FPS loss in FSLabs for P3Dv5.1

Moritz Butz

Chris Frasure
9 minutes ago, Nuno M Pinto said:

This is highly inaccurate. There's no waste of memory at all (unrelated) and you can clearly notice between 30, 60 and even 120fps even on a slow moving application such as a flight simulator. It's SO MUCH smoother.

I am sure it is silky smooth.  But, yes, the more frames, the more it pulls from the VRAM.  And, the human eye has a limit on the number of frames a second it can detect...trust me, I know. :)

You are entitled to your opinions but not your own set of facts.  Anyway.  Have a great day everyone!

Chris

Ivan Majetic
30 minutes ago, Andrew Curry said:

Download the previous version from the p3d website, uninstall the existing client (CLIENT ONLY) and install the HF2 client from legacy. Shout if you have any trouble.

You guys are right. So now after reinstalling 5.0, the same scenario, gate A34 at FRA, frames are around 55 fps in the BUS. Geez! Thanks for the help!

• Like 1
Andrew Curry
7 minutes ago, Ivan Majetic said:

You guys are right. So now after reinstalling 5.0, the same scenario, gate A34 at FRA, frames are around 55 fps in the BUS. Geez! Thanks for the help!

Glad it has given you an improvement Ivan :)

As a "belt and braces" measure it might be worth clearing the shader cache:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders

I tend to do this after a graphics driver update, scenery change etc just in case.

Ivan Majetic
24 minutes ago, Andrew Curry said:

Glad it has given you an improvement Ivan :)

As a "belt and braces" measure it might be worth clearing the shader cache:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\Shaders

I tend to do this after a graphics driver update, scenery change etc just in case.

I did that thanks, and a new nvidia driver is out too, so if i update it i will delete shaders again, thank you ;)

Stu Antonio
1 hour ago, Nuno M Pinto said:

This is highly inaccurate. There's no waste of memory at all (unrelated) and you can clearly notice between 30, 60 and even 120fps even on a slow moving application such as a flight simulator. It's SO MUCH smoother.

I totally agree. Never quite understood the „lock at 30fps“ philosophy. But that‘s just me. :)  

Lefteris Kalamaras

Just so that everyone is aware - we identified a possible culprit for the FPS loss in 5.1 with the A320-X and are working to fix it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
Nuno M Pinto
13 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Just so that everyone is aware - we identified a possible culprit for the FPS loss in 5.1 with the A320-X and are working to fix it.

I don't know if you're able to, but maybe try to synchronize with LM as they *appear* to be working on a hotfix for the weather injection issue reported by HiFi and avoid having to update the Airbus family twice?

Lefteris Kalamaras
Just now, Nuno M Pinto said:

I don't know if you're able to, but maybe try to synchronize with LM as they *appear* to be working on a hotfix for the weather injection issue reported by HiFi and avoid having to update the Airbus family twice?

Yes, I am quite aware that it's a bit of a bother to do uninstalls and reinstalls frequently (that's why we're working towards an app manager, as I've said before).

Unfortunately, LM do not share their update schedule so we can't know for sure when that hotfix is coming (as it will need testing too). For that, we think that it's best if we release an update asap. If anything changes, I'll let people know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Marcus Pohlmann
19 hours ago, Moritz Butz said:

Anyone else having a huge fps difference compared to the previous version. Used to get 60FPS and more in the cockpit and now I only have 35?

Yes. I am having round about 20% loss compared to P3D V5.0HF2. I use VR and see this not only in FPS but also in Frametimes. Average frametimes with WMR was 25.0ms of 11.1 ms´and I am now at Average 32.0ms of 11.1ms (90Hz).

FPS dropped 20% also.

The A320 (did not test A321 yet) in P3D V5.0HF2 was much much better AND smoother. Within VR it is unusable (Stutters too much) now.

With other addon planes I did get an overall performance/smoothness increase.

