Amd big navi!

phil highton

Iam in a bit of a dilemma!. I've been with Nvidia for 17 years, but Iam very tempted to switch, Iam running z390 hero, 9700k, 32gb ram bla bla bla, i also have a free sync main monitor, its that and the vram that is attracting me, its just all these years I've been told Intel and Nvidia just works better with p3d/fsx does that still hold true? I would really like your thoughts on this subject, thanks fellas B)

Yep AMD have arrived seriously know and  all of us Intel / Nvidia users for flightsim can no longer ignore this, to be honest it ain't a bad thing, Iam too thinking ahead about next build 2/3 years maybe it's gonna be AMD! 

Just to add, I hope this doesn't come across offending present AMD users it's not meant too, to be honest I think you guys are secretly very pleased  and worry for intel/Nvidia fanboy/ fanatics  like me, and  honestly I don't blame you lol ;) :lol:

Hendrik Herryjanto

I am contemplating to upgrade my GPU or CPU. Currently on 1070 and 9700K which performs well. I have been wanting to switch to Ryzen but kept waiting, now it seems a good time. But I heard the next Ryzen will use AM5 socket so if I invest now with AM4 socket, the next upgrade will be new board as well.

Big decision hendrick, personally Iam very happy with the 9700k for now  powerful and good temps, but it's great that it looks like we now have 2 high end systems going head to head, it can only benefit the end user like me and you B)

Hendrick what resolution do you use?  And v4 or v5, because those two things alone will make a big difference on your gpu choice, Iam using a 1080ti on 1080 by 3400 and for that resolution the 1080ti is still a great performer, for me just thinking about future proof! 

Hendrik Herryjanto
4 minutes ago, phil highton said:

Hendrick what resolution do you use? 

im on 4K with 1070:ph34r::ph34r:. I got a free monitor from a friend and didnt really think about the resolution just plug it in and fly... after that i kind of reliased that i am on 4k and the performance on v5 is good. Only the VRAM problem with FT Vegas. My goodness, only FT Vegas gives me VRAM OOM. I used to be on 1080p

Iam no expert but I think for 4k you need a stronger Gpu your cpu is the same as mine, and I have it oc to 5.0 on all cores super quick, for 4k I would just hang on a few weeks to see how this gpu war pans out, its going to be good for you no matter :D

Markus Burkhard

I too heard those rumours long ago, saying that FSX and/or P3D were not optimised for AMD CPUs or AMD GPUs. However, it was just that, rumours. I've never seen any evidence of this, as in benchmarks or other empiric data suggesting that AMD was less stable/smooth for those simulators.

What was true however, is that FSX/P3D/MSFS still favour high clock speed. The reason being, they all have their roots in the FSX architecture, which is as you know more than a decade old and therefore not capable of fully utilising large numbers of threads/cores compared to software being written today. And until the now released 5000 series AMD CPUs, Intel always had quite an advantage in clock speed, so having made Intel the brand of choice just for that, clock speed. Now AMD has caught up nicely and things look different:

Early CPU benchmarks suggest that AMD is clearly ahead in single-thread performance. Should those early numbers turn out to be true, then the 5000 series AMD CPUs would indeed be the CPU of choice for P3D/MSFS as of right now. One must note that the new AMD CPUs do that with considerably lower power requirements.
And added to that you would get PCIe 4.0 architecture as a bonus with AMD silicon, something that is not available from Intel right now. The newest generation PCIe standard offers significantly increased bandwidth for M.2 SSD memory, something that is very useful for that ever increasing scenery file size average. 

Now as for the GPU, things are rather simple: IF the new AMD RX 6800 XT GPU will indeed confirm AMDs own benchmarks, as in being as fast or slightly faster in most titles compared to the RTX 3080, but offering 6GB more VRAM at a 50$ lower price, then I'd say this is the clear winner for your next GPU used in P3Dv5, where the amount of VRAM is rather important.

And should you want to use MSFS next to P3Dv5, guess which GPU will end up in the upcoming xBox: The new one from AMD. And since xBox is the primary platform for MSFS, you can bet that there will be no issues at all when buying an AMD GPU.

