P3D V5 - External view performance

Alex Ridge

Alex Ridge

Hi all, 

I;ve seen numerous posts about performance increase, but i am getting considerably less in the external view? Now a lot less than VC.

Anyone else getting the same?

Specs signature. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexander Sigg

• Will Tearne

• Alex Ridge

• Khoa Nguyen

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Khoa Nguyen Thank you - we looked into this area and I think we've found and fixed the issue. 

Gents- I think this thread is giving conflicting / incorrect information and confuses sim versions. The OP asked about P3D v5, however there are some of you here who are reporting about P3Dv4.

@Andrew Wilson @Norman Blackburn @Lefteris Kalamaras @Markus Burkhard I think I found out why, the 2D 30 fps target refresh rate is the problem, by setting it to the min value at 5, outside fps i

Posted Images

Alex Ridge
10 hours ago, Nico Szegedi said:

Same for me, but there already is an ongoing thread about this issue

With all due respect, that is a different version and different simulator. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Christopher Bourke

I've made a thread over in general sim issues with the same problem, was getting 30+ FPS outside with the 320 at Munich before, come the PBR update and now its 17 or less! I get better fps in the VC! In what world do external views experience worse performance than inside the virtual cockpit, where most of the action is happening.

IMHO, PBR is just a gimmick to make reflections "look better" with the trade of a big performance hit that isn't even worth it, it actually leads me to question whether people test the updates and new aircraft on a lower end system in the first place.

Ramon De Valencia

I do have a high-end system and I also having worst FPS in the outside view. I have my sim locked at 30fps and it stays like that while I am in the cockpit, but as soon as I switch to external view my FPS drops to 23-24.

This is on P3D V5 and 320X

Alexander Petrenko

P3Dv4.5HF2

VC performance has increased a bit since last update but external view has dropped by 10-15 FPS comparing with the previous version.

GTX2080Ti

• Like 3
Christopher Bourke
6 minutes ago, Alexander Petrenko said:

P3Dv4.5HF2

VC performance has increased a bit since last update but external view has dropped by 10-15 FPS comparing with the previous version.

GTX2080Ti

Glad to know we're not the only ones experiencing issues here, surprised to hear that it's happening on a beefy system like yours!

Nico Szegedi
2 hours ago, Alex Ridge said:

With all due respect, that is a different version and different simulator. 

Sorry Alex, should’ve went to bed earlier yesterday:rolleyes:

Chris Frasure

I noticed this yesterday too. Outside views drop frames.  Also, Ive noticed that when using any external view, the AP will kick off too.

CF

Harald Huber

I am experiencing the same on v5, bad FPS outside but the VC is smooth as butter, can't complain, now it's a joy to fly without any single stuttering on the VC. Awesome work by FSLabs!

• Like 1
Will Tearne
4 hours ago, Harald Huber said:

I am experiencing the same on v5, bad FPS outside but the VC is smooth as butter, can't complain, now it's a joy to fly without any single stuttering on the VC. Awesome work by FSLabs!

I have the same - smooth as hell in the VC but quite laggy outside. At least one set of views is smooth rather than both of them being laggy!

• Like 2
Rob Carlassara

Big time here too even with a top-end system.

VC FPS roughly the same but wing/external view less... P3D 4.5 HF3

Back to the old version all good. Sometimes newer is not necessarily better . I can live without PBR ( actually I feel it looks better). At least if I want PBR I can fire up my A321

Angelos Panou

I don't neccesarily have the greatest system, GTX1080, Ryzen 5 1600, noticing this too. 30FPS in the VC, 15-20 in the exterior

Matthias Henschel

PBR is in place.

Try to reduce Dynamic reflections to Medium  or low   and use MSAA iso SSAA for better FPS if your GPU cant handle it ?

Those who realized a significant drop in fps outside: did you have tomatoshade running BEFORE ? if not, you may now note the great effects of PBR, which you might have missed without tomatoshade's reflections before.

...and: disable enhanced atmospherics in v5---- this is constantly killing my fps in good scenery environments too.

CHENLIAO

Hi Guys, 

I met this problem at last version's A321.  The extrnal view is very terrible. So I try to find a way to solve it. My 319 and 320 can run 60 fps whole flight,  the 321 only around 30. It is quite interesting that I changed a setting of display section,  my 320 and 319 's external view drop to around 40.But after I set it back,  319 and 320 external back to normal whole flight 60fps. So I think you can try. 

The Display section

The texture filtering- try to use Anisotropic 8×. I don't know if it work for new version. 

And very important thing is that clean install the new version bus and p3d.  Not only the root file,  but also the related files in your diskC. I deleted all the document of the last version's bus and p3d. Then reinstall v5 HF2 and Bus. 

For me the new bus work very perfectly fps in my end. The vc keep 50-60 stable,  the extrnal 60fps whole flight like no pbr version. 