Settings even dropped a little. Did now use 2xSSAA before I uses 4xSSAA.

No VRAM issue. See my specs

Uinstalled P3D V5.0 completely and installed the new V5.1 also completely of course ;-)

Regards Marcus

Prepar3D_v5_Academic_5.1.8.26742

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 2004
Installed on 20201025
OS Build 19042.572
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Latest Nvidia Drivers

i9 10900K @ 5.0 Ghz | HT OFF | 1.32V
Mainboard ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula Z490
32 GB RAM 3600 Mhz Corsair Vengeance | 4x8GB
RTX Titan 24GB
32" Samsung UHD Monitor using 4k
Custom Water Cooling | 2x 360MM | 1x 240MM Radiator
HP Reverb v2 VR HMD | Steam VR

Main Addons

ASP3D | 7514 Open Beta - TEMP Uninstalled due Incopat. with P3D latest Version 5.1
FSRGW
ChasePlane | Via ORBX
FSReborn Prof.
GSX 2
FSUIPC6
AIGAIM | Latest Version
SODE | Latest Version
MultiCrewExperience | Latest Version
Aerosoft Airbus A330 | Latest Version
Aerosoft Airbus A320/321 | Latest Version
PMDG 747/748 | Latest Version
QW787 | Latest Version
FSLABS A320X | Latest Version
FSLABS A321X | Latest Version
Navigraph Charts
ORBX Base
ORBX LC
ORBX TE NL
ORBX TE NCA
ORBX Regions
ORBX HD Buildings
ORBX HD Trees V1 & V2
REALTURB | All Continents
+200 Addon Aiports | via .xml method added

Alexander Petrenko

Guys, sorry for disturbing you from another camp but do I understand correctly that there is no sense to update to the latest version if I still run with P3Dv4.5?

• Like 1
Stu Antonio
2 minutes ago, Alexander Petrenko said:

Guys, sorry for disturbing you from another camp but do I understand correctly that there is no sense to update to the latest version if I still run with P3Dv4.5?

Your question depends on so many things (your system/focus/desire/expectations/software erc) that it is very hard to just give you an yes or no answer. But you should be able to gather quite some infos and decide for yourself. 

Alexander Petrenko
20 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

Your question depends on so many things (your system/focus/desire/expectations/software erc) that it is very hard to just give you an yes or no answer. But you should be able to gather quite some infos and decide for yourself. 

No, I mean should I updated my FSLabs to the latest uploaded version if I'm still flying P3Dv4.5?

Stu Antonio
12 minutes ago, Alexander Petrenko said:

No, I mean should I updated my FSLabs to the latest uploaded version if I'm still flying P3Dv4.5?

Oh! I see, sorry. Well, if it runs on 4.5, I guess my approach would be to always have the latest version running. But functionality-wise there shouldn‘t be any difference, so it probably doesn‘t make that much of a sense. Unless it‘s recommended to idk get proper support or something.  

• Like 1
Bob Zolto

Performance is better in v5.0, along with several other improvements. Going to 5.1 is still not advised until a couple of things are hot fized.

brendon powys

Yip ill give it a couple of weeks until the dust settles,perfectly fine with p3dv5 for now;)

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras

Gents-

I've just made v116 available (as usual, in the redownload area) - we found and fixed a performance issue with v5.1, so this one should restore your previous FPS noted in v5.0. Please let us know how you fare with it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Andrew Curry
31 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Gents-

I've just made v116 available (as usual, in the redownload area) - we found and fixed a performance issue with v5.1, so this one should restore your previous FPS noted in v5.0. Please let us know how you fare with it.

Hi Lefteris,

Already downloaded but in the middle of a flight at the moment - will get the 5.1 client reinstalled this evening and test v116

• Like 1
K_e_n_a_n__A_g_h_a_y_e_v

Thanks for the update. Just installed and performance issue seems to be fixed. But the cabin camera system is inop again.