Personally I'm leaning towards the AMD 5900X CPU for my upcoming new build, due to the PCIe 4.0 architecture, and would take the better single-thread performance as a nice bonus, if indeed true. As for the GPU, I haven't decided yet, simply because I don't know yet whether to get a 3080 class GPU or a 3090 class GPU. If it's the former, then I'd probably get the new RX 6800 XT for it's larger VRAM size for P3Dv5. And should it be the latter performance level, then I'd choose the one that is better suited for 8K VR gaming. If both would be equal, then I'd favour AMD for its MUCH lower price.
But that's just me and things can always change until bank transfers are being made :unsure:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Markus thank you very much for that detailed explanation, I think we can agree that from now on going forward we now get a true and equal choice I what system we choose to run our sim, can only be good for us guys, good days ahead (once covid as dissapeared :()! 

Hendrik Herryjanto
2 hours ago, phil highton said:

Iam no expert but I think for 4k you need a stronger Gpu your cpu is the same as mine, and I have it oc to 5.0 on all cores super quick, for 4k I would just hang on a few weeks to see how this gpu war pans out, its going to be good for you no matter :D

That is what i heard too about 4K and 1070. But so far so good so I cannot complain.. LOL.... I didnt have stuters at all or lag.

3 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

I too heard those rumours long ago, saying that FSX and/or P3D were not optimised for AMD CPUs or AMD GPUs. However, it was just that, rumours. I've never seen any evidence of this, as in benchmarks or other empiric data suggesting that AMD was less stable/smooth for those simulators.

What was true however, is that FSX/P3D/MSFS still favour high clock speed. The reason being, they all have their roots in the FSX architecture, which is as you know more than a decade old and therefore not capable of fully utilising large numbers of threads/cores compared to software being written today. And until the now released 5000 series AMD CPUs, Intel always had quite an advantage in clock speed, so having made Intel the brand of choice just for that, clock speed. Now AMD has caught up nicely and things look different:

Early CPU benchmarks suggest that AMD is clearly ahead in single-thread performance. Should those early numbers turn out to be true, then the 5000 series AMD CPUs would indeed be the CPU of choice for P3D/MSFS as of right now. One must note that the new AMD CPUs do that with considerably lower power requirements.
And added to that you would get PCIe 4.0 architecture as a bonus with AMD silicon, something that is not available from Intel right now. The newest generation PCIe standard offers significantly increased bandwidth for M.2 SSD memory, something that is very useful for that ever increasing scenery file size average. 

Now as for the GPU, things are rather simple: IF the new AMD RX 6800 XT GPU will indeed confirm AMDs own benchmarks, as in being as fast or slightly faster in most titles compared to the RTX 3080, but offering 6GB more VRAM at a 50$ lower price, then I'd say this is the clear winner for your next GPU used in P3Dv5, where the amount of VRAM is rather important.

And should you want to use MSFS next to P3Dv5, guess which GPU will end up in the upcoming xBox: The new one from AMD. And since xBox is the primary platform for MSFS, you can bet that there will be no issues at all when buying an AMD GPU.

Personally I'm leaning towards the AMD 5900X CPU for my upcoming new build, due to the PCIe 4.0 architecture, and would take the better single-thread performance as a nice bonus, if indeed true. As for the GPU, I haven't decided yet, simply because I don't know yet whether to get a 3080 class GPU or a 3090 class GPU. If it's the former, then I'd probably get the new RX 6800 XT for it's larger VRAM size for P3Dv5. And should it be the latter performance level, then I'd choose the one that is better suited for 8K VR gaming. If both would be equal, then I'd favour AMD for its MUCH lower price.
But that's just me and things can always change until bank transfers are being made :unsure:

That was very helpful, thanks! 

The one thing I'm waiting on in terms of GPU's is benchmark testing in flight simulators.  I have a 1080ti.  Will either be replacing with the Nvidia 3090 or AMD 6800XT.  I've heard horror stories about amd drivers, but unsure if that is still the case or not.  

• Thanks 1

We will know once the video cards are out. As for the CPUs, AMD is clearly on top nowadays with more power-efficient processors, many high performing cores and PCIe4.0 motherboards for insane SSD speeds plus that extra oomph from your video card (hardly noticeable, but still there).

M_i_k_e_V_o_g

Early days to make any call since nobody is yet to get a hold of a 3080 or the AMD card as some had mentioned.

A 3090 (of which there are a few where I live) IMO is a vast overpay on what you're actually getting considering the alternatives (be it AMD or its smaller illusive brother ).

