Luca vom Bruch

P3D V5 vs V4

Luca vom Bruch

Anyone else think V5 is game changing levels of improvement?

Granted I was on XP11 for quite a while now, but I must say V5 looks much better than V4 and while perfomance is improved as well.

Maybe it just a big difference for me because I never used after market shaders and now it looks like the default HDR/shaders makes everything much more vibrant.

especially the cockpit atmosphere in FSLA320 at night is amazing.

David Norfolk

V5 with HF2 i'd say is worth the switch, it's way better on performance & will get supported longer in the future  

Marvin Toepfer

I like the v5 as well. But I have to admit that there are still problems with the sim, especially the lighting. The panel of the 320 is way too dark in some situations (but it’s not the fault of FSL).

Performance is much better than v4.

Wanthuyr Filho

What about the video memory issues? Are they solved?

Also, what about the thunderstorm clouds? How well are they depicted, I mean, visually?

Koen Meier
3 minutes ago, Wanthuyr Filho said:

What about the video memory issues? Are they solved?

Also, what about the thunderstorm clouds? How well are they depicted, I mean, visually?

v5 uses dx12 so it now uses more of the vram. thunderstorms are currently only working in none enhanced atmospehric mode. and the look the same as v4.

• Thanks 1

Robert Sutherland

Because of DX12 and the focused use of VRAM, you have to do a little more to find the sweet spot for the sim. In my case, on an i5 6600K machine with a GTX1070, to get a smooth 30fps at most of the larger addon airports, I needed to reduce my texture size to medium (1024x1024) and then adjust the rest of the settings accordingly. I'm still testing gradual changes but I'm very happy with the results -- it totally outperforms v4.5. 

• Thanks 2

Mathias Memmler

I agree to the above mentioned. Yesterday evening a short flight with the bus from EDDF to LSZH. VRAM was not an issue. Around 4.1 out of theoretically 7.1GB with a GTX 2080 and 8GB. with enhanced athmospheric on. For me the performance is much better than in V4.5, but I have to admit that I use a texture resolution of 1024. With higher resolution I do have significant higher use of VRAM. I am very happy with this.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J730F mit Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Wanthuyr Filho

I'm used to using 4096 for a long time now, not sure if it will look good in my case. Will probably stick with v4.5 for a while longer.

Koen Meier

using 2k textures and settings comparable to v4 and no enahnced atmospehrics. seeing 3gb of used vram out of 7,1gb at places that are none pbr. 4gb of vram at big pbr airports.

Robert Sutherland

There are some airports, such as those made by LatinVFR, which are just VRAM nightmares. I can't even push back from the gate at KMIA without a VRAM crash. 

I was using 2048 textures and I really don't see that big a difference with 1024. As I said, it's all about finding a sweet spot. It looks like you've got a decent graphics card so you should be okay if you make the switch. 

Another helpful tip is to limit framerates. I have them limited to 30FPS and that helps to control the VRAM, too. At least in my experience. 

Vladimír Plutko

My performance at night: P3Dv4 25FPS and P3DV5 - 45 -50 FPS, this is amazing..... I use, AS, AZCA, ENVI, ORBX global, Vector, LC and much  other addon scennery... this amazing...:wub:

Felix Grünewald

I recently switched to v5 and have to say I am very impressed!

Never imagined that it would run so smooth. The Bus runs extremely well on my System specs. 

On v4 I had real bad performance even on my i7 8700k OC to 5.0 GHz and my 2080ti. While I was using Mega Airport EDDF together with Orbx EU German north/south  I was unable to land the Fslabs Bus due to the amount of stuttering and bad fps. Now I am running it with very good results.

First of all I was really septic to switch to v5 but DX12 might be a little game changer at least for my hardware.

