Theo Haralambof

Theo Haralambof

Hi!

I saw that REX Skyforce has been released as beta for P3D5, has anyone installed and tested it? If so, can you share your REX settings?
If you use other addons like ENVTEX/ENVSHADE/Active Sky Cloud Art, can you also share your experience and settings?

I actually installed RexSF last night and tested it.

Initially I could not start P3D5, getting constant CTDs, but it turned out I just had to restart Windows to launch the sim with no problem.
So, it is working fine and looking great, as always. I installed its textures for sky and clouds plus some goodies like lightning and sounds.

For live weather I use HiFi Sim ActiveSky P3D (by the way installed the latest open beta 7660).
I have deactivated Envtex, as I don't need it anymore using Rex. I keep using Envshade and share my settings below if you need them for any reason.
I also decided to stop using ASCA and uninstalled it. Honestly, I have always had mixed feelings about it, so now it's time to rest from it a bit.

One more thing to be clear: I do not use EA, as, I in my view, flaws are more evident than advantages.

All in all, I made only two short FSL A321 flights (FRA->MUC and back) and everything worked and looked flawlessly.
I am glad so far and will see following days how things are.

envshade2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing Rafal. Interesting, I’m feeling tempted to maybe try RexSF again after all. I’ve purchased it for v4 but never quite liked the more puffy look of the clouds so I never used/installed it. But I feel the need for a change after some years of ASCA so maybe I’ll give it another try. 

6 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

My feelings exactly, Stu! ;)

Than again... I can't find any information on a release for P3Dv5.... Within my Rex account I'm not presented with any info either. Where can I get this? 

7 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Than again... I can't find any information on a release for P3Dv5.... Within my Rex account I'm not presented with any info either. Where can I get this? 

Disregard that is for weather force.

David Norfolk
9 hours ago, Theo Haralambof said:

Hi!

I saw that REX Skyforce has been released as beta for P3D5, has anyone installed and tested it? If so, can you share your REX settings?
If you use other addons like ENVTEX/ENVSHADE/Active Sky Cloud Art, can you also share your experience and settings?

These are what i use. (3D Clouds Set 12, Cirro-type Set 18, Sky Dawn Set 15, Sky Day Set 19, Sky Dusk Set 26, 10 Day Cylce Set 01, Sun/Effects Set 19, Moon Set 02, Lightning Set 01). No other shaders or anything. The photos are what's being use currently just in case you wanted photos 

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_1.png

• Like 2
Theo Haralambof

Thank you all for sharing your experience :D

ATM I'm installing REX SkyForce. I think I'll go for the combo AS / SkyForce / EnvShade with EA off. I'll try with this and see if it please me... I'll try to share here (if I don't forget...).

• Like 2
Peter Meinel

I was trying out every combination possble. Weatherengine always ActiveSky, Enshade and EA off, combination Envtex with ASCA clouds, then only Rex Skyforce, RSF with Envtex and so on. Finally I ended up with just Envtex for everything. So ASCA RSF sitting on the shelf for now. :o

Peter

I haven't used SkyForce in a while.  I have an installer for P3d v4.  I gather this beta is for a v5 update.  Since I don't have P3d v4 installed, do I just have to wait for the beta to go live?

12 minutes ago, Bob Zolto said:

I haven't used SkyForce in a while.  I have an installer for P3d v4.  I gather this beta is for a v5 update.  Since I don't have P3d v4 installed, do I just have to wait for the beta to go live?

Not sure what you‘re asking. The available Beta supports P3Dv5.1 (as well as v4 I think). The installer you have seems to be for v4, which you also don‘t have.... right?

So just get the Beta for v5 then :) 

6 minutes ago, Bob Zolto said:

That did sound confusing :rolleyes:.   So what I need is the technical update 2.5?

To work with P3Dv5.1, yes. 

• 2 months later...

