Especially when some Airports have mandatory APU restrictions for noise abatment.

yea. 

At places like PMI or TFS that are very strict regarding APU usage they might turn it off after on-block and back on just before boarding to provide cool air in the cabin (if external AirCon isn't used). At 40°C OAT in the summer that is rather easy to justify as 'operationally required' versus the noise and pollution aspect.

Nowadays with EASA mandating the cabin airflow circulation be kept running at all times due to Covid you kinda need the APU bleed on anyway, so that waives most APU restrictions.

• Thanks 1