Airline2Sim A320 Cadet

Greg Marshall

Ryan Breaker

Picked it up and just got to episode 3, loving it so far. Once I'm through what's been released so far I'll go back and start on their Q400 series.

Stu Antonio

Thought about getting this too, I always like to learn new stuff. But I am worried that this doesn‘t teach me anything Blackbox didn‘t cover in his videos & streams. From the trailer it looks a little like it....  But idk? 

• Like 1
Ju_li_en Ke_ml_er

I bought their 777 program. It was quite helpful since I was  acomplete novice went it came to boeing.

Their videos are fantastic and beautifully edited but I find them a bit too slow for my taste.

I'm afraid that if you are to the point where you have 2k comments on this forum and watch blackbox you won't  learn much from these videos. You might learn some piece of trivia or a few things here and there but bare in mind that these videos are aimed at complete beginners.

I'm gonna buy it anyway  because anyway because I like the effort put into it, how well tthey are made and how it can bring more people to appreciate  how detail fslabs work is. I think it should be rewarded.

Also, anyone remember the introduction videos they made when the a320x was first released for fsx ?  I was blown away, instantly hooked, and my F5 key was never the same after i finished watching these videos. I bought the 320 on day one.

Scott Harmes

The long awaited release of the A320 program by Airline2Sim has been released, although just the first six episodes are available, with future episodes to be released at scheduled times.  I have bought it, and am very impressed by the the first three episodes I have watched.  The FSLabs A320 is a standout star in the series, with the RW pilot James being very impressed with the systems simulation and features so far.  I just finished watching an episode where they were looking at the accumulator hydraulic pressure for the brakes, and amazingly draining the pressue by setting and releasing the parking brake over and over.  Even more amazingly, as with the real world A320, they were able to replenish the accumulator hydraulic pressure by opening the cargo door, which runs the electric hydraulic pump in normal use, so as not to eat in to the accumulator pressure.  Just amazing that this has been simulated.  They also noted how the engine blades made a ticking sound when the plane was just sitting at the ramp, the blades just spinning in the wind, and this was replicated too, although it didn't seem to be working when I checked that on my A320 (perhaps a sound setting, or perhaps too much ambient noise, I'm not sure).

I am keen to check if the engines can be started using the regular procedure when in an IAE engined A320, as according to James IRL the engines can not be started with a tailwing greater than 10 knots, and the manual start procedure must be used.  Very interesting stuff!

Heres the link for Airline2Sims new website.  Note that any previous Airline2Sim customers need to create a new account on this website using their old email address, and creating a new password.  Any of the old courses that were purchased have been transferred to the new site and will show up under your new account as long as you create the new account with the same email address.

https://www.airline2sim.com/

Cheers,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Stu Antonio

I don’t know, it sounds like there are a lot of infos in there but I don’t quite understand what I actually get. Videos?
I find this quite expensive tbh, 50,- euro for some videos I don’t even get to have right away but wait 2 months for?.... I think I’ll wait until this is on sale or something.....

• Like 1
Robert Sutherland

These videos are great. They are detailed, easy-to-understand explanations of how the plane is operated and the logic that went into its creation, with a pilot who has a deep understanding of it. Airline2Sim have done videos for the Q400 and the 777 which were both excellent, too. 

The release schedule is a bit new (typically they release them in bulk) but I'm pretty sure that as they come they'll be great.

I'm a fan of BlackBox's videos but I find these to be a bit easier to understand.  

Ben Weston

Thanks for the kind comments guys, we worked hard on this Program and I’m pretty sure by the end of 27 episodes there won’t be much left to learn about this fantastic aircraft. We also have plenty left to put into a subsequent series with all the failures that the FSL guys have modelled. 

In terms of the schedule, pretty much all the episodes are complete so the staggered release gives us a little time for post-production tweaks (for example we replaced all the exterior footage with new stuff shot in V5) and adding any pertinent content where necessary. This is quite useful as we realised that extra focus was needed on the Flight Mode Annunciator between our base and line training sections so were able to go back and insert it.  Either way by the end of Jan the whole program will be completed and online.

