Konstantin

25. July 2000 - 20 Years on - How did you learn about the tragedy?

Konstantin

It is hard to believe how fast time flies, but it was today 20 years ago when Concorde experienced the darkest day of her life - you know what I am talking about.

I thought to open this thread to give you a chance to share when you were when the tragedy happened and how you learned about it. Since I started this topic, let me be the first one to tell.

I was a young teenager, and I was vacationing with my mom at my grandma's place in a tourist resort area. Me and the oldest son of her neighbor were working on his computer. Then my mom came in and told me that she had a phone conversation with my dad, and that he said that Concorde had crashed. "What?!" was my reaction - as was for most of you - and I couldn't believe that it happened. I was hungry for news, but the coverage was sparse, and I couldn't sleep that night. Grief took over, and I had a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the crash happened at a time when my interest in Concorde had reached an all-time high - thanks to Flight Simulator 2000!  This was utterly shocking and sad.

Feel free to tell us about your whereabouts back then.

Ramón Cutanda

I only fell in love with Concorde after visiting Le Bourget museum and seeing both aircrafts in real; and that happened in 2012. In the year 2000 I knew there was a plane called "Concorde" that could fly "supersonically" and that had a "especial nose" that would go down on landings and... that was about it. I don't have a clear memory of the exact moment when I heard the news back then. I do remember being shocked and sad, but because of my lack of knowledge about Concorde at the time, with the same feelings as for any other air plane crash. I do remember, however, the first time I saw the crash episode in Mayday: Air Crash Investigation. At that moment I already was in love with Concorde and I felt my heart sink very deeply. Firstly, for the victims, and secondly because Concorde's history is one of the most unfair in history. I still find it sad and hard to understand how one of the greatest technological achievements of the whole 20th Century never had the success she deserves both in the real and the simulation worlds.

Thank you for reminding us this tragic date. All the souls lost that day rest in peace.

Bests,

• Like 1

Vimal Anandharaman

I was only 4 years old at the point, so I dont rmb much. But as a young kid, I loved watching Seconds From Disasters and thats the first time I heard about the crash. You could say this was one of the few episodes that made me fall in love with the aviation industry in general ( yes its a bit morbid ) . Concorde-X is the one that truly made me like this plane! 

Ray Proudfoot

I was 49 and working for the Ministry of Defence. Can’t recall the exact circumstances about hearing of it at work but I did go on to play an arranged tennis match with colleagues. My mind was elsewhere. Seeing the video footage a day or so later brought home the full horror of the crash.

Three weeks earlier I had been at the Airport Pub at Manchester airport with Pete Dowson to see a BA Concorde arrive and depart. Shocking decision by the French to end flights but AF was never as successful as BA with charters. It could and should still be flying today.

Fraser Gale

This is not an anniversary I keep.  It could and should have been avoided, people were killed by negligence and a blase attitude (my opinion only of course).  

While I believe in remembering the people that lost their lives, I cannot bring myself to think about that day, even all these years later.  

AdrianSmith
12 hours ago, Fraser Gale said:

It could and should have been avoided, people were killed by negligence and a blase attitude (my opinion only of course).  

and, of course, a huge French reluctance to blame a Frenchman for anything!

Won't name names but criminal negligence was quite clear.

Fraser Gale
3 hours ago, AdrianSmith said:

and, of course, a huge French reluctance to blame a Frenchman for anything!

Won't name names but criminal negligence was quite clear.

Touché 

I've always wondered if the German authorities were involved in the legal proceedings, bearing in mind the majority of the passengers were from a town in Germany. 

To qualify my statement, one example was that BA modified the routing of the wiring on the main gear a few years before the accident and in the words of the captain that told me about it, "it was crucial later on in Paris".  The modification was recomended by the manufacturer but not mandated, and as AF wanted to spend as little money as possible, they chose not to embody the modification.