Jump to content

Specs


ben carpenter

Recommended Posts

ben carpenter

Good evening all, would These specs for a new pc be good for the fslabs aircraft? Thankyou

 

  • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores / 16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0GHz 
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX750 80 PLUS Bronze 750W PSU 
  • GRAPHICS CARD:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X Graphics Card
  • MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME Z390-A Motherboard 
  • COOLER: Corsair Hydro H60 (2018) CPU Cooler
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)

 

Link to post
Holger Teutsch

I would go for a Asus TUF or STRIX board to better use the overclock potential of your processor.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

Link to post
Ross McDonagh
On 10/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, ben carpenter said:

Good evening all, would These specs for a new pc be good for the fslabs aircraft? Thankyou

 

  • PROCESSOR: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU, 8 Cores / 16 Threads, 3.6 - 5.0GHz 
  • Power Supply: Corsair CX750 80 PLUS Bronze 750W PSU 
  • GRAPHICS CARD:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X Graphics Card
  • MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME Z390-A Motherboard 
  • COOLER: Corsair Hydro H60 (2018) CPU Cooler
  • Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory (2 x 16GB Sticks)

 

I’d maybe bump the RAM to 3200Mhz. But other than that solid machine 

Link to post
Markus Burkhard
5 hours ago, Ross McDonagh said:

I’d maybe bump the RAM to 3200Mhz. But other than that solid machine 

I agree, such a high-end CPU running at around 5 GHz should be complemented by some matching RAM speed. 3200 MHz is a good sweet spot there. 3600 MHz if the budget is not limited. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
ben carpenter
21 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

I agree, such a high-end CPU running at around 5 GHz should be complemented by some matching RAM speed. 3200 MHz is a good sweet spot there. 3600 MHz if the budget is not limited. 

 

On 10/10/2020 at 4:17 PM, Ross McDonagh said:

I’d maybe bump the RAM to 3200Mhz. But other than that solid machine 

I've already ordered those specs but changed to cooler. I'm going to try the 2666 ram but if it's too slow then I will get the 3200. Thankyou for your help

Link to post
Markus Burkhard
2 hours ago, ben carpenter said:

I've already ordered those specs but changed to cooler. I'm going to try the 2666 ram but if it's too slow then I will get the 3200. Thankyou for your help

I'd say that's not something you can "feel" whether it's slow or not. I mean where would you take your reference from. 2666 MHz will work fine, it won't bring your system down to a crawl. But it won't be what's best for the rest of your hardware. But it will work fine.

Maybe return them unopened and ask if you could purchase some 3200 or 3600 MHz sticks instead? They should say yes, after all, those will be a bit more expensive so they can earn a few bucks more.

Link to post
ben carpenter
58 minutes ago, Markus Burkhard said:

I'd say that's not something you can "feel" whether it's slow or not. I mean where would you take your reference from. 2666 MHz will work fine, it won't bring your system down to a crawl. But it won't be what's best for the rest of your hardware. But it will work fine.

Maybe return them unopened and ask if you could purchase some 3200 or 3600 MHz sticks instead? They should say yes, after all, those will be a bit more expensive so they can earn a few bucks more.

What does the “speed” of ram actually do. Sorry for not knowing much about specs or anything 

Link to post
Markus Burkhard
33 minutes ago, ben carpenter said:

What does the “speed” of ram actually do. Sorry for not knowing much about specs or anything 

The faster the RAM is, the faster it can transfer data to and from the CPU. So the faster your CPU, the faster the RAM should be to keep up. But there's no hard limit here on how fast the RAM should be to be "good enough". I'm obviously no hardware expert, but those smart people doing tests and benchmarks all day long, they all use 3200 MHz RAM as a minimum when using them with high-end CPUs, have been for a few years now. 

Fact is, files are getting larger all the time. And the larger the files, the more data is being transferred to the CPU, making it ever more important to up the RAM speed a bit to keep up with increasing file size. So something that is fast will always be a better match for your CPU, since it is top of the line speed-wise. And 2666 MHz RAM has not been top of the line for many many years now. You don't need to go all in and get poor by buying 4600 MHz RAM, but if you could get 3200-3600, that would be fantastic.

So why not ask your vendor if you can exchange the RAM for faster ones while you haven't opened the one you ordered. It can't get worse than them saying no, but then you know :) 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...