Really appreciate for their hard work. 

• Like 1
Stefan Vollstedt
12 minutes ago, Gregory Verba said:

Guys, try to disable Mipmap VC Panels under display section.

Yep can confirm that did the trick. Even after switching between VC and external view the framedrop disappears :-)

But the screens in the VC are now a little bit blurry :-(

Michael Petersen

Will try the mipmap VC thing as i also see less FPS outside than in 4.5HF3. 

Michael Moe

Michael Petersen
8 hours ago, CHENLIAO said:

Hi Guys, 

I met this problem at last version's A321.  The extrnal view is very terrible. So I try to find a way to solve it. My 319 and 320 can run 60 fps whole flight,  the 321 only around 30. It is quite interesting that I changed a setting of display section,  my 320 and 319 's external view drop to around 40.But after I set it back,  319 and 320 external back to normal whole flight 60fps. So I think you can try. 

The Display section

The texture filtering- try to use Anisotropic 8×. I don't know if it work for new version. 

And very important thing is that clean install the new version bus and p3d.  Not only the root file,  but also the related files in your diskC. I deleted all the document of the last version's bus and p3d. Then reinstall v5 HF2 and Bus. 

For me the new bus work very perfectly fps in my end. The vc keep 50-60 stable,  the extrnal 60fps whole flight like no pbr version. 

Really appreciate for their hard work. 

Thanks will try, are you running 4K/4096x4096 textures or 1080P?

My GTX1080TI is about 40-50% in 4K@25HZ

Michael Moe

CHENLIAO
9 minutes ago, Michael Petersen said:

Thanks will try, are you running 4K/4096x4096 textures or 1080P?

My GTX1080TI is about 40-50% in 4K@25HZ

Michael Moe

I run it under 1080p. I think it is enough for me.

Lefteris Kalamaras

Gents-

I think this thread is giving conflicting / incorrect information and confuses sim versions. The OP asked about P3D v5, however there are some of you here who are reporting about P3Dv4.

Let's keep the original topic and ensure that we can have a common ground to work from, to identify issues, if any.

To begin:

This thread will be for P3D v5 - start a different thread for P3D v4 or find one that's suitable, but not here.

0) Delete your Prepar3D.cfg (keep a backup copy for safekeeping just in case)

1) Do not lock frames inside the sim - it doesn't work correctly (never has) - instead, lock them in your NVidia Control Panel and allow the sim to run with unlocked.

2) Disable message text (the green band of text showing at the top when a message arrives) - it's an LM bug that kills performance.

3) Disable mipmap VC option- it will allow for crisper / easier to read text inside the VC.

Let's take it from here.

PS. I am making this thread sticky so it can be at the top and easily found.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Lefteris Kalamaras pinned this topic
Stefan Vollstedt

I think the combination of locking FPS again with NVIDIA insepctor and the MipMap thing solved the problem with me.

I thought liocking inside would work now with v5 as with other planes I didnt have any problems.

But now i can even get 35FPS stable at LOWW where before with locking inside the sim the FPS were about 25-28. :-) :wub:

With MipMap Off the text on the PFD/MFDs etc. is a little bit blurry when you set the zoom < 1 but I think I can get comfortable with that.

phil highton

i have no issues inside or outside in v5 ? its just fine for me at 1080p

chaseplane, v sync on , triple buffer on ,frames unlimited in sim, nvidia control panel half refresh rate ( 60hz monitor) triple buffer, x4 msaa x16 filtering, let me know if you want more settings 

turning off mipmap made things worse for me so its back on 

PS: ive got skyforce ( not official) and envshade running as well 

Will Tearne
2 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Gents-

I think this thread is giving conflicting / incorrect information and confuses sim versions. The OP asked about P3D v5, however there are some of you here who are reporting about P3Dv4.

Let's keep the original topic and ensure that we can have a common ground to work from, to identify issues, if any.

To begin:

This thread will be for P3D v5 - start a different thread for P3D v4 or find one that's suitable, but not here.

1) Do not lock frames inside the sim - it doesn't work correctly (never has) - instead, lock them in your NVidia Control Panel and allow the sim to run with unlocked.

2) Disable message text (the green band of text showing at the top when a message arrives) - it's an LM bug that kills performance.

3) Disable mipmap VC option- it will allow for crisper / easier to read text inside the VC.

Let's take it from here.

The disabling of the Minimap VC option has worked wonders - performs superbly outside now. Displays aren't as crisp though. Is there a way to fix that or is it down to PBR implementation which will be improved in a later update?

Rob Bates

Can i check how many of you are using ActiveSky? My performance suffered when in outside view (wing views) on dep from EGLL yesterday, but is otherwise buttery smooth. I had quite a few cloud layers in at the time. I cleared the weather and it stopped stuttering, but started again once ASP3D had reloaded in the weather.

