Sharklets "NEOL"

David Norfolk

David Norfolk

Hello, so someone posted this video from the fsl discord & the one & only mr pascal informed me on what this actually is and I quote "this lamp is called "NEOL" Near-End-Of-Lifetime. This lamp will flash up when the LED plate needs to be replaced within the next time - before the strobe light fails completely". I never knew this was a thing and immediately thought this has to be done on the sharks. I don't know if time has already passed on adding things like this but it would pretty cool to see it on your expansion. (Replacing them could be changed by doing via the mcdu or something perhaps?)

Koen Meier

It is a preventive maintenance solution. Not sure I want to worry about that myself when flying cause you would have to do the walk around. Gsx won’t spot the problem. Normally the push crew does their own walk around.

David Norfolk
9 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Your idea just delayed the sharklets 6 additional months. :D

Hahahaha if that's the case, don't worry about it. It's totally not important ;)

• Haha 1
Koen Meier
17 minutes ago, Jose Ignacio Rodriguez said:

How long is such expected lifetime of the led strobe? Not sure if - even modeled by FSL-  I'd ever see it in the sim

Given that it has an indication light when faulty I would assume it remains there fore quite some time until replaced either by aircraft maintenance check or if it was reported.

David Norfolk

They're also very good on power. Not sure if it applies to the airbus world but LEDS use alot less power and last alot longer. Which is most likely why most of their planes now are kitted out with LEDS

• Like 1
Jose Ignacio Rodriguez

5,000 to 50,000 hours makes an average of 27,000 hours of lifetime. A Real World pilot would barely be reaching that figures by the end of his career.... Under that circumstances, I think it is so unusual to see this Strobes function in real life, that I'd be happy for FSL not to model it, if this means a faster release process for the Sharklets...