Prepar3D v5.1 is now available today

Lothar Gentzsch

Lothar Gentzsch

P3Dv5.1 is avalable today. Can you tell us something about the compatibility with the FSLab products ? 

I'll wait for your answer and knowledge before I update to 5.1.

Regards

Lothar

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stu Antonio

• Timm Rehberg

• Bartu Özkara

• David Norfolk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are actually testing it already. Hope to get it in your hands soon (tm).

Performance, Performance, Performance. I am getting 30% faster FPS and a lot smoother / more fluid experience in v5 compared to any v4.

Just so everyone is aware:  

Posted Images

Robert Sutherland

FSLabs aircraft won’t work with it. So if you’re looking to use them, don’t upgrade until a compatibility update has been released. 

David Norfolk

Fslabs didn't post it in their Discord, The Discord is a community made one by me. The reason i posted that in it is simply because It's how it's always been & i knew people would comment asking why it isn't working. It's not a official discord. 

• Like 1
Peter Hastings

Aren't there two simple options?

Install P3Dv5.1 and wait for FSLabs - or carry on with P3Dv5.0 + HF  and wait for the FSLabs update ?

• Like 2
Stu Antonio

Some users seem to be under the impression that you are obligated to install an update once it comes out. That is not the case. You are free to wait/skip however you like :) 

• Like 2
Danny Moore

P3Dv4.5 user here. I’ve been waiting for v5.1 to release so I can upgrade. Guess I’ll be staying put and waiting for 5.2. Since the latest FSLabs updates I get great performance, everything works and I can’t remember the last time I had a CTD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eric Fisher
5 hours ago, Rafal Haczek said:

Reading first impressions on 5.1, I am not happy at all. <_<
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/588127-p3d-51-released/page/4/

Yep, it is simply unreal that EA is still not right at all. LM had months and this is the result. Whether you like it or not, at least the other sim is open and communicating with the community and making progress. LM is doing themselves no favors in holding on to users at this rate. 

Alberto Restifo

Dang it, I’m new to this and I just upgraded.

Can I simply downgrade by running the client installer of 5.0 or do I need a clean install at this point?

I was quite exited about the stability improvements as I’m getting occasional video crashes, even with very low settings and plenty of feee VRAM.

Norman Blackburn

Hi Alberto,

As long as you still have the previous Install_Client.msi then you could do so.

• Thanks 1
Lefteris Kalamaras
4 minutes ago, Katja Mueller said:

I hope FSBLabs will relase a Patch for 5.1 asap.

We are actually testing it already. Hope to get it in your hands soon (tm).

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4
Camille MOUCHEL

i'll stick with 5.0 then, i can achieve 35 FPS stable almost every time without any crashes

Stu Antonio

I'm also really kind of afraid to update to 5.1 even when FSL releases it's compatibility patch. 5.0 HF2 rund kinda smooth and reasonably stable atm for me (with occasional vcruntime140, kernelbase and device reset CTDs, but what can you do). There are so many reports of instability and outrages regarding the now non-beta-default Enhanced Atmospherics, I'm really not sure what to do or who to trust tbh.

I never liked the puffy-blurry clouds and hazy look of EA, can somebody tell me what "now default" means? Can I even turn EA off and keep using my sweet ASCA textures and Pascal's sky textures?? 

Thx!

• Like 1
Ivan Majetic

I have upgraded and turned the EA off too. 

20 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I never liked the puffy-blurry clouds and hazy look of EA, can somebody tell me what "now default" means? Can I even turn EA off and keep using my sweet ASCA textures and Pascal's sky textures?? 

Thx!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Robin Locher
30 minutes ago, Stu Antonio said:

I'm also really kind of afraid to update to 5.1 even when FSL releases it's compatibility patch. 5.0 HF2 rund kinda smooth and reasonably stable atm for me (with occasional vcruntime140, kernelbase and device reset CTDs, but what can you do). There are so many reports of instability and outrages regarding the now non-beta-default Enhanced Atmospherics, I'm really not sure what to do or who to trust tbh.

Thx!

Yes turn it off. You can turn it off and use the Sky Textures by pascal

• Thanks 1
David Murden

I was really hoping 5.1 would shine, the water is not fixed and 5.1 sounds very disappointing after reading through the topic, Even Rob says "My opinion, V5.1 is not what I hoped it would be and I agree with the observations presented here" 

I think that's sums it up well, sadly.

