TOGA projects (envshade, envtex) - your experiences?

Remo Baumann

Good morning everybody

My present simulator setup is as following: P3Dv5, Active sky, ASCA, FSLabs airbusses. 

Does anyone have experience with the different products of TOGA projects? Is there a big noticeable change to recognize regarding atmosphere lightning and so on?

Thanks for your share of experience. 

Happy landings, Remo

Holger Teutsch

I very much liked both in the non-EA world. With EA I stick with the default shaders. I no longer see that much improvement with envshade and on the negative side it turns streets at night into an agressive yellow/red that looks completely unreal.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

• Thanks 1
Jonah Desrochers

Been a long time user of the products. I'll echo Holger, but with that said I still use both Envtex and Envshade with EA on. For Less than $15 for BOTH, you can't really go wrong. There's customizability and frequent updates. Whatever issue people people may have with the products, rest assured they will be fixed and supported.

Only downside at the moment on my system--and this is not an FSLABS issue, is the wonderful HB textures VC pack. This pack is not yet fully optimized for EA. As a result, with Envshade and EA enabled, the carpet is nearly black. HB says he may look into fixing this if Lockheed doesn't release another hotfix soon. I'm not sure this is an Envshade issue though, as I haven't tried it with default shaders.

If you elect to keep EA off, even better. Envtex has built in ASCA integration and has much much much better sky textures, and adds better looking clouds to compliment ASCA as well.

I've been using Envtex and Envshade for several years now, and despite experimenting with PTA and Tomatoshade in between, as a real world airline pilot, I keep coming back to TOGA products as the most realistic immersive experience. I can't recommend them highly enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Danny Krautwurst

I also have P3Dv5.1Hotfix1, Active sky, ASCA, FSLabs airbusses and EvnShade & Evntex ! EA is off and I think the clouds are better too! I agree with Holger and Jonah. Preformance also no Problem(Because Good Settings via EVNDIR & Ubdates also VERY GOOD and EARLY ! See Foto for Changelogs(LAST 2 months)Unbenannt.png

5 hours ago, Jonah Desrochers said:

I still use both Envtex and Envshade with EA on.

Does Envtex's sky textures override EA's?

Good morning,

Wow, thanks a lot for your detailed and valuable reports. So it seems to be worth to give it a try. I will take a look at it next weekend or next week and report back with my experiences. 

Regards, Remo

Holger Teutsch

So guys, as it is not likely that a fix will come out very soon I created a patch that reverts the burning streets at night to p3d's default:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/112JsBsK4lRg3SA5iMmUDZFjNHisqwpxK?usp=sharing

So you have the option of:

1. Insert 3 lines into ..\ShadersHLSL\Terrain.fx as shown in the screen shot
  2. run the python script
  3. run the exe (created from the python script)

The scripts create a backup file. Run these after each shader update from Envdir. All other functionality of ENVSHADE should be untouched.

And don't ask for support in the Toga forum. ;)

Use at your own risk of course.

Jonah Desrochers
16 hours ago, Atul Mishra said:

Does Envtex's sky textures override EA's?

No it does not. It does however override ASCA sky textures (EA Off), which are pretty god awful in my opinion. With EA on, you still enjoy all the default texture replacements with ENVTEX. With ENVSHADE, EA looks much better to me. Way less yellow/warm than default.

Thanks. Yeah, it does look a little different and better I think. Wish there was some dawn/dusk sky textures options for EA's defaults. :D

On 12/7/2020 at 7:28 PM, Jonah Desrochers said:

Been a long time user of the products. I'll echo Holger, but with that said I still use both Envtex and Envshade with EA on. For Less than $15 for BOTH, you can't really go wrong. There's customizability and frequent updates. Whatever issue people people may have with the products, rest assured they will be fixed and supported.

Only downside at the moment on my system--and this is not an FSLABS issue, is the wonderful HB textures VC pack. This pack is not yet fully optimized for EA. As a result, with Envshade and EA enabled, the carpet is nearly black. HB says he may look into fixing this if Lockheed doesn't release another hotfix soon. I'm not sure this is an Envshade issue though, as I haven't tried it with default shaders.

If you elect to keep EA off, even better. Envtex has built in ASCA integration and has much much much better sky textures, and adds better looking clouds to compliment ASCA as well.