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras
4 minutes ago, K_e_n_a_n__A_g_h_a_y_e_v said:

Thanks for the update. Just installed and performance issue seems to be fixed. But the cabin camera system is inop again.

Yep - the camera system in DX12 causes a very significant performance loss which we'll be trying to fix in coming versions. We are working on possible solutions, we'll see what we can do.

• Like 9
Mark Daniel
1 hour ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Yep - the camera system in DX12 causes a very significant performance loss which we'll be trying to fix in coming versions. We are working on possible solutions, we'll see what we can do.

Turning off Mipmap VC Panels does the trick for this for me.

• Like 1
phil highton

This thread shows why in my opinion FSL is the best addon by far out there for P3d whatever version. And that goes too with this forum. Guys who care very passionately about our bus and want it to be the best it can be, and equally a  dev team who care about there customers enjoyment and satisfaction with this unequalled sim aircraft. Thanks to all of you who made an input to this thread. I learn something new every time I come to this forum and that's why I love it, don't ever stop I feel you are my online friends and I rely on you all, brilliant absolutely! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Søren Rasmussen
On 10/30/2020 at 2:05 PM, Stu Antonio said:

Never quite understood the „lock at 30fps“ philosophy. But that‘s just me. :)  

Stu, according to LM quote "The reduced frame rate will allow the CPU/GPU to build a more complete image before sending it to the screen" unquote.

I had mine set to unlimited and tried the 30fps limitation, and as far as I can see the micro stutters that I now and then experienced are gone totally.

However as far as I know, the human eye can't cope with more than 25 to 30 fps anyhow.

Edited by Søren Rasmussen
missing unquote
Stu Antonio
8 minutes ago, Søren Rasmussen said:

However as far as I know, the human eye can't cope with more than 25 to 30 fps anyhow

All fair and good, but I DO notice a significant difference between 30 and ie 50 fps. I think 25fps is just the point where the human eye experiences frames as fluent motion. I am pretty sure it can cope with more. It might just not be necessary. 
I don‘t experience microstutters at unlimited fps and for me personally, 45-60 fps look way smoother, quicker, calmer, more fluent than 30fps. I get why this frees the CPU to do more other stuff.... it‘s just not for me. I even hava a „flimmering“ experience with constant 30fps. :) 

Rudy Fidao
On 10/30/2020 at 9:13 AM, Nuno M Pinto said:

Full install. I have _ALL_ my addons on the add-ons.cfg file, i pre-prepared for full reinstallations when i first installed v5.0 a few months ago. I only did a full reinstall because of all the scenery fixes that came with 5.1, i usually only update the client.

Can I ask how you do this - all add-ons as add-ons, what about things that want to install the old-fashioned way like FlyTampa sceneries?

I would like to do as you have.

Matthias Sauerhering
9 hours ago, Stu Antonio said:

All fair and good, but I DO notice a significant difference between 30 and ie 50 fps. I think 25fps is just the point where the human eye experiences frames as fluent motion. I am pretty sure it can cope with more. It might just not be necessary. 
I don‘t experience microstutters at unlimited fps and for me personally, 45-60 fps look way smoother, quicker, calmer, more fluent than 30fps. I get why this frees the CPU to do more other stuff.... it‘s just not for me. I even hava a „flimmering“ experience with constant 30fps. :) 

Thats exactly my experience. I have also tried to lock my FPS to 25 or 30, like LM suggested. But I had a lot of micro stutters - especially while looking around in VC - so I switched back to unlocked FPS. And I am happy with it.

• Like 1
Robin Locher
2 minutes ago, Matthias Sauerhering said:

Thats exactly my experience. I have also tried to lock my FPS to 25 or 30, like LM suggested. But I had a lot of micro stutters - especially while looking around in VC - so I switched back to unlocked FPS. And I am happy with it.

You can try to look with Nvida Inspector or Nvidia Options. This way you will not the stutters.

