Best time to change to V5?

Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor

Hi everyone,

I am still happily using P3Dv4.5.

Can you advise me, when It would be appropriate to change to '5' at a time when, all the regular addon's are ready too and including all the Airbus family?

• Like 1
Stu Antonio

I think it‘s absolutely appropriate to switch any time now. Most of the main add ons and airports etc. are already conpatible (ORBX stuff, FSUIPC, ActiveSky, Envshade etc.) yet some airports are still missing as well as REX products I believe. And you will have to say goodbye to TomatoShade, should you use it  It might depend on exactly what add ons you have and which ones are inportant/mandatory to you. But in my opinion, the benefits of the inproved performance and better PBR ourweigh the fact that some airports are still not conpatible.

I switched to v5 quite a while ago and I didn‘t regret it. But that‘s just one opinion, others may disagree. I suggest you decide and investigate for your own. 

BR

• Thanks 1
Stu Antonio

PS: To date, only FSLabs‘ A320 ans A321 are compatible with v5. The A319 is still in the process of becoming compatible.

• Thanks 1
Marvin Toepfer

Stu has said everything but to be honest, I dont get your question. You can simply look up what is compatible to v5. There are many discussions about the benefits and cons of v5, maybe u look them up as well. I think thats the question u have ;)

I personally like it.

Robert Scott

Instead of "switching", add a parallel installation of v5 to your existing v4 installation and keep the ability to run both.  A point in time will come naturally where you realize that v4 has outlived its usefulness.  Presently, from my perspective, that point has not yet appeared on the horizon.  You can update things to v5 incrementally, and in those cases where you want to fly an add-on plane or to/from/over an add-on scenery where a v5 capability hasn't yet emerged, just fly it in v4.  SSDs are really cheap these days.

• Thanks 2
Nuno M Pinto
On 9/4/2020 at 11:32 PM, Dave Taylor said:

Hi everyone,

I am still happily using P3Dv4.5.

Can you advise me, when It would be appropriate to change to '5' at a time when, all the regular addon's are ready too and including all the Airbus family?

Now? :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Craig Baillie

Monday the 7th of September 2020 :P. I was hesitant at first with MSFS on the horizon but it’s going to be a while before we see 3rd party deep level aircraft there so I see v5 as a worthy upgrade.

The only thing that I would be cautious about is if your graphics card is low on VRAM, I see it average about 3gb so if you only have 4 you may have to tune your settings down a little.

• Thanks 1
Christoph Sebek

I took the plunge when the A320 became available. :wub:

Some of my FS Buddies could not understand that move because they said MFS was nearby, so why spend another $60 bucks.

Well, I replied, I spent thousands in the past years - these 60 bucks won`t kill me. And besides, I would rather fly than wait.

Apart from picking up MFS via the GamePass, I am still enjoying V5 a lot - desperately waiting for the A319 to finally pop up. :)

António Abreu

I did some calculations and to go to a parallel installation of V5 I would need to expend around 500€ (new SSD, new licenses for P3D, FSUIPC, scenery, etc) and, with that money,  will end up with less add-ons than I have in V4.5. If money is not an issue I guess I would jump now (and please don't add FS2020 to the discussion , appart from the fancy base scenery, it has a long way to go to have the same funcionality as P3D and I mainly fly airliners so I don't look down too much away from the airports). In my case, I'll probably wait for Christmas to bring it to me! :)

Craig Baillie
2 hours ago, António Abreu said:

I did some calculations and to go to a parallel installation of V5 I would need to expend around 500€ (new SSD, new licenses for P3D, FSUIPC, scenery, etc) and, with that money,  will end up with less add-ons than I have in V4.5. If money is not an issue I guess I would jump now (and please don't add FS2020 to the discussion , appart from the fancy base scenery, it has a long way to go to have the same funcionality as P3D and I mainly fly airliners so I don't look down too much away from the airports). In my case, I'll probably wait for Christmas to bring it to me! :)

If you’ve got 4.5 I’m curious how you get to 500 EUR.

P3Dv5 licence & fsuipc was the only expenditure I had.

• Like 1
Koen Meier
1 minute ago, Craig Baillie said:

i think that ssd might be the killer. although a 500gb ssd isnt that much anymore.

Craig Baillie

I would also add the question why are you thinking of having both 4.5 & 5 installed? I assume you may have a beloved addon that hasn’t moved over? 

Now V5 has been out for a while I see little reason to have two P3D installations.

Christoph Sebek
11 minutes ago, Dave Taylor said:

I would like to know why you decided to use my posting to highlight problems you have?

What is so hard about starting a new thread, asking your questions there?

:blink:

António Abreu
3 hours ago, Craig Baillie said:

Lots of scenery and other add-ons that require license upgrade or full new license.

Koen Meier
3 minutes ago, António Abreu said:

Lots of scenery and other add-ons that require license upgrade or full new license.

only just sim as far as i know have a upgrade fee but that is because the way simmarket works, the rest if i recall was free.

António Abreu
3 hours ago, Craig Baillie said:

I would also add the question why are you thinking of having both 4.5 & 5 installed? I assume you may have a beloved addon that hasn’t moved over? 

Now V5 has been out for a while I see little reason to have two P3D installations.

Hi Craig,

installing P3DV4.5 with all the addons I have is something that took me about a week (not 24 hours a day of course) the last time I did it. I would two choices:

1. Clean the current SSD holding P3V4.5 hopping that all add-ons I'm used to are already available for V5 and assume that I can pay the new licenses costs.

2. Do a survey to check availability of all addons and at what cost.

The first option is too risky for me. So I did the second one a few weeks ago and came to the conclusion that addons that are critical for me are either not available or require additional money expending. That's why, for now, I keep P3DV4.5 only.

Of course this is just my point of view and my budget limitations for simulation, other people may think differently.

Holger Teutsch

If I recall right the only add-on I bought new was FSUIPC. All other were upgraded free of charge or simply worked in V5. I copied over the add-ons folder or simply linked sceneries into the V5 index.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1
Matt Bernard

I am currently in the process of upgrading to P3Dv5 as well. I used to use XP11 to satisfy the itch for GA VFR flying but MSFS has completely replaced XP11 for that task. It has been a couple of months since I flew in P3Dv4 and I really miss the depth of systems simulation that P3D and the FSL A320 provide, so I decided it time. As others have mentioned, it is always a pain to have to go through and reinstall the dozens of add ons but I am looking forward to the end result. No time like the present to make the change in my opinion.  

Pascal Wagner

Does anyone know if this Sky3D clouds or sorry i dont remember the actual name of that feature of V5, are still beta. I think i heard REX is waiting till this comes out of beta for the release of their add on (SkyForce). I personally wait till this clouds are not beta anymore. Its very sad, that the Barcelona citylandscape from Orbx is not yet compatible. I like LEBL as an airport. And i liked London City pretty much as well. Think they said to bring them either. 

Back to my question. Anyone knows when this comes out of beta? Thanks

Marvin Toepfer

You mean the TrueSky feature Pascal. As far as I know, no timeframe is given. REX is in final testing and announced a release in October of SkyForce. The main advantage for me is the much better performance of v5. TrueSky looks nice, but you clearly see that it's still in beta. But you don't have to use it.

Pascal Wagner
33 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

You mean the TrueSky feature Pascal. As far as I know, no timeframe is given. REX is in final testing and announced a release in October of SkyForce. The main advantage for me is the much better performance of v5. TrueSky looks nice, but you clearly see that it's still in beta. But you don't have to use it.

Yes TrueSky was the name. Thanks Marvin. So you can disable TrueSky. Anybody any idea when HIFI is able to give a stable release for AS and ASCA (( I know they have a beta testing going on) it takes long, maybe they wait as well on a stable truesky release)? Immersive clouds are a must for flying virtually. I personally use AS and ASCA and i m pretty happy with it. I tried SF from REX, but ASCA is in my personal opinion a bit better. Specially when it comes to effects like flying through clouds. Those clouds are for me the last peace of the puzzle. I have a good performance with V4, so i have time... to wait for AS and ASCA... But everybody should fell its individual decision here. This is mine so far. So i stick a little longer with V4. 

Marvin Toepfer
Just now, Pascal Wagner said:

but not officially

officially. it's still a beta status but its stable now. no difference to the v4 version anymore

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Pascal Wagner
16 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

I copied the sky textures from REX SF and use the clouds of AS and ASCA.

This works so simple? Not big hacks necessary. But you see my problem is, that i want everything working out of the box. I really spent so many time in the past to deactivate bgl files or copy things from a to b, or do so many stuff. Developers should consider this. Lets take Orbx. You have to deal with so many bgl files from time to time. Then you get an update and you have to deactivate all those files again. This consumes so many time. 

Pascal Wagner
4 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

officially. it's still a beta status but its stable now. no difference to the v4 version anymore

So you deactivate TrueSky and the skies are looking like V4 again with AS and ASCA. Maybe this makes my decision to switch earlier. Thanks Marvin. 

A full weekend will be scheduled for this. Oh lord. 

Marvin Toepfer

Yep, I understand what you mean. I think, it will always remain like this with ORBX. But this is not a v5 thing. You have the same in v4.

Just now, Pascal Wagner said:

So you deactivate TrueSky and the skies are looking like V4 again with AS and ASCA. Maybe this makes my decision to switch earlier. 

Correct!

Marvin Toepfer

EDDL 111620Z 29004KT 250V320 CAVOK 23/11 Q1016 NOSIG

Fuel Remaining: 2.3
Fuel Loaded: 4.4
ETE:0048

Landing Flap:CONF F
Touchdown Speed:124.40 Kts
Touchdown VS:-230.07 Ft/Min
Touchdown Pitch:2.97
Touchdown Bank:0.01
Touchdown Crab:0.77
Deviation from VREF:-0.64 Kts

https://youtu.be/H6QWuWU3LqU

Pascal Wagner
2 hours ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

damn, the quality is really bad...

You mean the dirty windshield :P. IFR approach....

Your nose went down pretty quickly after touch down. Normally you roll a bit longer on the main gear and bring down the nose gear smoothly as well. Just keep a little pressure on the stick and let it down softly. You can pull more for the flare TD pitch can be more.  Do you use pedals or do you use a twist joystick for the tiller? Be patient with the airplane while rolling. I m not an Airbus Pilot, but i know how to fly a Cessna for example (I know you cant compare this, but some physics are the same). When the plane leaves the centerline just apply gently more and more pressure on the rudder/tiller till you feel a reaction and release it a little then. Most people going then flat out and try to control it "digital", if you know what i mean. This impulses mostly lead into this curvy driving on the runway. Or if it doesnt help, then flat out but release it again quickly. If you keep the tiller for longer time, suddenly the plane answers with full movement. You will find it out...Its all about training. I am actually moving forward to a CPL to have the chance getting a trainer later on. But i m not in hurry. Dont feel any critics here. Our community should be there to bring everybody to perfection. If this was helping a little, then i am happy. You helped me with the clouds, so i would like to pay it back with some advices. Any questions in regards to whatever for real flying, then write me a pm, but i m very busy from time to time, so please dont await an answer within some minutes. TBH. Even guys like FlyKenku or Chrizzy or the guy with the Chewbacca symbol are making so many youtube content, but still doing a lot of mistakes. I d love to make some videos with my sim, but i have personally no clu for example how to replay a video with all features. I know there is a replay function, but there are no flaps moving or ailerons moving. Its a very very static replay. I d really like to how this works. I could simply do live recording, but which pilot can land a plane while looking through the overwing window. Or is there any tool what does record all my control inputs, to be able to replay this stuff? I would appreciate your input. Thanks

Marvin Toepfer

Pascal, thanks for all those tips ;) the thing is: I wanted to post it in the hard autoland thread :Dit was not meant to be here but I switched threads a lot yesterday. the flare, rudder Input and so on wasn’t me, it was the AP :D I guess it’s a scenery thing. 
To record something, I use the Nvidia tool 

• Like 1
Joel Murray

FWIW ... I switched from P3D v4.5 to P3D v5 HF2 when I bought a new, much more powerful computer than what I had. I thought about starting out with v4.5 and then waiting for v5 to settle down a bit before I installed V5 and uninstalled v4.5, but I didn't want to go through the great expense of time to do that. I bit the bullet and installed only v5. I'm glad I did. :-)

Pascal Wagner
On 9/12/2020 at 5:09 AM, Marvin Toepfer said:

Pascal, thanks for all those tips ;) the thing is: I wanted to post it in the hard autoland thread :Dit was not meant to be here but I switched threads a lot yesterday. the flare, rudder Input and so on wasn’t me, it was the AP :D I guess it’s a scenery thing. 
To record something, I use the Nvidia tool 

Pretty interesting indeed. I will play with the tool a little. Is this tool coming with the GeForce Experience software?

Marvin Toepfer
2 hours ago, Pascal Wagner said:

Pretty interesting indeed. I will play with the tool a little. Is this tool coming with the GeForce Experience software?

yes, it does :) 

Pascal Wagner
On 9/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, Marvin Toepfer said:

yes, it does :) 

Hi Marvin, or anyone from the best Forum in the sim community. How do i get utlive running in V5. Or is there any alternative available? Thanks for your help. 

Marvin Toepfer
8 hours ago, Pascal Wagner said:

Hi Marvin, or anyone from the best Forum in the sim community. How do i get utlive running in V5. Or is there any alternative available? Thanks for your help. 

I dont use any traffic addons. I only use VATSIM.

I'm not satisfied with P3Dv5, too much problems with graphics, sometimes 8 GB GPU is not enough, new TrueSky is beautiful, but clouds are flat, no CB, with visible strange tiling etc. Some freeware scenery have problems with missing models or objects with wrong altitude etc.

Byx76f6.jpg

Near Mnt. Blanc, freeware base texture pack Terra Emergence project

7Apv1BS.jpg

Grand Canyon photoscenery by BlueSky