I’m also a big fan of Blackbox’s content too but I feel there’s room for everyone on the sofa.

For example, the flightdeck2sim guy streams himself flying the 737 all the time but it doesn’t stop me getting 10 emails a week from people desperate for a training series for the NG. We do things our way and it seems to work so I’m grateful for your support. I’ve created a discount code for this forum - FSL5 gets you £5 off if you want to hop onboard.

I’d also like to extend my thanks to the FSL guys for creating such an amazingly detailed aircraft that really is the star of the show. You ain’t seen nothing yet :)

• Like 10
Rafal Haczek
3 minutes ago, Ben Weston said:

such an amazingly detailed aircraft that really is the star of the show

Indeed, plus you know what, Ben?
Your 2016 YT video on FSLabs A320 has been the final drop for me to buy it.
Now, see, I fly nothing else. How could you?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Koen Meier

@Ben Weston again fantastic work on this series. And now that gsx has added gpu support it is even more complete. Looking forward to the episodes on cat3 landing, icing and atsu. Even though I think I know everything by now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Darcy Coutts

I bought this and have watched the first 3 episodes.  It is awesome and I am learning so much more about the systems. 

Good job.  

• Thanks 1
Stu Antonio

Just watched the first episode. Very nice narration/chemistry, looking forward to the program. And boy those visuals look awesome, hope there is a little settings/plugins info somewhere :) 

• Thanks 1
Michael Ackermann

I really like the package. Even though I'm a regular Blackbox viewer, it's still a pleasure to learn the little details.

Nice example in the Episode 3 Flight Deck Tour. BRK Y ACCU LO PR, and then using the Cargo door. I almost fell off my chair this is modelled in the FSLabs A320 :). Great stuff !

Mike

• Thanks 1
Abbat Hernaez

They are really well done and add offer something you won't find in other videos: a guy making lots of questions about every little thing and a pilot with the knowledge to answer them, plus adding anecdotes . Even listening them talk about the goddam pilot seat brings lots of amusing and interesting information. It really is making this plane much more alive for me.

• Thanks 1
Stu Antonio
1 hour ago, Luis Landa said:

@Ben WestonAny problem with module two? It should have been released yesterday but I don’t have it on my account.

I was told it will be released today at 0900z. 

• Like 1
Ben Weston

Morning gents! 

Yep module two is just about to go live any moment now. Our original schedule was to launch a day earlier than we subsequently did, so the amended schedule is shifted forward by a day. 

The FMA video (next up) is probably the most crucial of the whole program so grab a coffee and spend a bit of time absorbing it. This is definitely one of those videos where you discover the gaping holes in your knowledge! 

FMA.00_07_42_24.Still021.png?v=160967295

FMA.00_35_51_04.Still029.png?v=160967700

FMA.00_27_58_12.Still028.png?v=160967332

FMA.00_22_54_16.Still027.png?v=160967329

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Ben Weston
3 hours ago, Luis Landa said:

@Ben WestonThank you for adding episode 7. Quite interesting.

Thank you. Confirms that I made the right decision to keep it in.  

I was reluctant as the microphone quality at James’ end was not up the studio quality across the rest of the course, due to him being in a hotel at Airbus in Toulouse. But the content is fantastic and really helps with understanding what’s going on in the rest of the program, especially the LOC DME approach we do in the next sector. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Ben Weston
3 hours ago, Ivan Majetic said:

Thank you so much for a great course. Keep it coming Ben!

Don’t worry plenty more to come. I’m just putting the finishing touches to the winter operations video as we speak. Boy it feels chilly just watching it...brrrrr

2021-1-7_18-48-51-350.png?v=16100466632021-1-7_18-29-6-931.png?v=1610046499

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Stu Antonio

Currently watching episode 11. I really love it so far, worth every penny and already learned quite a bit (I especially enjoyed James going over every button/knob/switch), but I’m a tiny bit disappointed that you keep using the auto-fill functionality for the weight/CG. It feels a little strange, because afaik this isn’t possible in the real aircraft and since you simulate somewhat real airline operations, I’m confused why James consider this “the best way to do it”.... 