• Like 1
Robert Sutherland
14 minutes ago, David Murden said:

I was really hoping 5.1 would shine, the water is not fixed and 5.1 sounds very disappointing after reading through the topic, Even Rob says "My opinion, V5.1 is not what I hoped it would be and I agree with the observations presented here" 

I think that's sums it up well, sadly.

Which Rob? 

I'm going to reserve judgement until I've personally tried it. 

I think a lot of simmers who complain have high expectations for updates and very often respond with disappointment when these expectations aren't met. It sounds like 5.1 is an incremental improvement from 5.0, with fixes that have resulted in greater stability. Clearly the cloud system still needs refinement; hopefully that will come with future releases. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
António Abreu

I'm so sick and tired of this "A upgrades, B is not compatible, you have to wait" game. And I'm not talking specifically about FSLabs 'cause it is cross industry. Could we please have a stable platform for, let's say, 6 months where we just fly and do not have to play the "systems administator" role every time we turn on the simulation computer? Please ... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Stu Antonio

I find it problematic if an update makes things worse. I hope that's not the case with 5.1. Then I can totally live with it not blowing me away.

Timm Rehberg
2 minutes ago, António Abreu said:

I'm so sick and tired of this "A upgrades, B is not compatible, you have to wait" game. 

So you'll have to find another hobby.
Flight Simulators are a never ending story in terms of updates, compatibility and features as the technology never sleeps. new hardware raises with new possibilities and limits getting moved away etc.

The one thought MSFS would be the "game" which you click 'install' and enjoy without anything else tweaked or with mods changed is a dreamer :D 
P3D is a pretty old based tweak from FSX with A LOT new features but the community expectations are way too high, always. Expect of being excited and happy that such features like TrueSky being implemented in a very old code and simulator and replacing ugly old clouds and weather engine in general, people complain that it takes "ages" for them to implement it. It should be clear that its not just a mod moving into a community folder and start up LM P3D and TrueSky is active. Imagine the huge code base in P3D and all the things related to the weather/clouds that needs to get adapted and changed.

I don´t like the community-expectations anymore. In every part of flight sim. I find myself complaing about other devs not being able to implement GSX integration etc.
But its not fair. And its bad just to complain instead of enjoying what we currently have/got. P3D v5 and MSFS are amazing!
FlightSim Labs using this platform to provide me my daily dose of love!

• Like 2
Stu Antonio

I think I leaned more about Computers, Operating Systems and Hardware because of Flight Simulators than I did with any other piece of software :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
Timm Rehberg
1 minute ago, Stu Antonio said:

I think I leaned more about Computers, Operating Systems and Hardware because of Flight Simulators than I did with any other piece of software :D

Yep. And I guess that probably half of the CTD or other issues crash related are due to bad overclocking or wrong configurations in Windows at all.
I see myself here getting a bad PC-freez while flying sometimes currently and I am not able to find the reason yet. But I don´t point it directly to LM (yet) :D 
Playing Call of duty or other games for hours doesn't affect my pc at all. Its strange but its 90% my fault! :D 

I do open MSFS once a week and just randomly take off somewhere and just enjoy the view, sunset and shadows everywhere and enjoy what we got and what we will be using in a year or so as your basic flight simulator with all our lovely and favorite addons (addons? I just have FSL :D ). 

I rather get frequent updates (P3D v5, 5.1,..) than having to buy a full game every year like Call of Duty using the same engine all over again and again,...
Its like I said: a never ending development but thats fine! And that sometimes 3 new features come up and break one older feature is the nature of coding and creating "games" :) Its the feedback needed to fix it properly. If more and more people would normally write feedback to LM, they may fix things better rather than trying to get likes on posting in (not official LM/P3D-)forums and complain about things they would never get done by themself. Sometimes we should better say "thank you" for something to devs rather than complaaaaaaaain :) 

Alberto Restifo

My main concern with P3D v5 is the lack of stability:

I turned down all the settings to the point were the ground looks like a mushy mess, I'm not running anything other than FSLabs and Aerosoft Zurich Profressional (with low res textures). 5.0 was running with 2.5/3 GB of VRAM used out of 5 (reported), but despite all of this, I would still get occasional GPU hang crashes, which is incredibly annoying when all your progress on a 2h flight gets lost.

My only hope for 5.1 is that it increase stability. I've looked at all the threads I could find, and other than switching to a Nvidia GPU or buying a GPU with more VRAM, I don't know what else I could do.

