How is FSLabs A320, when it comes to failures?

Faruk Eroğlu

Faruk Eroğlu

Hi,

I am a new Prepar3D user. Normally I was planning to wait for PMDG, FSLabs etc. to release their aircraft for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, but it looks like it will take a lot (more than 1 years), and once they are out I won't have much time for this hobby.

I am about to get my first add-on aircraft, and it is really hard to decide. I am mostly in between FSLabs A320 and PMDG 747. How is FSLabs A320 when it comes to failures, and when compared to PMDG 747? I like trying (and learning) failure scenarios, so a detailed failure system would be really nice, including maintenance-based / randomized failures. I was unable to find a complete list of failure scenarios, is there a public & complete list available somewhere?

Thank you.

Sabine Meier

it has failures but they need to be armed by the user. some failures pop up when the user made an error such as not checking the windows. there is no list of failures included as far as i am aware but they are in the mcdu menu regarding a failure. the a320 and the 747 are two different horses.

• Like 1
Faruk Eroğlu
38 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

it has failures but they need to be armed by the user. some failures pop up when the user made an error such as not checking the windows. there is no list of failures included as far as i am aware but they are in the mcdu menu regarding a failure. the a320 and the 747 are two different horses.

Thank you. A320 and 747 are indeed quite different, it's just that I really would love to have an aircraft which I can pretty much simulate as many non-normal operations as possible, so I would just go with the more "complete" one in that sense, regardless of the aircraft type.

Markus Burkhard
21 hours ago, Faruk Eroglu said:

Thank you. A320 and 747 are indeed quite different, it's just that I really would love to have an aircraft which I can pretty much simulate as many non-normal operations as possible, so I would just go with the more "complete" one in that sense, regardless of the aircraft type.

Like Koen has said, we don't have a maintenance-based / random failure module that compares to the PMDG one, yet. However we do have an extensive list of failures you can train, and failures can be randomised either for all failure types or just certain groups of systems. It's just that the random failure modes have a much higher occurrence rate compared to "everyday life".
As for the list of failures, if in doubt, just name the failure types you want to train and we'll tell you if they are available.

In addition to that failure list and random scenario generator we do have plenty of non-normals happening if you operate the aircraft the wrong way. For example there is a fully custom icing model present that does affect performance (wing and engine) in a realistic way and can even lead to a stall if you continue to ignore icing. This is something the PMDG747 doesn't have.
Or do a tailstrike and your APU and/or cabin pressure might have to say a thing or two about that, pay attention to fuel temperature both at the lower and upper end of the limits, there's plenty of things that do need your attention and that do have consequences if ignored.

So there's plenty of things for non-normals that can keep you busy. 

• Like 2
Faruk Eroğlu
1 hour ago, Markus Burkhard said:

Like Koen has said, we don't have a maintenance-based / random failure module that compares to the PMDG one, yet. However we do have an extensive list of failures you can train, and failures can be randomised either for all failure types or just certain groups of systems. It's just that the random failure modes have a much higher occurrence rate compared to "everyday life".
As for the list of failures, if in doubt, just name the failure types you want to train and we'll tell you if they are available.

In addition to that failure list and random scenario generator we do have plenty of non-normals happening if you operate the aircraft the wrong way. For example there is a fully custom icing model present that does affect performance (wing and engine) in a realistic way and can even lead to a stall if you continue to ignore icing. This is something the PMDG747 doesn't have.
Or do a tailstrike and your APU and/or cabin pressure might have to say a thing or two about that, pay attention to fuel temperature both at the lower and upper end of the limits, there's plenty of things that do need your attention and that do have consequences if ignored.

So there's plenty of things for non-normals that can keep you busy. 

Thank you. Based on the videos I've watched, it looks like everything I want is there. Just one question, it looks like it has reactive windshear warnings, but does it have predictive windshear warnings too?

Markus Burkhard

If you want to train windshear procedures, I'd suggest to also get the RealTurb add-on. It drastically increases the chance of getting realistic windshear, because if you only use ActiveSky (or any other weather engine), wind will blow through terrain and never take its shape into account. RealTurb changes all that and takes the wind from ActiveSky and changes it to be influenced by terrain.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Markus Burkhard said:

If you want to train windshear procedures, I'd suggest to also get the RealTurb add-on. It drastically increases the chance of getting realistic windshear, because if you only use ActiveSky (or any other weather engine), wind will blow through terrain and never take its shape into account. RealTurb changes all that and takes the wind from ActiveSky and changes it to be influenced by terrain.

And landing at a coastal and/or mountainous airport actually requires quite a bit of skill!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
Cesar gutierrez
On 10/3/2020 at 7:51 AM, Markus Burkhard said:

hi , i am interesting on practice those , i have both add ons , could you explain me please how to set the windshear ?