There is also something about an added value in combining the AMD GPU and CPU. How much of it translates to real performance and how much is just PR hype remains to be seen.

For a while now I'm thinking of replacing my aging 6700k/1060 combo (which actually performs surprisingly well!!). At first I had MSFS in mind but the way things stand it will probably be gathering dust for the neXT couple of years. I was also quite certain that my new build was going to be an intel/nvidia. I was thinking of 10850k/3080 combination. 

Right now, Im seriously considering going for the AMD card (6800) with either a 10850/10990 or a 5000 AMD cpu

• Like 1
Camille MOUCHEL

NVIDA All the way, i just wish AMD would keep on par on nvidia so that nvidia can lower their price that's all, i'll never in my lide go towards AMD for both CPU and GPU :P

Hendrik Herryjanto

Those review just come out for Ryzen 5000 and my goodness even Ryzen 5 5600x that cost US$300 crushses i910900K on games! 

Gonna take the plunge to Ryzen 5000, the question is where do they have on stock for them?

I've been NVidia and Intel since fsx but now iam not so sure !, however rumour has it 3080ti ( 20 GB) around 1000 US , I should have stuck to golf would have been cheaper B)

David Greiner
3 hours ago, phil highton said:

I've been NVidia and Intel since fsx but now iam not so sure !, however rumour has it 3080ti ( 20 GB) around 1000 US , I should have stuck to golf would have been cheaper B)

well the 3080 with 20 gb vram for Dezember was cancelled by nivida. Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

Markus Burkhard
4 hours ago, David Greiner said:

on other benchmarks (with faster ram) the rzyen is on pos1.

Keep in mind though that the 4 top-most bars are for overclocked CPUs. Looking at the non-overclocked results, you can see that 10900K and 5900X are basically the same, with the 5950X having a tiny lead. Now with that I'm not saying that one must jump to AMD because of this. However offering a few additional cores, a lot less power draw and PCIe 4.0 compared to the 10900K does make it look quite nice for AMD.

4 hours ago, David Greiner said:

well the 3080 with 20 gb vram for Dezember was cancelled by nivida. Source: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

You can't cancel what was never announced ;) In any case, rest assured that nVidia will offer something to close that gap between the 3080 and the 3090, now that AMD offers better and/or cheaper alternatives for both.

• Like 1
David Greiner
7 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Keep in mind though that the 4 top-most bars are for overclocked CPUs. Looking at the non-overclocked results, you can see that 10900K and 5900X are basically the same, with the 5950X having a tiny lead. Now with that I'm not saying that one must jump to AMD because of this. However offering a few additional cores, a lot less power draw and PCIe 4.0 compared to the 10900K does make it look quite nice for AMD.

You can't cancel what was never announced ;) In any case, rest assured that nVidia will offer something to close that gap between the 3080 and the 3090, now that AMD offers better and/or cheaper alternatives for both.

and the amd cpu´s are not so expensive like intels 14nm+++++++++++++++++ ones. 

Nividia has to do something. yeah "fanboys" will ever stick to nivida or amd. But for real is there a reason to buy the 3080 and not the 6800xt?

M_i_k_e_V_o_g

There's also the promised added value in the synergy of both AMD products (which they dubbed SAM- so called "smart access memory").

I guess we'll have to wait till the 17th to find out if its of any substance or just a whole lot of PR over an additional single frame... 

• Like 1
Hendrik Herryjanto

Managed to get myself a 5800X and supposed to be sent out on 10 nov. WIll update you guys about it. First time going over to AMD, I have been with intel all a long from Pentium 133 then moved to Celeron, the P4, i7 2600k, i5 6600K then to i7 9700k and now to R7 5800X

I’m considering the ASUS GeForce RTX 3070 DUAL OC 8GB combined with a AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. Mainly because of cost. I think it would be a major step up from my current setup but I’m wondering if I should the graphics card is suitable for P3dV5. 

The alternative build I’m considering is Intel Core i9-10900K and ASUS RTX 3080 10GB ROG STRIX OC Edition  but that is a lot more money. I’d be interested in any thoughts or advice on which way to go. This pc would be completely dedicated to flight sim and the FS Labs.

The only thing that would be of concern Is the 8gb vram on the 3070 especially with dx12, if it was me I would hang on just a little maybe a 3070ti is coming with more vram?