Prepar3D v5.1 is now available today

Lothar Gentzsch

Markus Burkhard
4 minutes ago, Bartu Özkara said:

Thanks for the good news Markus, I downloaded it today but was waiting to see the first impressions. Is there any improvement on the GPU VRam usage to avoid the crashes?

As Timm has said above, I don't see how this is going to change. It is what it is with DirectX12. Crashes are either caused by too high settings for the amount of VRAM available, OR by using badly optimised airport scenery, of which sadly there's plenty out there, or a combination of both.

I don't see how LM can change this. The benefit of this of course is vastly improved FPS thanks to DX12.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stu Antonio

• Timm Rehberg

• Bartu Özkara

• David Norfolk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are actually testing it already. Hope to get it in your hands soon (tm).

Performance, Performance, Performance. I am getting 30% faster FPS and a lot smoother / more fluid experience in v5 compared to any v4.

Just so everyone is aware:  

Posted Images

Bartu Özkara
14 minutes ago, Timm Rehberg said:

From my understanding, GPU/VRAM issues are user based. Some are happy with mid-settings and have a 1080 with 8GB Vram, some have one with 6GB vram and have high settings.
It all depends on many aspects. It is already changing by using different addon airports etc.
I read there is no improvement on VRAM in general but I don´t have it installed yet.

After we get our gang and making the flights we’ll see the performance side of the 5.1B) Actually Timm I’m almost always very happy with my graphics and VRAM usage except in some airports like ORBX Newcastle and Justsim Brussels with GSX I had some CTD’s. It’s very important to find the best setup with your system and also P3D otherwise even with the best GPU it can give you not loaded autogen during descend:unsure: As I understand currently in P3D “Max Settings” doesn’t give you the best ambiance and environment.

I hope that the LM suprises us with new features and performance improvements in the future. There is always more in everything but the goal has to be happy what we have and enjoying it when we’re in the cockpit:rolleyes:

Camille MOUCHEL
34 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

I would suggest you upgrade to 5.1 as it is perfectly fine aside from the Enhanced Atmospherics issues. So it's better to upgrade and turn off EA if you don't like it, than to stay on 5.0 .

why I can finally fly the fslabs with steady 35 FPS, i don't want to risk anything, besides, fslabs is not even comptaible yet, and don't know about all my 50+ airport addons as well

David Norfolk
3 minutes ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

why I can finally fly the fslabs with steady 35 FPS, i don't want to risk anything, besides, fslabs is not even comptaible yet, and don't know about all my 50+ airport addons as well

All your airports should be fine

Camille MOUCHEL
15 minutes ago, Hugo Amdal said:

V5 runs absolute fine for, as long as you dont do the silly stuff that makes v5 crash B)

like what ?? :

here is my settings:

i get 35 fps stable with fslabs + obrx global +orbx europe LC+Fly tampa... +rex sky force

Hugo Amdal

I think his point is that in the end they havent reverssed anything. Maybe its not just as they described in the changelog but its not worse. Takes about 3 min to update. When Activesky and FSlabs is out for 5.1 there isnt a reason to not upgrade. Apparently 5.1 has excluded many of the "kernelbase crashes and so on"

Camille MOUCHEL
Just now, David Norfolk said:

All your airports should be fine

whay about Rex sky force

David Norfolk
Just now, Camille MOUCHEL said:

whay about Rex sky force

Nope 

phil highton

Well said as long as sky force and FSL work I will move to 5.1, disappointing about true sky :(

Holger Teutsch

I'm frugal. If 5.1 has less black textures and less "device hungs" (of which I have very few, fortunately) I'm happy.

I have the feeling that many of the complainers on Avsim will complain until simulation is indistinguishable from reality i.e. never.

• Like 2
Eric Fisher
2 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

I would suggest you upgrade to 5.1 as it is perfectly fine aside from the Enhanced Atmospherics issues. So it's better to upgrade and turn off EA if you don't like it, than to stay on 5.0 .

Markus, for those of us on a very stable version 4.5hf3, are there any advantages to going to 5.1 if EA is going to stay off? I know dx11 vs dx12 but I am struggling to find a compelling reason to move to 5.1. I was hoping EA would be worked out but clearly does not look like it until 5.2 at least. 

Lefteris Kalamaras
26 minutes ago, Eric Fisher said:

Markus, for those of us on a very stable version 4.5hf3, are there any advantages to going to 5.1 if EA is going to stay off? I know dx11 vs dx12 but I am struggling to find a compelling reason to move to 5.1. I was hoping EA would be worked out but clearly does not look like it until 5.2 at least. 

Performance, Performance, Performance. I am getting 30% faster FPS and a lot smoother / more fluid experience in v5 compared to any v4.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
David Norfolk
7 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Out of curiosity, what's your specs Lefteris? 

duartevieira
20 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

The issue is half these users that are complaining about performance either have ridiculous settings . Wrong non compatible scenery’s and tools or just trying to use the same settings they did with dx11 that’s all but it’s always easier to blame the product and not the user 

Lefteris Kalamaras
18 minutes ago, David Norfolk said:

Out of curiosity, what's your specs Lefteris? 