I also use ASCA. Textures set to modest 1024 DXT5 formats.

phil highton

are you using true sky inv5 , cos i got really bad stutters after a few hours flying longhaul, so i now have that turned off ( its still in beta anyway) , and use skyforce (unofficially) with ASP3D beta 6 no asca i use envshade until enviroforce gets updated

Charlie Cobb

can confirm turning of mipmap vc panels made my external view silky smooth, but at the cost of the displays looking funky

- also just to state i dont have this issue with any other aircraft at the moment. seems to be an fsl a320 issue for me

Charlie Cobb

i also only start seeing the issue when above a certain altitude, on the ground / low above the ground there is no performance issue externally

CHENLIAO
5 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Gents-

To begin:

Let's take it from here.

Thanks so much Lefteris and Fsl team's hard work. Really hope that the upcoming 321 and 319 of P3d v5 will also bring the amazing performance for us.

Regards

Michael Petersen

Disabling Mipmap VC and and a fresh P3D.cfg did it for me with a 20% FPS boost inside and out (P3dv5)

Thanks

Michael Moe

• Thanks 1
Alexander Sigg
6 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Disabling Mipmap in the VC increases my FPS on the outside drastically but to be honest it just looks bad now. For now I can not live with out Mipmap in the VC. 

hopefully FSL can figure something out to solve this. 

I will show a quick comparison on my end. 

First with Mipmap, Second without 

2020-7-2_16-9-57-723.thumb.jpg.888cb730c48627ce05c7b28272eb05f8.jpg2020-7-2_16-9-49-237.thumb.jpg.115df466feb4afcec0eccf1d3b4f6837.jpg

Alexander Sigg
3 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

rebuild your p3d cfg.

For what reason? Has nothing to do with this issue. But never the less did that already. Maybe for you it doesnt look that bad with 4k or 8Saa filtering but for 1080p with 8msaa it just looks horrible...

Koen Meier
Just now, Alexander Sigg said:

For what reason? Has nothing to do with this issue! But never the less did that already. Maybe for you it doesnt look that bad with 4k or 8Saa filtering but for 1080p with 8msaa it just looks horrible...

i am runnning 1080p with 4*msaa.

Alexander Sigg
Just now, Koen Meier said:

i am runnning 1080p with 4*msaa.

and without Mipmap ? And you think it looks good?

Koen Meier
Just now, Alexander Sigg said:

and without Mipmap ? And you think it looks good?

now back on with mipmaps but a rebuild of the cfg has helped a bit in crispyness.

on a big screen and with more pixels it might look better without indeed.

i can understand your view now.

• Like 1
Alexander Sigg
2 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

now back on with mipmaps but a rebuild of the cfg has helped a bit in crispyness.

on a big screen and with more pixels it might look better without indeed.

i can understand your view now.

Oh well. For now I have to pass on 20-30 Fps on the outside. Maybe a developer could comment on if they want to fix this or if it is now mandatory to have Mipmap off? @Andrew Wilson  @Lefteris Kalamaras

Will Tearne
3 minutes ago, Alexander Sigg said:

Oh well. For now I have to pass on 20-30 Fps on the outside. Maybe a developer could comment on if they want to fix this or if it is now mandatory to have Mipmap off? @Andrew Wilson  @Lefteris Kalamaras

I'm just staying in the cockpit for the whole flight because the outside view performance is just not good at all. In P3D v4.5 I never had this issue with the A321 when they implemented the PBR for it, so it's either something to do with P3D v5, or something to do with the PBR implementation in the A320. One thing I have noticed is that without Mipmaps, the flight information does not stay current on the instruments when in outside views. Having Mipmaps on, the flight information does stay current when in outside views. Just an observation that I had so it might have something to do with it.

Alex Pugh

Im surprised so many people have mip maps on. They caused stutters in v4 and in both versions they make cockpit displays more blurry.

Will Tearne
Just now, Alex Pugh said:

Im surprised so many people have mip maps on. They caused stutters in v4 and in both versions they make cockpit displays more blurry.

Sharpens the displays for me :unsure:

Alexander Sigg
2 minutes ago, Will Tearne said:

Sharpens the displays for me :unsure:

For me too. Without Mipmaps I can’t read the altitude for example and all numbers and stuff have this shimmering when moving the view in the VC. 

Alex Ridge
7 hours ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Gents-

To begin:

Let's take it from here.

Thanks for making this a sticky and redirecting the thread Lefteris.

Like many , i will try the mipmap option, but in the past this has made the displays blurry.

Will report back. 

Stefan Vollstedt

Yes the displays are without MipMap quite sharp so with a low zoom level (I use 0.5 in the VC) they will get a little blurry. But yeah that works with the FPS drop and finally I can enjoy the bird fully :-)