Will there be a more detailed and realistic look into loadsheets, passengers & weights and day to day handling of these topics (i.e. last minute changes) in a later episode?

Greetings
Stu

Ben Weston
1 hour ago, Stu Antonio said:

Currently watching episode 11. I really love it so far, worth every penny and already learned quite a bit (I especially enjoyed James going over every button/knob/switch), but I’m a tiny bit disappointed that you keep using the auto-fill functionality for the weight/CG. It feels a little strange, because afaik this isn’t possible in the real aircraft and since you simulate somewhat real airline operations, I’m confused why James consider this “the best way to do it”.... 

Will there be a more detailed and realistic look into loadsheets, passengers & weights and day to day handling of these topics (i.e. last minute changes) in a later episode?

Greetings
Stu

Thanks for the feedback Stu. I think we did it this way in the earlier line flights to speed things up. As you’ve seen, there’s a vast amount to cover and we wanted to get a sense of the urgency of the time pressures of flying on the line so the stuff that takes you out of the sim - loading the fuel, payload etc - we did ‘off camera’.

However, when we move the action to Berlin in the next few episodes we do a very detailed run through of the ATSU and the loading sequence/fuel/performance entry and this is against a take off slot deadline and min takeoff fuel limitation also so it’s quite dramatic! I think this will cover pretty much all of your questions. 

We also have a new pilot who’s ironically also called James - Captain James this time  - to do our IAE and A321 differences video and he’s also my neighbour and furloughed at the moment so my age old problem of having access to the pilots for my endless daft questions is solved for now. 

There will hopefully be an opportunity in a week or so for me to make a ‘tell us what you’d like to learn about’ video and we can cover it with Captain James, so if you feel that this topic needs more attention I can put it in there. 

Stu Antonio
2 minutes ago, Ben Weston said:

Thanks for the feedback Stu. I think we did it this way in the earlier line flights to speed things up. As you’ve seen, there’s a vast amount to cover and we wanted to get a sense of the urgency of the time pressures of flying on the line so the stuff that takes you out of the sim - loading the fuel, payload etc - we did ‘off camera’.

However, when we move the action to Berlin in the next few episodes we do a very detailed run through of the ATSU and the loading sequence/fuel/performance entry and this is against a take off slot deadline and min takeoff fuel limitation also so it’s quite dramatic! I think this will cover pretty much all of your questions. 

We also have a new pilot who’s ironically also called James - Captain James this time  - to do our IAE and A321 differences video and he’s also my neighbour and furloughed at the moment so my age of problem of having access to the pilots for my endless daft questions is solved for now. 

There will hopefully be an opportunity in a week or so for me to make a ‘tell us what you’d like to learn about’ video and we can cover it with Captain James, so if you feel that this topic needs more attention I can put it in there. 

Yeah, I already got the sense that you have some sort of strategy to slowly build up the lessons/knowledge and go from big to small, which totally makes sense. And I didn’t want to overthinkt it, I was just a little irritated that you guys use the FSL „shortcuts“. :)

Sounds good then, thanks, I‘m looking forward to what‘s still ahead.

• Thanks 1
Chris Frasure

So I had some extra cash sitting around and decided to pull the trigger on this.  I am so glad that I did.  I have two things to say about it.  First, I took a lot for granted bc the switches and etc that I use on every flight were routine.  I learned what a lot of the other buttons are used for during non-normal flight.  The second, and most important take away was that I realized even more how much of a stupendous job FSLabs has done modeling this plane.  For instance.  While studying the yellow hydraulic system (hydraulic as in general) I saw that when the engines are off, you can lose hydraulic pressure by turning the parking brake on and off.  You can refill the accumulator by opening the cargo door.  Something so small is modeled in this software.  So cool to see it in action.  You know I love you guys but this makes me appreciate you even more and now I realize why you never rush anything to market. Blown away.  KUDOS

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Ben Weston

I'm loving the feedback from you guys on this - and again thanks to@Lefteris Kalamaras@Andrew Wilsonand all the team for creating the star of the show! I was mulling over whether to move ahead with a First Officer Program for the A320 or prioritise our long awaited 737 NGXu Program next, but seeing how well this one has been recieved and how keen you guys are to learn more - it's a no brainer to continue to explore the capabilites of the A320 with all those 'bad day' switches. Although our line flight to Tenerife has a sting in the tail ;)

ETA - I've extended the duration of the discount code I posted earlier - FSL5 is once again valid...

