Best time to change to V5?

Dave Taylor

Koen Meier
5 minutes ago, Rado Sutto said:

I'm not satisfied with P3Dv5, too much problems with graphics, sometimes 8 GB GPU is not enough, new TrueSky is beautiful, but clouds are flat, no CB, with visible strange tiling etc. Some freeware scenery have problems with missing models or objects with wrong altitude etc.

True sky is a beta implantation. If you know how to set you sim 8gb of vram is good enough. With the fslabs I never see more then 5gb of vram at pbr airports.

I tested v5 on customer's machine with PMDG NGXu on i7-9700K 32 GB / RTX2060 8 GB, sim crashed on OOVM. I was not able make flight from LEBL to LZIB via LSGG, LIMW, LOWI. The weather many times changed abruptly, did not correctly depicted storm and rain etc. With TrueSky OFF was all OK, but there is not any visible advance against old v4.5. I observed small fps increase in case v5.

Tested config :

P3D v5, Terra Emergence project base texture pack + TE trees, NGXu, freeware airports for LOWI, LSGG and LIMW.

Here is another test flight from LIMW to LOWI :

Marvin Toepfer
On 9/24/2020 at 2:21 PM, Pascal Wagner said:

Also an idea. Do you see the others, who are online with you? 

Sure. It’s all for v5 as well. Nothing tweaked or so.

On 9/24/2020 at 2:42 PM, Rado Sutto said:

I'm not satisfied with P3Dv5, too much problems with graphics, sometimes 8 GB GPU is not enough, new TrueSky is beautiful, but clouds are flat, no CB, with visible strange tiling etc. Some freeware scenery have problems with missing models or objects with wrong altitude etc.

Byx76f6.jpg

Near Mnt. Blanc, freeware base texture pack Terra Emergence project

7Apv1BS.jpg

Grand Canyon photoscenery by BlueSky

I have a GTX1080, 8GB. No problems with Vram. Either with truesky on or off.

Markus Burkhard
On 9/24/2020 at 3:25 PM, Rado Sutto said:

I tested v5 on customer's machine with PMDG NGXu on i7-9700K 32 GB / RTX2060 8 GB, sim crashed on OOVM. I was not able make flight from LEBL to LZIB via LSGG, LIMW, LOWI. The weather many times changed abruptly, did not correctly depicted storm and rain etc. With TrueSky OFF was all OK, but there is not any visible advance against old v4.5. I observed small fps increase in case v5.

Not sure this limited test run is enough to make any judgment over v5. 
Yes it's true, one can run out of VRAM and get a crash. However, this only happens if either the software is not set up within the boundaries of the system, or if lots of sceneries are used where developers were not careful with texture size selections. 

If however your video card has 8GB or more, and you don't use aircraft or scenery with seriously excessive VRAM usage (mostly due to bad design techniques), you get rewarded with a solid DX12 simulator with fantastic performance. I see 50% or more FPS increase in all scenarios I do.

• Like 1

I can't compare performance, but it is not only about fps. I used 4 years opensource sim with not very good weather system and that weather sudden changes was reason for move to payware P3D v4.5 and ActiveSky with smooth weather simulation. Today P3Dv5 with TrueSky doesn't support AS weather very well, there are abrupt changes (my son many times crashed after change from CAVOK to Fog in split second), bad clouds depiction (all clouds with same ceil, no towers or CBs) etc. With EA off I don't see any benefit, only problems with many incompatibility with my free scenery library :( and my only 6GB GPU. When LM release EA final version and FSLabs (or someone other) new Concorde, I probably upgrade hardware and move on it. Now, for me, it is too early for switch.

That is my point of view...