• Like 1
Nuno M Pinto
8 hours ago, Rudy Fidao said:

Can I ask how you do this - all add-ons as add-ons, what about things that want to install the old-fashioned way like FlyTampa sceneries?

I would like to do as you have.

Just add an addon.xml file in the folder, configuring all items as required and adding them to the add-ons.cfg. It requires some editing, but in the long run will save you a LOT of work.

Example for Sydney:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
  <AddOn.Name>FlyTampa-Sydney v1.2 P3D5</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>YSSY Sydney Airport for Prepar3D v5</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Effects</Category>
    <Path>Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>Scenery</Category>
    <Path>Sydney_LC</Path>
    <Name>FlyTampa-Sydney_LC</Name>
    <Layer>604</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Sydney</Path>
    <Name>FlyTampa-Sydney</Name>
    <Layer>605</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Then, in add-ons.cfg, just point it to the path where the XML is:

[Package.205]
PATH=D:\Prepar3D\Sceneries\FlyTampa\FlyTampa - YSSY Sydney
TITLE=YSSY - Sydney
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

You can even do it for other types of add-ons such as aircraft and FSUIPC for example:

FSUIPC:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4.0" id="add-on">
	<AddOn.Name>FSUIPC6</AddOn.Name>
	<AddOn.Description>Flight Simulator Universal Inter-Process Communication version 6</AddOn.Description>
	<AddOn.Component>
		<Category>DLL</Category>
		<Path>FSUIPC6.dll</Path>
	</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

RealAir Beech Duke Turbine:

<AddOn.Name>Beech Duke Turbine V2</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>Beech Duke Turbine for Prepar3D</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    <Name>Beech Duke Turbine V2</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Easy :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Rudy Fidao
13 hours ago, Nuno M Pinto said:

Just add an addon.xml file in the folder, configuring all items as required and adding them to the add-ons.cfg. It requires some editing, but in the long run will save you a LOT of work.

Example for Sydney:

<AddOn.Name>FlyTampa-Sydney v1.2 P3D5</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>YSSY Sydney Airport for Prepar3D v5</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Sydney_LC</Path>
    <Name>FlyTampa-Sydney_LC</Name>
    <Layer>604</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Sydney</Path>
    <Name>FlyTampa-Sydney</Name>
    <Layer>605</Layer>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Then, in add-ons.cfg, just point it to the path where the XML is:

[Package.205]
PATH=D:\Prepar3D\Sceneries\FlyTampa\FlyTampa - YSSY Sydney
TITLE=YSSY - Sydney
ACTIVE=true
REQUIRED=false

You can even do it for other types of add-ons such as aircraft and FSUIPC for example:

FSUIPC:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4.0" id="add-on">
	<AddOn.Name>FSUIPC6</AddOn.Name>
	<AddOn.Description>Flight Simulator Universal Inter-Process Communication version 6</AddOn.Description>
	<AddOn.Component>
		<Category>DLL</Category>
		<Path>FSUIPC6.dll</Path>
	</AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

RealAir Beech Duke Turbine:

<AddOn.Name>Beech Duke Turbine V2</AddOn.Name>
  <AddOn.Description>Beech Duke Turbine for Prepar3D</AddOn.Description>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Path>Effects</Path>
  </AddOn.Component>
  <AddOn.Component>
    <Category>SimObjects</Category>
    <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
    <Name>Beech Duke Turbine V2</Name>
  </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Easy :P

Thanks for the explanation Nuno!  I am definitely doing everything this way for P5D when I get it going properly!  :)

• Like 1
Ross McDonagh
On 10/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, Nuno M Pinto said:

Full install. I have _ALL_ my addons on the add-ons.cfg file, i pre-prepared for full reinstallations when i first installed v5.0 a few months ago. I only did a full reinstall because of all the scenery fixes that came with 5.1, i usually only update the client.

Any chance you could post an “FSLabs user” type of guide to a full reinstall?