New ram questions

Timm Rehberg

Hi there,

I am not sure if this upgrade is usefull and/or if I will feel probably a difference here but someone told me that my RAM is slow.

Currently I have these: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB (2x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Kit // Timings: CL15 15-15-36
And I am looking for these: G.Skill DIMM 32 GB (2x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Kit // Timings: CL16 16-16-36

Dont know if this makes any sense or if even 16GB is way enough :D 
This is replacing my 3090 investment for 2020 so far :D 

Thx a lot

J0hannes Butz

With the 3090 you should be guranteed a performance upgrade in the sim. I don't know how P3D reacts to faster RAM.

Maybe this german video will give you a better insight into the performance potential of fast RAM and the timings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MpsK1DbR_0&feature=emb_logo

If you decide to go for the upgrade I'd be very interested in your results!

• Thanks 1
Markus Burkhard

Indeed your RAM is slow when looking at the CPU you are using it with. 

However, this is not a case of "replace that RAM with fast one and you'll get 25% more FPS". Faster RAM does not do any magic, but it will simply fit your fast CPU a lot better. It is more a case of "this RAM should not have been paired with the CPU to begin with". But now that it's there, I'd say replace it only if spending that money is not an issue for you. You will gain an FPS here and there, more smoothness in other areas, faster loading with certain workloads... But will you instantly feel a difference? Probably not. Will it complement your fast CPU and round things out in your system, absolutely yes. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Markus. I read a lot in the last days and just bought a GSkill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz 2x 8GB with CL16-16-16-36
Lets see but an upgrade on the RAM was worth and time! :) 

Good question. I have checked and monitored my daily usage of RAM throughout 2 1/2 days and I saw that the usage rearly went above 16GB.
In normal Windows tasks and usage, even with playing Warzone I never went above. So I decided to buy better/stronger RAM but just 16GB rather than a bit cheaper RAM but 32GB. I will check if I will ever really reach the limit now with my new RAM but at the moment everything looks good.
If you have enough money, sure - 32GB is always better than 16GB. If you use Photoshop, any rendering software - the more the better but in normal "operations" I doubt 32GB is a must have in these days.

Markus Burkhard
2 hours ago, Timm Rehberg said:

If you have enough money, sure - 32GB is always better than 16GB. If you use Photoshop, any rendering software - the more the better but in normal "operations" I doubt 32GB is a must have in these days.

This really depends on the software you are using. It's not just rendering that needs more than 16GB of RAM. While usually you can get away with 16GB when using P3D, there are moments when you hit the limit depending on the software you need running next to P3D and how detailed the content is you're using with in P3D.

But then other sims are even more RAM hungry. DCS or MSFS will definitely want 32GB for optimal performance.

9 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

But then other sims are even more RAM hungry. DCS or MSFS will definitely want 32GB for optimal performance.

As soon as the eye-candy is ready, my 32Gb upgrade will be ready as well :D
But when I see all the optimizations done by FSL in the last updates.. Performance is good! 

For now, I am happy with my 16GB. I will monitor it in the next days and give a feedback :) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, after some days in use I can confirm that its a difference.
Windows boot is even faster, copy-processes seems faster and the overall experience in Windows seems better. 
Flight Sim is not really faster or slower - no identification that its faster.

• Like 1