Samsung 980 Pro Query

Robbie Garrett

Robbie Garrett

Hey All,

I am looking to upgrade my PC, specs below.  However, It's only 3 years old - so I don't feel the need to upgrade anything other than the SSDs (2012 - which are some 8 years old now)

Has anyone got any experience running these on a PCIE 3.0?   The 970 Pro's are £70 more expensive each and I need 2 x 1TB (One for OS and Adobe Suite & the other for P3D/FS2020)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-7-000-Internes-Solid-MZ-V8P1T0BW/dp/B08GS7748F

Obviously when there's a Mobo/Processor out on Intel that does PCIE4 - It'll be a quick upgrade. 

Peter Hastings

Hi Robbie

While not answering your question directly, I can recommend a Sabrent alternative (which is also quite a bit cheaper):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW/ref=psdc_430505031_t3_B08GS7748F

I built a new PC over the summer which included one of these and I'm very happy with it.  It's split between an OS partition and a P3D partition - I've got various other 'legacy' SSD drives for Adobe scratch discs and project files.

I read lots of good reviews for the Sabrent that tipped me towards it (all my SSDs are Samsung) - my only caveat is that it's in an AMD X570 system, so I'm already using PCIE4.

• Like 1
Robbie Garrett
On 1/3/2021 at 8:48 PM, Peter Hastings said:

Hi Robbie

While not answering your question directly, I can recommend a Sabrent alternative (which is also quite a bit cheaper):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-Internal-Maximum-Performance-SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB/dp/B07TLYWMYW/ref=psdc_430505031_t3_B08GS7748F

I built a new PC over the summer which included one of these and I'm very happy with it.  It's split between an OS partition and a P3D partition - I've got various other 'legacy' SSD drives for Adobe scratch discs and project files.

I read lots of good reviews for the Sabrent that tipped me towards it (all my SSDs are Samsung) - my only caveat is that it's in an AMD X570 system, so I'm already using PCIE4.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I would be intrigued if my motherboard will take the PCIE4. NVMEs.  

• 4 weeks later...
Robbie Garrett

What do people cool there NVMEs with? One of the slots comes with a heatsink, the other does not. But a fan holder - minus the fan.

1 minute ago, Robbie Garrett said:

What do people cool there NVMEs with? One of the slots comes with a heatsink, the other does not. But a fan holder - minus the fan.

it depends. some motherboards come with an heath speader included as part of the shielding of the components. only the corsair comes with an heathsink attached i believe. the amount of heath generated is not that massive unless you are editing 4k footage perhaps. i would say look for an otherboard with an heath speader or just leave it off.

Robbie Garrett
On 1/30/2021 at 4:14 PM, Koen Meier said:

it depends. some motherboards come with an heath speader included as part of the shielding of the components. only the corsair comes with an heathsink attached i believe. the amount of heath generated is not that massive unless you are editing 4k footage perhaps. i would say look for an otherboard with an heath speader or just leave it off.

Yes that's what I am worried about.  I edit 4K videos in Premiere Pro for my YouTube channel of my real world flying.  I think that's what's knackering my current SSDs. Although they are now approaching 9 years old, that might have a factor or bearing.

I just want to ensure I am covered on all bases.  Slot 1 for the NVME (I'll put the OS here) has a heatsink with it.   Slot 2 where I'll place P3D/FS2020 (if it ever gets PMDG/FSL) only has a M.2.  fan holder (which is not fitted at this moment).

I also have the issue that my apartment has no air conditioning and gets to the low 30*Cs in the Summer.  I will be investing in AirCon this year as last 2 years London has been roasting. (I bet it snows this Summer....)  but either way, cooling in my place is a huge issue and I tend not to sim in the summer or render (But I want and need to)

Peter Hastings

Hi Robbie

I know that it's not like for like, but here's an observation from me.

As I said before, I got a Sabrent NVME and it's in an MSI X570 Tomahawk board.  You can get these sticks with heatsinks, I think, but mine didn't have one.  The motherboard did include them though - so the memory has a heat sink attached via a thermal pad.  There isn't a direct fan, but I have the same case as in your signature - a standard Corsair 750D.

I've just done a basic flight in the FSLabs A320X and these are the max temps my system showed.  It's got a reasonable CPU (AMD 3900X) but an oldish GPU (GTX 1060 6GB). The Sabrent NVME stick has the OS (W10) and P3D on it in separate partitions.

CPU 64c GPU 65c SSD/HDD 18-20c NVME 33c.  I'd guess that the ambient temperature was around 18/19c - there was nothing on the other 3 SSDs or the HDD that would have been in use.  I built the PC in September and haven't seen any crazy CPU/GPU temps so far.  I haven't seen anything to worry me about the NVME temps.

I have done some Premiere Pro video work in the past, but not since this new build - I I get any further info, I'll let you know.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...
Robbie Garrett

I got 2x 1TB Samsung 980 PRO w/ Heatsink, M.2 (2280), PCIe 4.0 (x4) for my build on the Black Friday Sales online.  Good deal really.

Couple of questions here:

1) I believe the SSDs that I have are in the wrong SATA ports to allow the NVME's.  It shouldn't be too hard to move them.

2) Re-installing Windows 10, do I pull the plug on the SSDs first or keep them in and choose to install the OS on one of the NVMEs? Then reformat the SSDs?

3) I have 2x 240GB SSDs, which Kingston Driver Manager says are in good health. Do I keep them to store %temp% video data etc for my video editing or just bin them?

I am especially curious does having 2x NVME and 2x SSDs slow things down?  Is it best to disconnect the SSDs once the NVMEs are up and running?

Peter Hastings

Hi Robbie

Again, I'm not answering your question directly, but just describing what I did for my new PC.

The previous one was based around an oldish SSD drive, but I wanted to have the W10 OS on the new NVME I'd bought -  as well as a partition for P3D.  So, I put together the new motherboard, CPU and NVME with the old GPU and installed W10 from a memory stick creating two partitions on the NVME.

I then installed my existing HDD and SSD drives with the same drive letter assignments (helping with things like Lightroom which I installed using previous backups).  I've still got the old system SSD drive sitting around doing nothing, but I don't need that storage space at the moment.

I had watched some videos on YT by Puget Systems and, based on these (eg the one at the end), I decided to have the Adobe software on the OS drive, reuse an SSD drive for the project files and another SSD for the media cache and scratch files.  This has worked pretty well.