I'm using the SF3D beta in P3d V5.1 but I cannot get it to install the textures to the sim. It says that the texture/theme is installed but it's not showing up. When I look at the "currently in sim" page, it does not show the texture selections that I have supposedly uploaded.

Also, I have the correct sim path set up but it still says that the active sim is Flight Simulator X, which is incorrect.

Any advice gratefully received!

Luke

Rafal Haczek

@Luke Hall, make sure you have downloaded the right installer from the REX website.

Then, when you go to General Settings, what sim location can you see as selected?
Make sure it's the right one. Below see my example:

rex1.jpg

35 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

@Luke Hall, make sure you have downloaded the right installer from the REX website.

Then, when you go to General Settings, what sim location can you see as selected?
Make sure it's the right one. Below see my example:

rex1.jpg

Hi Rafal,

I'm using the beta and there is only one download/installer. My simulator path is also correct. Thanks :-)

Rafal Haczek

@Luke Hall, When you select REX textures and install them into the sim, can you see the top green bar confirming successful install?

install.jpg

And one more question: is your P3D's EA TrueSky off?

2 minutes ago, Rafal Haczek said:

@Luke Hall, When you select REX textures and install them into the sim, can you see the top green bar confirming successful install?

install.jpg

Yes, that's showing but I'm not seeing any change in the sim.

Ray Proudfoot

Wow! Paying $35 to beta test software. If they'd offered it at half price that might just about be acceptable.

But this is a growing trend that I will never accept. Beta testing should be conducted by invitees or volunteers who work hard to find bugs. In return they get a free copy of the software. Once the product is robust only then should it go on sale.

Rafal Haczek
9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Wow! Paying $35 to beta test software.

Actually, it is beta, as SkyForce3D was originally developed for earlier versions of Prepar3D.
Compatibility for P3Dv5 was added in the latest beta, so it can be downloaded and installed at no cost by every owner of the original version.

David Norfolk
17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Wow! Paying $35 to beta test software. If they'd offered it at half price that might just about be acceptable.

But this is a growing trend that I will never accept. Beta testing should be conducted by invitees or volunteers who work hard to find bugs. In return they get a free copy of the software. Once the product is robust only then should it go on sale.

Lol the V5 update is free. 

Ray Proudfoot

If it’s a free update for existing owners of an earlier version then fine. It’s your choice. But new customers should refrain from buying.

David Norfolk
2 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If it’s a free update for existing owners of an earlier version then fine. It’s your choice. But new customers should refrain from buying.

Why? they've clearly stated that's open beta. if they wish to purchase it, let them. i've had no issues with it 

Ray Proudfoot
40 minutes ago, David Norfolk said:

Why? they've clearly stated that's open beta. if they wish to purchase it, let them. i've had no issues with it 

It’s a growing trend and should be resisted. I have plenty of issues with it. Never used to happen and you’ll never see FS Labs do it.

Marvin Toepfer

I agree with Ray that devs tend to sell beta versions to users. So they get paid for letting people work for them. This is also not okay in my eyes but if people are willing to do so - go ahead ;)

But in this case, they released SkyForce not for v5. The product page clearly says v4+. If you go further on the support page, you will see that SkyForce is in public beta testing. You can buy it now and test it in v5, or use it in v4 for what it was released. Thats a very different case for me here.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

It’s a growing trend and should be resisted. I have plenty of issues with it. Never used to happen and you’ll never see FS Labs do it.

I'd suggest you stay well away from Star Citizen then! ;-)

Thanks for the help posted here. I have managed to get it working after a reinstall. Very odd, but hey!

Luke

Andrzej Salega

Hi Guys,

I have Active Sky + REX SF + Envshade, do you think it's better to use clouds/texture sync in REX or create some theme by your own and install textures into sim ? Second question is I'm not sure if I should turn off turbulence and icing in REX setttings, I assume Active sky is 'responsible' for this ? however if REX weather engine is off then maybe these settings don't matter :huh:

[Edit] Nevermind I got info that I have to install textures and these REX will inject..

Edited by Andrzej Salega
Edit