2021-1-8_10-21-21-869.png?v=1610101330

• Like 3
Fabrice Paulin

@Ben Weston Videos are incredibly useful and interesting, thanks!

could you add a « 15 seconds back » to the video reader? This would enable people that are not fluent in english (like me :-))to listen the latest sentence again? Or to come back on the latest information to ensure that they understood it correctly?
another solution would be to add an english subtitle option but that’s far more expensive I guess :-)

thanks for the work done!

Stu Antonio
5 hours ago, Fabrice Paulin said:

@Ben Weston Videos are incredibly useful and interesting, thanks!

could you add a « 15 seconds back » to the video reader? This would enable people that are not fluent in english (like me :-))to listen the latest sentence again? Or to come back on the latest information to ensure that they understood it correctly?
another solution would be to add an english subtitle option but that’s far more expensive I guess :-)

thanks for the work done!

At least on my iPad, I can skip back (and forth) 10 sec. by double-tapping the left/right side of the player window.... 
On a PC you can normally skip around with the use of arrow keys in 5sec-incements.

• Like 1
Ben Weston
3 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

At least on my iPad, I can skip back (and forth) 10 sec. by double-tapping the left/right side of the player window.... 
On a PC you can normally skip around with the use of arrow keys in 5sec-incements.

I didn’t know that and it’s my company :) 

• Haha 2
Stu Antonio
3 minutes ago, Ben Weston said:

StuConsulting Inc. was happy to be of service. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Fabrice Paulin
4 hours ago, Ben Weston said:

The video player on your website has probably been developed by StuConsulting Inc. :-):D

I just watched the video with weather avoidance: excellent!

• Thanks 1
Ben Weston
17 minutes ago, Fabrice Paulin said:

The video player on your website has probably been developed by StuConsulting Inc. :-):D

I just watched the video with weather avoidance: excellent!

The crazy weather was entirely unplanned also! The hottest day of the summer in Western Europe had some nasty surprises in store. Wait until Palma where the APU dies and we have no air conditioning :)

• Like 1
Simon Brygg
On 1/5/2021 at 10:03 AM, Ben Weston said:

FMA.00_27_58_12.Still028.png?v=160967332

Hello Ben, just some feedback on something I noticed in this picture.

The "LVR CLB” is not triggered at acceleration altitude but at thrust reduction altitude. Acceleration altitude will trigger the FD pitch mode to change from SRS to CLB or OP CLB :)

Ben Weston
13 hours ago, Simon Brygg said:

Hello Ben, just some feedback on something I noticed in this picture.

The "LVR CLB” is not triggered at acceleration altitude but at thrust reduction altitude. Acceleration altitude will trigger the FD pitch mode to change from SRS to CLB or OP CLB :)

Yep this is true. I think in the FMA video the ACCEL ALT and the THR RED ALT were the same, so LVR CLB and the change from SRS to CLB all happened at the same time, hence the confusion. I’ve changed this to THR RED and noted it for a revision when we get some spare rendering time. We do however do a whole section on the differences between ACCEL ALT and THR RED alt where this will be spelled out, so this is our only booboo thus far. 

Ben Weston
15 minutes ago, Michael Petersen said:

Anyone have an ideer how to chromecast the episodes to my tv?

Thanks MIchael Moe

We’re talking to Vimeo about this now. It’s possible with an Apple TV but as Apple fanboy I’m afraid I don’t have a chromecast to try it with. 

• Thanks 1
Esbjörn Olsson

If you have the chrome browser on your pc and the chromecast on the same network it is possible view on a tv. I did that. You have 3 small dots at the top on the right hand side of the browser. Push that and you have an option to Cast there.

Esbjörn Olsson

• Thanks 1