I am running an i7 8700k with 64GB RAM, two 1TB M.2 SSDs and a 1080Ti, with three 4K 27" monitors. Not under-powered, but not top of the line anymore...

Just now, Stu Antonio said:

Boy that was fast. 

Let's also hope it was good too :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
David Norfolk
Just now, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

I am running an i7 8700k with 64GB RAM, two 1TB M.2 SSDs and a 1080Ti, with three 4K 27" monitors. Not under-powered, but not top of the line anymore...

Still a beast of a setup though. 

Nuno M Pinto
3 hours ago, phil highton said:

Anybody using black marble with 5.1? 

I'm not 100% sure it's compatible. I used it in 4.5.

• Thanks 1
Ivan Majetic

This was just posted over at Avsim "Damian from HiFi said: "The P3D 5.1 release version has an issue preventing proper EA mode weather control via SimConnect with ASP3D (or any other weather add-on). We have forwarded our findings to P3D developers and we hope that it will be resolved soon with a new P3D update.

We should have our ASP3D compatible update posted very quickly after the fix is available.""

Marc Fuolega
5 minutes ago, Ivan Majetic said:

The P3D 5.1 release version has an issue preventing proper EA mode weather control via SimConnect with ASP3D (or any other weather add-on). We have forwarded our findings to P3D developers and we hope that it will be resolved soon with a new P3D update.

You can't make this **** up...

• Like 1
Ivan Majetic

Is it absurd or ridiculous? You tell me.

5 minutes ago, Marc Fuolega said:

You can't make this **** up...

Stu Antonio

Seems it‘s just unwise to install anything before it has at least an „HF“ attached to the version number nowadays..... 

• Like 1
Darcy Coutts
7 minutes ago, Bartu Özkara said:

Does anyone tried GSX is it working with 5.1?

It worked for me.  But I just found out Hi Fi needs a patch.  I guess back to v5.0 HF2 

Darcy

Bartu Özkara

Thank you for the answers, yeah about the ActiveSky problem I hope HF will be released soon.

• Like 1
kike campos

Hi Folks,

I have a question I´m currently installing P3D again ( Was using MSFS but I missed the bus a lot) I haven´t perform the 5.1 update because of all the compatibility issues, If I install this latest version from FSLABS, Can  I still use 5.0HF2? I´m asking this because I don´t have any version of Fslabs installed yet and forgot to download the one before this one,

TIA.

Chris Frasure
1 hour ago, Bartu Özkara said:

Thank you for the answers, yeah about the ActiveSky problem I hope HF will be released soon.

#1 reason I won’t update yet (I downloaded both 5.1 and FSLabs busses). I won’t install until Activesky.

Eric Fisher
4 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Let's also hope it was good too :).

Okay, I'm on i9 9900k with 64GB RAM and a 1080Ti (can't source a 3090 yet) so I should be good. Just don't like the reports 9f 5ye alpha channel scenery bleed trough issue or is that with EA only?

Markus Burkhard
7 hours ago, Eric Fisher said:

One more reason, next to significantly improved FPS, is that v5 handles dynamic lighting quite a bit better, enhancing the outside of our aircraft quite nicely compared to v4.

Darren Howie

What Markus say's.

In addition the haze rendering in V5 non EA is far better than V4and if you choose to not use EA now its quite a bit better.

The lighting to me and the haze, low visibility rendering in the new EA is simply excellent now andbeing one who has rarely used EA in V5 will be using it a lot more.

It still has cloud artifact issues in some views but rebuilding the entire lighting/haze/cloud environment ina sim is a huge project so one step at a time.

I love the new lighting and haze rendering etc its very realistic with differing visibility in different directions making it feel very very real.

Far more so then the msfs set vis based off cloud particles whatever that is.

One more step in the right direction..

Screenshot%20(716)-X2.jpgScreenshot%20(739)-X2.jpgScreenshot%20(717)-X2.jpg

• Like 8
Timm Rehberg

Saw them in facebook on my phone this morning but now in full-size I see the full glory! Wow! This really shows the amazing side of all the complaints.
Reading LM is at it already to gather the biggest issues and try them to fix asap is a good sign. At the end - who cares if its 5.1xyyyxx or 5.1 HF1 to be installed, what we want are visuals like in the screenshots! :) 

Chris Frasure

This is a show stopper for me.  I’m currently on pause until this is fixed.  If it is a sim connect issue does that mean that Navigraph isn’t working either?  Can anyone reproduce?

1D837462-E961-4341-9FDB-014217184C1E.jpeg

Timm Rehberg

NUT4BXK.png

Calm down and dont worry. LM is on it to fix it as soon as possible.
Open communication is a big deal here and we will get more info soon.

• Like 1