Airline2Sim A320 Cadet

Greg Marshall

Daniel Corbe

At some point are there going to be tutorials centered around ignoring the flight computer and using VOR and ADF modes to navigate?  That's something I'm interested in and it's subject matter that not even Blackbox covers. 

Ben Weston
4 hours ago, Daniel Corbe said:

At some point are there going to be tutorials centered around ignoring the flight computer and using VOR and ADF modes to navigate?  That's something I'm interested in and it's subject matter that not even Blackbox covers. 

Hi Daniel, unlike the A300, the A320 can’t track a VOR or ADF out of the box so this kind of navigation is really not something you’d ever see in real life. Despite having a private pilot’s licence, I have to admit that I can’t fly with raw navigation modes to save my life so this is something I’d like to cover at some point. Something like a 737 or 747 classic would be better suited to it though. 
Cheers

Ben

• Like 1
Daniel Corbe
5 hours ago, Ben Weston said:

the A320 can’t track a VOR or ADF out of the box

This just isn't true.  You can manage VOR/ADF frequencies and course selection on the RAD/NAV page or directly by radio dial by flipping up the switch guard on the NAV button and pressing it.  If you don't have a flight plan, the plane will absolutely do radio navigation in managed mode.  

Koen Meier
12 minutes ago, Daniel Corbe said:

This just isn't true.  You can input VOR/ADF frequencies on the RAD/NAV page or directly by radio dial by flipping up the switch guard on the NAV button and pressing it.  If you don't have a flight plan, the plane WILL do radio navigation in managed mode.  

But how about RAW data flying

Ben Weston
20 minutes ago, Daniel Corbe said:

This just isn't true and it's even modeled correctly on the FSLabs.

Respectfully, I didn't say that it couldn't do it. I said that it can't do it out of the box as there's no way to couple the AP to a VOR or ADF in normal operations as you could with a 707, DC8 or 747 classic. If you can tune the navaid and/or enter radials/fixes in the MCDU then of course anything is possible, but I just don't see much point in doing this in an A320 in a world dominated by RNAV procedures. 

Certain departures may require tracking an outbound VOR radial (Schipol departures to the UK for example) but these are usually just drawn as a fix on the Nav display and done with heading select. 

Daniel Corbe
2 minutes ago, Ben Weston said:

I just don't see much point in doing this in an A320 in a world dominated by RNAV procedures. 

Certainly not for every day use but GPS has been known to fail.   It's a useful skillset to have in an emergency; especially if you're trying to land in backwater airports in parts of Russia and Africa ;)

It's fine if the answer is no.   I'll just go back to experimenting on my own.  

Ben Weston
1 minute ago, Daniel Corbe said:

Certainly not for every day use but GPS has been known to fail.   It's a useful skillset to have in an emergency; especially if you're trying to land in backwater airports in parts of Russia and Africa ;)

It's fine if the answer is no.   I'll just go back to experimenting on my own.  

I certainly agree with you on GPS failing, but having the IRSs all fail as well would be a pretty bad day. Let me talk to our pilots and see what we can do with this, it might be one for the First Officer Program. 

Stu Antonio

Waiting until Tuesday for the next episodes to air..... man, this feels like when Braking Bad was running :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
peter kelberg
41 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Waiting until Tuesday for the next episodes to air..... man, this feels like when Braking Bad was running :D

think you meant  breaking bad :)   although  you  could    spell  it  braking bad  if  you  were  taking  it :)

Stu Antonio
1 minute ago, peter kelberg said:

think you meant  breaking bad :)   although  you  could    spell  it  braking bad  if  you  were  taking  it :)

oh snap. yeah. breaking, of course. must have been half way still into my "brakes-getting-strangely-hot-in-winter-thread"...  :

• Haha 1
Luis Landa

@Ben WestonI’m enjoying this program but I’ve a suggestion: when you’re explaining something related to one of the displays it would have been nice to have some more zoom on the displays or to pop-up it. On my iPad it’s not so easy to see the text of the displays.

• Like 1
Ben Weston
1 hour ago, Luis Landa said:

@Ben WestonI’m enjoying this program but I’ve a suggestion: when you’re explaining something related to one of the displays it would have been nice to have some more zoom on the displays or to pop-up it. On my iPad it’s not so easy to see the text of the displays.

Yep we’re aware of this and are pondering what we can do. It was shot in 4K but the Airbus displays have pretty small fonts and I know it’s not always easily legible on a tablet. Time permitting, we may go back through and try to include some zooms on important sections of the Program. 

• 3 weeks later...
Liam Roberts

@Ben Weston

Took the plunge on this the other day and absolutely loving it! I thought I had a reasonable knowledge but I feel like I'm learning something new practically every minute and I love it!! 

I wanted to ask what you are using to move your camera views around as I am just using the basic pan and need a better solution - lol! 

• Thanks 1
Koen Meier
4 minutes ago, Liam Roberts said:

@Ben Weston

Took the plunge on this the other day and absolutely loving it! I thought I had a reasonable knowledge but I feel like I'm learning something new practically every minute and I love it!! 

I wanted to ask what you are using to move your camera views around as I am just using the basic pan and need a better solution - lol! 

It would be chaseplane or ezdok. My personal bet would be chaseplane.

Liam Roberts

Ah thanks! 

Lol hilariously after posting this I was watching episode 6 and at 52:48 they mention using ezdok. I'm going to have to check it out!! 

Thanks for your quick reply also 

Ben Weston

Hi Liam yes it’s Ezdok for the inside views and a mixture of CP and Ezdok for the exterior stuff. As much as I prefer the CP interface, I find Ezdok has a smoother pan and nicer effects. 

brendon powys

Just bought it today,well done very detailed videos ,pretty much thought i knew the airbus,but little did i know.

Amazing learning curve for my brain :) nice work Ben

Oh! and for the Fslabs team man this AC is just full of hidden gems

thanx for airline2sim for showing the full potential of the LABS

• Thanks 1
Ben Weston
1 hour ago, brendon powys said:

Just bought it today,well done very detailed videos ,pretty much thought i knew the airbus,but little did i know.

Amazing learning curve for my brain :) nice work Ben

Oh! and for the Fslabs team man this AC is just full of hidden gems

thanx for airline2sim for showing the full potential of the LABS

Yep I absolutely agree. Wait until we start breaking things, you ain’t seen nothing yet :)

Bob Zolto

Do you load up your A320 and follow along with the episodes?  I try, lots f pausing and switching.

• 3 weeks later...
Stu Antonio

I'm a little irritated.

So the release of new episodes suddenly stopped after ep25. episodes 26 and 27 were due feb09, ep28 on the 16th..... but nothing has been released yet.
I asked via chat (2 weeks ago) and they said they are still working on it an it will take another week or so. But it's still not available.

No official Notam any more, no statement or reply in the official forum, they didn't even change the release dates (still "feb09)" on the video placeholders.
And on top of that, there are full episodes publicly accessible (not gonna post that link here)!

So I'm kinda asking myself why I spent money on it or what exactly I bought. Is everything okay at Airline2Sim?
The program started really awesome and now it's somehow falling apart... 

Anyone else has more info on the matter?

Bob Zolto

Stu, he said he wasn't happy with the video quality and wanted to redo some.