How to become a Beta-Tester?

Stu Antonio

Stu Antonio

Not that I want to become one myself. But I was always curious: How does one become a beta tester for FSLabs? Are they approached/chosen by the devs („Wake up, Neo...“)? Do they apply? Is there some sort of casting or recruiting process involved? Or is it just on a frendship basis? Are there different levels of testers? What qualifies them? What‘s their job on a day to day basis? Can we know? :) 

• Thanks 1
David Norfolk

I believe they look for testers who have experience with the real Airbus. ie,pilots,engineers etc etc. Could be wrong though 

Stu Antonio

Well, as there are obviously some pilots among the testers, there are quite some who are not. And some who might bit even be on the forum ets. And how do FSL „look“ for them? On airports? :D
I know it‘s a silly question but beta testers are so often mentioned by the devs... makes me curious. 

peter kelberg

Think beta  testers  are  selected for  the amount of  time  they been  on the  forum,  and  have added  to  the  forum  to other users  to  solve  their issues  etc.  Reason is that i was  asked  to be  a beta  tester  on  another  addon  due  to  the  time  i  was  on the  forum, and  solving  their  issues  on the  addon on which  the  devs  have   noticed  it  as well  which helps

Norman Blackburn

The vast majority of our testers have backgrounds in aviation with most of those being current on type.  There are only a few who do not and their selection as testers has varied over the years.

John Barnes

I was going to do a write up on how i personally became a tester and what it entails as i am sure many think it's all about having fun with a new product. The amount of commitment inclusive of install after install after uninstall and testing is relentless and LK cracks the whip. It's not all fun and games. Maybe i will do that write up someday.

I was selected due to my good looks and charm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
Stu Antonio
32 minutes ago, John Barnes said:

many think it's all about having fun with a new product

I certainly do not, that's one of the reasons I would never take on that responsibility and become a beta tester (again). Did that before for a 3D-software (different industry) and it was hard, annoying and repetitive work (the documentation alone kept me up all nicht more than once).

But it's interesting how the test team for FSL is selected and assembled, it certainly says something about the aspiration and dedication of the creators.

Marc Ehnle
1 hour ago, John Barnes said:

I was going to do a write up on how i personally became a tester and what it entails as i am sure many think it's all about having fun with a new product. The amount of commitment inclusive of install after install after uninstall and testing is relentless and LK cracks the whip. It's not all fun and games. Maybe i will do that write up someday.

I was selected due to my good looks and charm.

You must have an idea of how fun it can be to do anything to break the "testee" :lol:

Rafal Haczek
15 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

How does one become a beta tester for FSLabs?

I can't say about FSLabs, but I used to be a beta tester for scenery and aircraft and the phrase 'used to' should say something.
Many people believe it is real fun plus you can (though not always!) get the product for free and earlier than others.
But it is a hard work which takes a looooot of time and can make you start hating the addon before it gets ready (thinking: and I could just pay these 25 euros and enjoy it). :D

• Like 3
Jamie Whiting

I have some small idea of what the life of a βήτα tester for FSL is like. I have created scenery for various ESP versions, and I can tell you the hours and hours of "faffing" that you have to do start to drive even the most determined slowly insane. 

I think that as others have mentioned some people think it is just a way to get a product early and have a bit of a muck about. To be any good at it, a tester has to have an obsessive attention to detail and has to know the subject matter intimately or be prepared to learn; they also need to have the patience to endure the occasional monumental disaster, and also the time to give to the work, which often than not is unpaid.  The work can also be incredibly tedious, particularly if you hit a problem that seems to have an independent ζωή of its own that just goes on and on. All ways remember that for every pretty bit of functionality etc. that you see, in probability it is underpinned by countless hours of tedious grafting. Even Graphic design can be like this sometimes.

It can be tremendously rewarding to do however if you have the right mind set and the ability to see the long term goal, which is key to keep the motivation going. Thats why you can be sure that Λευτερης and the team love the Airbus, they have to otherwise we wouldn't be here.

• Like 1