Looking Forward to how far the devs can push these great aircraft masterpieces to its limits :D

Danny Moore

I'll eventually move over to v5 once it reaches 5.1 status. By then the remaining programs should be compatible and the 3080ti series should be out. For now I'm quite happy running P3Dv4.5H2. For me my 8086k@5.1Ghz on a 1080ti pushing a 4K@30hz has been perfect. I don't run into the performance or stutter issues in v4 that some of you experience in the FSLabs. I can fly the labs into KMIA, KLAX, EDDF, etc and have smooth performance. I haven't had a CTD in over a year and I run most of my sliders one click over from the right except for autogen and building which I run at medium. My framerates remain at 30 FPS 99.9% of the time except in certain DL situations such as pulling into a gate at night but this is solved when I use iniBuilds DL mods. I run 4096 textures, Orbx LC, Mesh, and over 100+ payware airports. The trick for me is knowing my hardwares sweet spot to obtain smoothness. While I enjoy reading the v5 reports, videos and screen shots, it's just not enough of a motivator just yet for me to abandon what is probably my smoothest running sim install since I've been using P3D. 

Stefan Vollstedt

Is there a thing that reduces VRAM?

Currently I'm struggling, getting about 6.1 to 6.3GB fro 7.1GB (RTX2070 super). But yeah most of the times the game crashed, probably because of short peaks over 7.1GB.

Turning of Truesky and I'm currently at about 5GB but yeah that sucks because TS really looks quite nice! :-)

Cannot fly, however the FSLabs bus runs so amazing on v5! 35FPS steady in nearly all situations. Now VRAM is the problem..... :ph34r::angry:

Koen Meier
Just now, Stefan Vollstedt said:

Is there a thing that reduces VRAM?

Currently I'm struggling, getting about 6.1 to 6.3GB fro 7.1GB (RTX2070 super). But yeah most of the times the game crashed, probably because of short peaks over 7.1GB.

Turning of Truesky and I'm currently at about 5GB but yeah that sucks because TS really looks quite nice! :-)

Cannot fly, however the FSLabs bus runs so amazing on v5! 35FPS steady in nearly all situations. Now VRAM is the problem..... :ph34r::angry:

true sky eats vram and so is 4k textures. PBR also eats vram to a degree but then comes optimization at play from the dev. older none pbr airports will run low on vram. with my specs i am seeing 3gb or so at simwings hetrow and around 4gb at flytampa copenhagen. latinvfr stuff eats a lot of vram. mainly their newer products.

• Like 1

Stefan Vollstedt

Ok thanks changed from 4096 to 2048 textures, that saved 1GB...ouch.
Now I'm at 5.2GB from 7.1GB at the gate with GSX :-) Hopefully it runs more stable now. I'll give it a try.

Koen Meier
Just now, Stefan Vollstedt said:

Ok thanks changed from 4096 to 2048 textures, that saved 1GB...ouch.
Now I'm at 5.2GB from 7.1GB at the gate with GSX :-) Hopefully it runs more stable now. I'll give it a try.

that should give you more breathing room with high end airports for sure.

Stefan Vollstedt

Yep so now I was able to start a flight from GAYA LOWW. As GSX started boarding the VRAM usage increased to 5.9GB but no CTD. Currently on the way to Olbia with super smooth FPS, thats very superb how v5 performs. Hopefully TrueSky will get updates in the future so thats no beta and uses less VRAM.

Markus Burkhard
1 hour ago, Stefan Vollstedt said:

Yep so now I was able to start a flight from GAYA LOWW. As GSX started boarding the VRAM usage increased to 5.9GB but no CTD. Currently on the way to Olbia with super smooth FPS, thats very superb how v5 performs. Hopefully TrueSky will get updates in the future so thats no beta and uses less VRAM.

You need to keep an eye on which scenery developer has better optimised scenery regarding VRAM. Many in our testing team use 8GB cards, and they only ever get CTDs when flying to a poorly optimised airport. So whenever you report and compare VRAM usage, you need to always specify which airport is used and if it involves ORBX TrueEarth or not. That way you can find out which airports work well by comparing with others, and therefore avoid getting any CTDs.

• Like 2