The lack of stability lowers my confidence with the platform. Should I buy any addons for P3D at all? Maybe I'm better off staying with what I have and hope one day FSLabs is able to release it's product for MSFS

• Like 1
Timm Rehberg
1 minute ago, Alberto Restifo said:

...incredibly annoying when all your progress on a 2h flight gets lost.

If you want to have a quick solution? Use FSUIPC "autosave" feature. With this, its less annoying because you can easily reopen P3D and load up everything. It works fine with FSL.

• Like 1
Stu Antonio
5 minutes ago, Alberto Restifo said:

progress on a 2h flight gets lost

3 minutes ago, Timm Rehberg said:

If you want to have a quick solution? Use FSUIPC "autosave" feature. With this, its less annoying because you can easily reopen P3D and load up everything. It works fine with FSL.

I was just going to write the same. :)

Saved my day a couple of times already, I like it very much. 
Be sure to exclude the folders from antivirus to avoid annoying freezes every time it saves. And add the "manage also" function to avoid littering your disk... 

• Like 1
António Abreu
48 minutes ago, Timm Rehberg said:

So you'll have to find another hobby.
Flight Simulators are a never ending story in terms of updates, compatibility and features as the technology never sleeps. new hardware raises with new possibilities and limits getting moved away etc.

The one thought MSFS would be the "game" which you click 'install' and enjoy without anything else tweaked or with mods changed is a dreamer :D 
P3D is a pretty old based tweak from FSX with A LOT new features but the community expectations are way too high, always. Expect of being excited and happy that such features like TrueSky being implemented in a very old code and simulator and replacing ugly old clouds and weather engine in general, people complain that it takes "ages" for them to implement it. It should be clear that its not just a mod moving into a community folder and start up LM P3D and TrueSky is active. Imagine the huge code base in P3D and all the things related to the weather/clouds that needs to get adapted and changed.

I don´t like the community-expectations anymore. In every part of flight sim. I find myself complaing about other devs not being able to implement GSX integration etc.
But its not fair. And its bad just to complain instead of enjoying what we currently have/got. P3D v5 and MSFS are amazing!
FlightSim Labs using this platform to provide me my daily dose of love!

Hi Timm,

yes, I know about the complexity (I've been with Flight Simulator since 1988 and, just for context,  professionaly I am a software engineer and project manager). Neverthless, the last year has been too crazy. But I fully agree that people's expectations are too high these days and it is also why I cry for stability. If you see in my signature, I'm still with P3D4.5 and, will all the add-ons, it looks prety nice to me. It seems like people spend more time in forums than flying and are always "living in the future", forgeting to enjoy the present.

Happy landings!

• Like 1
Bartu Özkara

I just saw a post in FSDT Forum about the v5.1

We have been working with 5.1 for months, but nothing has changed in relationship to DX12, is not that 5.1 made it any easier or less risky to use, so won't use it.
However, the big news ( from an SDK point of view ), is support for HTML5 rendering, which replaced the old Scaleform based on Flash technology.

The ATC/Simconnect menu is now made with HTML5+Javascript and the first advantage is that we should finally stop seeing issues with the "GSX menu", that lead to crashes when opening the GSX menu ( it's not the GSX menu, it's the ATC/Simconnect menu ), which contributed to spread the urban legend that GSX can crash the sim ( it can't ), what was crashing in 5.0 was the old Scaleform menu, which is a technology that has been bought by Autodesk only to get rid of it. And Flash will officially die forever in early 2021 anyway.

While there will be an immediate gain in stability with the new menu system, the more interesting thing for us, is that HTML5 is supposed to work with RTT too, which means we might possibly be able to do the same things we used to do in P3D4 using DirectX 11, but in HTML5, which is surely easier to use, faster to develop for, and hopefully less risky. This feature ( RTT with HTML ) has been added very late in the Beta, like a couple of weeks ago, so we didn't had any time to really test it, and is basically not documented yet, other than having got a verbal reassurance from LM that it should work with any kind of scenery or vehicle object.

This doesn't mean you can expect a GSX update to get back custom logos over vehicles or active panels very quickly. The feature is new, we haven't really tested to see if there are any possible issues or performance problems in a real world situation, and there would be a whole new piece of code to write for GSX, to replace what we used to do with DirectX into something using this new system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Danny Moore

Here is feed back from two well known beta tester in the P3D community. They both agree that 5.1 was not ready for release and they had voiced their concerns to LM. 