I've been using Envtex and Envshade for several years now, and despite experimenting with PTA and Tomatoshade in between, as a real world airline pilot, I keep coming back to TOGA products as the most realistic immersive experience. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Hi Jonah

Yesterday I installed ENVTEX and ENVSHADE. However I didn`t have enough time to do a thoroughly testing of different settings and so on. 

My intention is to use these add-ons with EA off and ASCA integration. Do you have any recommended settings? As a real world airline pilot I am sure you know how it should look like ;)

Kind regards, Remo

Jonah Desrochers

The biggest thing is to enable ASCA integration and have the correct path in ENVTEX. These are the settings I used before I switched to using EA on,  and are my personal preference:

Sky: Dynamic Sky 24h set to Random, Sky for ASCA Set 2 (Uses Envtex Sky Textures only)

Clouds: Set 1 for everything

Astronomical Objects: Sun set 2, Sun Flare without lens effects, Moon set 2, Aurora Randomly visible, Milky Way Set 1 Discrete

Water: Waves Set 7, Set 1 Photoreal for everything else

Ground: normal set 1, hard runway set 3, other runway set 2, airport signs set 1

Special effects: Contrails set 3 thicker photoreal, various set 1 intense, lightning set 2, environment map set 2

Envshade set to high performance.

Again, these are my personal preference with ASCA plus EA off. I'm sure others have their own preferences. The biggest thing is to only use ENVTEX sky textures. The ASCA ones are pretty bad imho. With that said, the lighting with EA on is even better. The clouds still need more work, but I'm sure that will be addressed in a further update if you have enough VRAM to run it.

• Thanks 1
Marco Scharfschwerdt
On 12/8/2020 at 4:43 PM, Holger Teutsch said:

So guys, as it is not likely that a fix will come out very soon I created a patch that reverts the burning streets at night to p3d's default:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/112JsBsK4lRg3SA5iMmUDZFjNHisqwpxK?usp=sharing

2. run the python script

The scripts create a backup file. Run these after each shader update from Envdir. All other functionality of ENVSHADE should be untouched.

Sadly doesnt work for me. Nothing happens when I try to launch the .exe file or the python script.

Maxime Konareff
On 12/8/2020 at 4:43 PM, Holger Teutsch said:

2. run the python script

Hi there,

Maxime from TOGA here !
Thank you Holger for sharing this temporary fix for Envshade users who can't deal with it for now.

Please guys keep in mind this mod will also disable the adaptative street lights brightness at night !
Also we obviously don't support it officially. We are preparing an update to solve this issue without sacrifying the adaptative street night lighting brightness.

• Thanks 4

Hi everyone

Finally I installed these add-ons with the above mentioned settings. I have to say there`s a clearly visible diference and it`s worth its money, at least in my opinion. 

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards, Remo

On 12/13/2020 at 5:22 AM, Maxime Konareff said:

Hi there,

Maxime from TOGA here !
Thank you Holger for sharing this temporary fix for Envshade users who can't deal with it for now.

Please guys keep in mind this mod will also disable the adaptative street lights brightness at night !
Also we obviously don't support it officially. We are preparing an update to solve this issue without sacrifying the adaptative street night lighting brightness.

Great news, hope for this soon!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
klaus legrand

Hello

Is ENVSHADE better tha RESHADE ? 

What is your feeling?  I don't want to mess up my P3d v5 with something else. I have Resahde but i have the feeling it generates some stutters when landing.

Stu Antonio
19 minutes ago, klaus legrand said:

Hello

Is ENVSHADE better tha RESHADE ? 

What is your feeling?  I don't want to mess up my P3d v5 with something else. I have Resahde but i have the feeling it generates some stutters when landing.

They are actually quite different products. Envshade modifies parameters of the internal shaders of P3D, while ReShade is more like a post-Effect that (as you know) changes visual parameters in real time. They are not really comparable imo.  

klaus legrand
22 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I prefer to ask ...Reshade gives me a good visual however i feel a loss of performance in certain conditions and on landings or below clouds some stutters, i gues my GPU does not appreciate much.

So Envshade would set it at P3d root and then no more processing as done by p3d? ...guessing smooth performance

Holger Teutsch

Yes, it's changing a few lines of code in p3d's shaders. It did not notice any performance impact.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk