Thrustmaster Airbus Throttle

Chris Frasure

Stu Antonio

From the video above it looks like it doesn’t have an extra idle reverse detent, it‘s just a free area to full reverse after you lift the little levers. I always thought there is an extra notch for idle reverse IRL but I‘m no pilot. Is it realistic? 

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris Frasure

• Ross McDonagh

• Bartu Özkara

• Stu Antonio

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Chris - we’re working with Thrustmaster. More will be announced at a later date.

Idle reverse is tricky, to be honest since owning the TCA Quadrant I’ve only been using full reverse. It’s a minor negative point to the added immersion the unit brings. For myself, someone who hasn’t

There are a few tricky points with the TCA Quadrant: 1) IDLE reverse, as Andy said, is not that handy - but everyone will be able to set it up on their own, I suppose. I also find myself using FU

Posted Images

Zachary Kerr

I think (and this is a total guess) when you engage  reverse thrust, the thruster assembly depresses a button/switch which is mapped to F2 (or is it F1 in the FSLabs...I can never remember).  But again, this is a complete guess....I have not been hands on with the throttle quadrant yet. 

Andrew Wilson

Idle reverse is tricky, to be honest since owning the TCA Quadrant I’ve only been using full reverse. It’s a minor negative point to the added immersion the unit brings. For myself, someone who hasn’t ever really owned any hardware other than a joystick, the TCA Quadrant is a fantastic addition for Airbus enthusiasts.

• Like 7
Bob Zolto

The firsttime I started the updates, I got the message about the red button/AP.  It also said to check called Input Controls.  Where do I find that?

Stu Antonio
44 minutes ago, Andrew Wilson said:

Idle reverse is tricky, to be honest since owning the TCA Quadrant I’ve only been using full reverse. It’s a minor negative point to the added immersion the unit brings. For myself, someone who hasn’t ever really owned any hardware other than a joystick, the TCA Quadrant is a fantastic addition for Airbus enthusiasts.

Thanks for the insight.
Judging from the yellow markings on the side, I really thought they implemented two detents for reverse.

I think I will buy it anyway  :) 

Lefteris Kalamaras

There are a few tricky points with the TCA Quadrant:

1) IDLE reverse, as Andy said, is not that handy - but everyone will be able to set it up on their own, I suppose. I also find myself using FULL reverse instead and it does the trick.

2) There are two buttons (instead of lights) next to the mode selection knob below the engine start switches. Those we mapped to the fire test buttons for ENG 1 and 2, as the real aircraft only has those as lights.

3) (for those getting the add-on speed brake and flaps axis hardware) - the Auto Brake functionality is through a knob, instead of what exists in the real aircraft, which is 3 buttons LO MED and MAX. We come very close to the functionality, but I'd have preferred realism - I assume they did that because of the variety of styles present in bigger Airbus aircraft.

• Like 5
Ross McDonagh
6 hours ago, Bob Zolto said:

In his announcement today, Lefteris mentioned that the Airbus hardware is automatically set up.  I have the stick (waiting for throttle coming end of month) and am wondering if there is a diagram of what actions are linked to the buttons?  I have some done through the sim, but they might not be the same as the ones FSL sets up.

I have the same exact question.  On my sidestick, I’ve got

On the left side 

Front/top row

LOC/EXPED/TO CONFIG

Back/Bottom Row

FD1/FD2/LS1&2

On the right side 

Front/top row 

Autobrake  Lo-Med-Max

Back/Bottom Row

AP1/AP2/APPR

Sidestick priority button is as expected, I use the “top” trigger for view center, the trigger for PTT and the left side button for view switch. 

This is all setup thru FSUIPC rotor brake codes and I’d hate to have it change.   The only thing I’d want is for the null zones to be set automatically-I did the math as the FSL intro guide suggested and set the differing null zone percentages and I often wonder if that’s how the stick should feel.  I’ve got the clamp as well with another waiting for the throttle to be installed 

DA4B86AB-2B01-46FC-BCDC-F7179E573AA7.jpeg

45C97B41-5E18-47CF-B52A-D0CD0AA74FFE.jpeg

84CA36D8-ED20-4BC7-A908-D8F82DC82C7F.jpeg

Lefteris Kalamaras

We only set up the AP Disconnect button on the sidestick - most of the automatic configuration concerns the TCA Quadrant and addon axes (flaps/speedbrake) with the associated knobs and buttons.

• Like 1
Bob Zolto

Thanks, Lefteris.  The announcement was a bit vague.   Waiting for my quadrant.

Jakob Thomsen

Hi, I just got the quadrant today, but it seems like it's not working with the Engine Mode selector and ignition switches as well? I downloaded the drivers straight after plugging it in and it says all the right things. Any ideas? Is there any way to map the switches within P3D?

Lefteris Kalamaras
42 minutes ago, Jakob Thomsen said:

Hi, I just got the quadrant today, but it seems like it's not working with the Engine Mode selector and ignition switches as well? I downloaded the drivers straight after plugging it in and it says all the right things. Any ideas? Is there any way to map the switches within P3D?

What exactly is not working for you? Can you please take a video?

Are you loading the sim and A320 in a particular panel state? i.e. for Cold And Dark, are you setting your switches to OFF before loading? (we can't physically move them to OFF so you have to match your initial configuration at initialization).

Jakob Thomsen
1 hour ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

What exactly is not working for you? Can you please take a video?

Are you loading the sim and A320 in a particular panel state? i.e. for Cold And Dark, are you setting your switches to OFF before loading? (we can't physically move them to OFF so you have to match your initial configuration at initialization).

Hi Lefteris,

Yeah I'm loading the sim in cold and dark, I can see in your general input menu in the Add Ons tab of P3D that the switches are configured correctly, and I tried to look at the main P3D controls menu to see if any actions were binded to "Button 3-4-7-8" which are the ones for ENG 1-2 master and Crank and IGN/Start on the new TCA joystick and quadrant. All the switches are in the off position when loading in as well.

Best wishes,

Jakob

Lefteris Kalamaras
49 minutes ago, Jakob Thomsen said:

Hi Lefteris,

Yeah I'm loading the sim in cold and dark, I can see in your general input menu in the Add Ons tab of P3D that the switches are configured correctly, and I tried to look at the main P3D controls menu to see if any actions were binded to "Button 3-4-7-8" which are the ones for ENG 1-2 master and Crank and IGN/Start on the new TCA joystick and quadrant. All the switches are in the off position when loading in as well.

Best wishes,

Jakob

Hi Jakob-

I appreciate the video.

So, you can verify there are no actions bound to those buttons in the default P3D keys right?

Lefteris Kalamaras

Can you please use the Windows Control Panel -> Setup USB Game Controllers -> Properties (for the TCA Q-Eng 1&2 hardware) to ensure that the buttons light up in the properties window when you test them?

Jakob Thomsen

6 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Hi Jakob-

I appreciate the video.

So, you can verify there are no actions bound to those buttons in the default P3D keys right?

Yup no P3D actions bounded to the buttons, and I've checked in the properties, and the buttons light up when I turn or switch them into the different positions. 

Lefteris Kalamaras

Can you please post a screenshot of the Control Panel Properties Window for the Quadrant - is it your only joystick?

Also - under the P3D Options menu -> Other Controls - do you use "DirectInput" or "RawInput" - which one is selected?

Lefteris Kalamaras

I could reproduce the problem with Raw Input. Apparently, while our detection mechanism works and correctly identifies the appropriate joystick button (if you go through the trouble of deleting the setting in our FSL Input Options and then Set-ting it again), P3D itself does not propagate the event through correctly.

It's also evident in other add-on aircraft forums - for example, this link.

Switch to Direct Input and try again, then let me know.

Chris Frasure

I know you gents are discussing non working switches but if I may ask a question.  Are the axises pre-programmed?  Are the detents set up correctly?

CF

Lefteris Kalamaras
7 minutes ago, Chris Frasure said:

I know you gents are discussing non working switches but if I may ask a question.  Are the axises pre-programmed?  Are the detents set up correctly?

CF

There is a setup that is covered in our documentation regarding thrust levers - the process is the same as with any other thrust lever axis setup, so you should have no issues setting that up as well.

Jakob Thomsen
9 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

I could reproduce the problem with Raw Input. Apparently, while our detection mechanism works and correctly identifies the appropriate joystick button (if you go through the trouble of deleting the setting in our FSL Input Options and then Set-ting it again), P3D itself does not propagate the event through correctly.

It's also evident in other add-on aircraft forums - for example, this link.

Switch to Direct Input and try again, then let me know.

It works! You genius! :D Thanks very much for the help!

Lefteris Kalamaras
Just now, Jakob Thomsen said:

It works! You genius! :D Thanks very much for the help!

Glad to have helped!

• Lefteris Kalamaras changed the title to [Resolved]Thrustmaster Airbus Throttle
Rob Bates

Mines coming on Thursday. Looking forward to it. Did make me wonder - i have disabled controllers in P3D and instead assign them through FSUIPC (i got sick of P3D constantly changing the sensitivity/null zone setting for my axis, and i like setting curves).  Not an unusual setup. Will i/others need to undo this method to get the TCA TQ working i wonder?

Edit: Occurred to me i could test this with the TCA Sidestick. I confirm the AP Disengage button works, so hopefully the TQ will work too!

• Like 1
Lefteris Kalamaras

The axes are not assigned by default in our input controls, so they will continue working if you assign them through FSUIPC, however you'll still have to go through the MCDU thrust lever setup to define gates, as you'd have to do with any other thrust lever joystick axis.

The buttons, knobs and switches on the Quadrant are the ones assigned automatically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Ross McDonagh
20 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

There is a setup that is covered in our documentation regarding thrust levers - the process is the same as with any other thrust lever axis setup, so you should have no issues setting that up as well.

Lefteris,

This is something I’ve been wondering about for a bit since you guys have mentioned that “idle reverse is tricky” it took me about a solid month of tiny tweaks to really setup my thrust levers (currently CH) to get idle and then Max reverse tuned right.   Below is a video of how it currently works for me-my question is-will this still be possible to set in the detent zones/what makes it so tricky?  I’m trying to craft a “battle plan” for when my delivery arrives this weekend! 

Chris Frasure

Ross.  You sound like you are in the states (New England is my guess :))  Where did you order your throttle?  

CF

Ross McDonagh
1 hour ago, Chris Frasure said:

Ross.  You sound like you are in the states (New England is my guess :))  Where did you order your throttle?  

CF

Microsoft @Chris Frasure and I had called them this morning and they said the release was all set and scheduled for tomorrow... Meanwhile I just got an “availability date changed” email from Microsoft with a $10 coupon-so I called the store and they said they couldn’t find any issue with my preorder and that it should be here by Monday-Wednesday next week-now the Microsoft store woman I spoke to is going to send me an email and/or call to update me as soon as she finds out why I got the email cause she found no reason in her system with my order # that it shouldn’t ship as anticipated tomorrow or the day after.  

and yes-South Boston 

Chris Frasure
1 hour ago, Ross McDonagh said:

Microsoft @Chris Frasure and I had called them this morning and they said the release was all set and scheduled for tomorrow... Meanwhile I just got an “availability date changed” email from Microsoft with a $10 coupon-so I called the store and they said they couldn’t find any issue with my preorder and that it should be here by Monday-Wednesday next week-now the Microsoft store woman I spoke to is going to send me an email and/or call to update me as soon as she finds out why I got the email cause she found no reason in her system with my order # that it shouldn’t ship as anticipated tomorrow or the day after.  

and yes-South Boston 

I couldn’t get it anywhere in the states.  Was totally sold out.  So I ordered it from Aerosoft Europe with an extra $40 shipping charge.  I too got my receipt this morning so I’m assuming mine is in the mail too.

Chris

stephen speak

Well I got an email from Amazon yesterday to say the Thrustmaster TCA officer pack was delayed..yet again to the 13th November..that’s the second delay since I ordered it in June

Brad King

I got the same email from Microsoft with a $10 gift card saying the order was delayed. 

It might be worth noting I have had a delayed preorder with Microsoft once before years ago and they did something similar where I got a follow up email with some compensation about one month after the original promised date. I theorize it is just an algorithmic response based on the delay length but I’m trying to temper optimistic expectations at this point. 

Norman Blackburn

Dear @Acey22

Please change your forum name to be your real first and last names thanks.

Norman Blackburn
52 minutes ago, Brad King said:

@Norman Blackburn Fixed! Didn’t realize I had never actually posted on this forum. Sorry about that.

Thanks Brad!

Peter Hastings
2 hours ago, stephen speak said:

Well I got an email from Amazon yesterday to say the Thrustmaster TCA officer pack was delayed..yet again to the 13th November..that’s the second delay since I ordered it in June

I'm in the UK and got the same email yesterday.  However, I've just received another email from amazon.co.uk to say that the delivery date has been changed from November 13th to ...  October 23rd!  Fingers crossed!

Ross McDonagh
2 hours ago, Brad King said:

It might be worth noting I have had a delayed preorder with Microsoft once before years ago and they did something similar where I got a follow up email with some compensation about one month after the original promised date. I theorize it is just an algorithmic response based on the delay length but I’m trying to temper optimistic expectations at this point. 

The Microsoft customer service rep checked my account and order number and everything was in order on her end for a release tomorrow-most likely arriving to me in the next 3-5 biz days.   

I had wondered if this is based on the delay from the original release date of ~9/24 and the new release date of tomorrow.  

Do you remember what your email was for and if the item shipped as anticipated from Microsoft on the date it said on the website? 

Chris Frasure
36 minutes ago, Peter Hastings said:

I'm in the UK and got the same email yesterday.  However, I've just received another email from amazon.co.uk to say that the delivery date has been changed from November 13th to ...  October 23rd!  Fingers crossed!

Don’t hold your breath with Amazon. I ordered it day 1 from them and got an email last month saying that they canceled my order bc they couldn’t fulfill it. 

Peter Hastings
20 minutes ago, Chris Frasure said:

Don’t hold your breath with Amazon. I ordered it day 1 from them and got an email last month saying that they canceled my order bc they couldn’t fulfill it. 

I'm not going to!  The Thrustmaster shop continues to says availability on the 22nd, so I'll see what transpires tomorrow...

Brad King
52 minutes ago, Ross McDonagh said:
Do you remember what your email was for and if the item shipped as anticipated from Microsoft on the date it said on the website? 

Unfortunately the item was back ordered another month or so as I recall and at the time I received that email the ship date was still TBD. It was another sold by Microsoft on behalf of a vendor deal. I’m hoping that does not parallel this experience. Microsoft is still saying I should receive by Monday but no shipping info yet. When it ships I’ll check back in here. 

Thanks for sharing the info customer service gave you! 

• Like 1
Ross McDonagh
59 minutes ago, Brad King said:

Unfortunately the item was back ordered another month or so as I recall and at the time I received that email the ship date was still TBD. It was another sold by Microsoft on behalf of a vendor deal. I’m hoping that does not parallel this experience. Microsoft is still saying I should receive by Monday but no shipping info yet. When it ships I’ll check back in here. 

Thanks for sharing the info customer service gave you! 

Same thing for me-except they said between Monday and Wednesday.  Her EXACT quote was "I don't understand why you got that email, I can't see ANYTHING in here that shows a delay or anything on your order... But I'll update you via email and a phone call"

It was excellent customer service

Hendrik Herryjanto

Mine just arrived. Made my order through Lazada (a market place like Amazon in Asia) on Tuesday (20/10). Looking forward to try it.

IMG_20201022_123931.thumb.jpg.eb45cf8e7391f52d995458cc1852c90e.jpg

• Norman Blackburn changed the title to Thrustmaster Airbus Throttle