Simbol

Rob A

• Like 1
Nuno M Pinto

5.1 is looking really really good. Even a notch above the already superb 5.0. If you can either have two installations or spend some time without the FSL buses, it's a safe install.

Is there a REAL need to do so? Not in my opinion. What has changed is not that important that you have to go out and do it. I do it because i like to do so and understand the compromises in such action.

Stu Antonio

After reading through all of the forums, I tend to stay on v5HF2. There are some positive comments and I'm not expecting 5.1. to be a revolution. But many people report CTDs, blurs, stutters and overall performance loss. I'm not looking to make my sim life more complicated, not right now. 

Robert Sutherland

I'm downloading it at the moment (sloooooooooow internet) and will probably do a fresh install of it tonight. I can wait for developers to catch up :) 

Timm Rehberg
10 minutes ago, Danny Moore said:

Here is feed back from two well known beta tester in the P3D community. They both agree that 5.1 was not ready for release and they had voiced their concerns to LM. 

Simbol

Rob A

Who cares? Sometimes releases are not able to postpone anymore due to a planned roadmap. Without a roadmap you can forget any budget planning, etc.
In our IT company, we surely release as well not finished products/pages etc. even though we complain sometimes that the design is not cool but sometimes you have to make customers "happy" by releasing it on time and sometimes someone don´t mind if the button is green or blue. Know knows what markets LM is having next to our entertaiment simming ;)

Danny Moore
45 minutes ago, Timm Rehberg said:
Who cares? Sometimes releases are not able to postpone anymore due to a planned roadmap. Without a roadmap you can forget any budget planning, etc.
In our IT company, we surely release as well not finished products/pages etc. even though we complain sometimes that the design is not cool but sometimes you have to make customers "happy" by releasing it on time and sometimes someone don´t mind if the button is green or blue. Know knows what markets LM is having next to our entertaiment simming

Some people do care. I proved links for those who were interested based on the discussion forums. Not to be schooled in software development and timelines.

FYI, I'm also IT so I know when our Network pushes updates based on timelines or unfinished products I spend my day fixing the issues it causes or restoring the users to a previous build so we don't have mission stoppage.  When I call COM about the push all they can tell me is they were directed to push the update and that we don't have a fix at this time.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bartu Özkara

The same goes for MSFS. It’s was very clear that the MSFS wasn’t ready but same happened.

Markus Burkhard
5 hours ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

i'll stick with 5.0 then, i can achieve 35 FPS stable almost every time without any crashes

I would suggest you upgrade to 5.1 as it is perfectly fine aside from the Enhanced Atmospherics issues. So it's better to upgrade and turn off EA if you don't like it, than to stay on 5.0 .

• Thanks 2
Timm Rehberg
1 minute ago, Bartu Özkara said:

The same goes for MSFS. It’s was very clear that the MSFS wasn’t ready but same happened.

Business reasons :) I think Asobo is not a cheap company for Microsoft to pay. And after years of developement and investment from Microsoft into a new Flight Simulator, there needs to be some return.
But they should have selled it as a "Pre-Release" version :D But I guess for most of the 1.000.000 copies selled, the customers are happy with a default Cessna in a default MSFS world :)

Who knows what LM is planning to implement next and what their roadmap is all about :) 

• Haha 1
Bartu Özkara
Just now, Markus Burkhard said:

I would suggest you upgrade to 5.1 as it is perfectly fine aside from the Enhanced Atmospherics issues. So it's better to upgrade and turn off EA if you don't like it, than to stay on 5.0 .

Thanks for the good news Markus, I downloaded it today but was waiting to see the first impressions. Is there any improvement on the GPU VRam usage to avoid the crashes?

Timm Rehberg
Just now, Bartu Özkara said:

Thanks for the good news Markus, I downloaded it today but was waiting to see the first impressions. Is there any improvement on the GPU VRam usage to avoid the crashes?

From my understanding, GPU/VRAM issues are user based. Some are happy with mid-settings and have a 1080 with 8GB Vram, some have one with 6GB vram and have high settings.
It all depends on many aspects. It is already changing by using different addon airports etc.
I read there is no improvement on VRAM in general but I don´t have it installed yet.

Chris Frasure
9 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

AFTER you release the buses of course ;)

CF

• Like 1