Need help before buying P3D v5

Federico Angelino

Federico Angelino

Hello everyone.

I’ve decided to move from P3D v4.5 HF3 to P3D v5 now that HF2 is out and our beloved A320 has been released.

But, before buying, I also need your help to understand if P3D v5 will work with my system.

Let’s begin saying that P3D v4.5 HF3 is working smoothly, all sliders set to middle, ASP3D, ORBX base and EuropeLC, at airports like Aerosoft EGLL with FSLABS A320 I’m running at 28 to 34 FPS, airborne is pretty much the same (unlimited FPS), with an average CPU load of 60% and GPU load of 40%, RAM memory load of 9 to 10 GB out of 16.

My system specs are:
Dell G5 15 5587 Laptop
Intel i7-8750H 2,20GHz 6-core, 9MB cache up to 4,1GHz w/ Turbo Boost
16GB RAM (2x8 DDR4 2666MHz
Intel UHD graphics 630
NVIDIA GTX 1060 with Max-Q design 6GB GDDR5

I know that minimum requirement says 3,0 GHz but with turbo boost will I handle it?
Assume using P3D V5 with the same settings as mine now with the same addons, will I still have decent performance? 
Has anyone pretty much the same rig as mine?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Cheers,
Federico

Norman Blackburn

Hi Federico

P3D has a fantastic returns policy.  Why not buy v5 and try it out.  If it doesn’t work out for you then simply ask for a refund inside 2 weeks.

• Like 1
Federico Angelino
15 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Federico

P3D has a fantastic returns policy.  Why not buy v5 and try it out.  If it doesn’t work out for you then simply ask for a refund inside 2 weeks.

Touché @Norman Blackburn;)

Will give it a go and see! Thanks for your kind answer.

• Thanks 1
Michael Briner

Hey Federico

I'd say you get in trouble with your NVIDIA GTX 1060 concerning possible VRAM issues as it has only 6GB of memory available. I run on a Nvidia 2080 with 8GB and I already had some VRAM knock-downs. But as Norman said, try it out and go for a possible refund.

Cheers, Michael

Federico Angelino

Can confirm 6GB. Reading around there are few using the 1060 (obviously all sliders left side), my concern was on the CPU.

On the other hand I was thinking on buying a new rig but with rumors on upcoming NVDIA 30xx or how will they call them I think it’s worth a wait.

I’ll try on my rig since everyone seems to experience an incredible increase of performance with v5. But I also know that if now I’m running with all sliders on the middle and around 28/34 FPS on average, I’ll have to lower settings a little bit more (and do a windows clean install first :P).

Norman Blackburn

I had until recently a 2060RTX and it performed quite well.  I just took care of settings so that VRAM wasnt an issue.  I used it at KMIA LEAL & EGNM with the 320 in v5.

phil highton

Norman in all senerity now because I trust your judgement, am a good with my trusty old 1080ti for the next year or so, with all this fancy new pbr ( whatever that is?) and high brow graphics  tech talk or should I get the soon to be released 3000 series gpu, I sit looking at my 1080ti like a dog owner who's dog is soon going to be on its way out, and it's heartbreaking I just need to some reassurence? 

Norman Blackburn

@phil highton

A few months ago my trusty old card died and I needed something quick as we were quite busy in testing but I couldnt stretch to anything "fancy" so got a 2060RTX - the RTX part so my son could enjoy some new minecraft thing.  I replaced the 2060 a few weeks ago with a 2080ti because I wanted to see v5 in its full beauty but that wasn't after trawling around for a 1080ti which I could see happily being more than enough for many months to come.

• Like 1
phil highton

Hope so my wife wants the bedroom revamped :huh: , thanks norm for that reply 

Ps : Minecraft??

B)

19 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

I had until recently a 2060RTX and it performed quite well.  I just took care of settings so that VRAM wasnt an issue.  I used it at KMIA LEAL & EGNM with the 320 in v5.

I have that card. Good to know you had it running successfully. Thanks also for reminding us of the return policy for p3d. So there is no reason not to try it. 

Norman Blackburn
15 minutes ago, phil highton said:

Ps : Minecraft??

Some lego looking game which apparently is super popular :D 

Federico Angelino
2 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Music to my ears @Norman Blackburn

As soon as I’ll have the time to sit relax (luckily after this terrible pandemic situation work is keeping me busy again) and install P3D v5 I’ll report back.

Joni Tikka

I've thinking to buy P3dv5 but first I have to upgrade my well served msi gtx970 to new gpu.. I have lot of addons (orbx, fsdt, flytampa, flightbeam etc). "Ti" -cards are bit too expensive to me but how about RTX 2070 (or 2080) SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GT? There's hundreds of euros gap between ti's and supers.. my specs are..

i7-4790K oc to 4,5
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 2 x 8 GB (DDR3, 1866 Mhz, CL10)
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4G Twin Frozr
2 x 60 Crucial BX100 500 GB SSD 
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI (ATX, LGA 1150).

Joni

Dan Parkin

I'm running a 2080S in v5. Performance is very good and the only place I have to do some vRAM balancing is at LHR using AS EGLL and TEGB.

Marco Scharfschwerdt
On 6/30/2020 at 10:31 PM, Federico Angelino said:

Hello everyone.

I’ve decided to move from P3D v4.5 HF3 to P3D v5 now that HF2 is out and our beloved A320 has been released.

But, before buying, I also need your help to understand if P3D v5 will work with my system.

Let’s begin saying that P3D v4.5 HF3 is working smoothly, all sliders set to middle, ASP3D, ORBX base and EuropeLC, at airports like Aerosoft EGLL with FSLABS A320 I’m running at 28 to 34 FPS, airborne is pretty much the same (unlimited FPS), with an average CPU load of 60% and GPU load of 40%, RAM memory load of 9 to 10 GB out of 16.

My system specs are:
Dell G5 15 5587 Laptop
Intel i7-8750H 2,20GHz 6-core, 9MB cache up to 4,1GHz w/ Turbo Boost
16GB RAM (2x8 DDR4 2666MHz
Intel UHD graphics 630
NVIDIA GTX 1060 with Max-Q design 6GB GDDR5

I know that minimum requirement says 3,0 GHz but with turbo boost will I handle it?
Assume using P3D V5 with the same settings as mine now with the same addons, will I still have decent performance? 
Has anyone pretty much the same rig as mine?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

Cheers,
Federico

Hi

Im using the same specs and getting around 25 fps at aerosoft eddk, in the air around 35 fps with almost max settings. Performance is verry good, give it a try

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Federico Angelino
On 7/1/2020 at 12:55 AM, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Federico

So..after a few flights I can share my impressions on my little old rig:

1st impression: amazing

2nd impression: stunning

3rd impression: absolutely awesome :D

Maintaining the same settings of v4 (all sliders middle position), ORBX base and openLC, ASP3D (Truesky off) at Aerosoft EGLL with my beloved A320 I gained 10/12 FPS with an average GPU usage of 2.8/3.1 GB out of 5.2. Both in day or night clear skies or rainy. Incredible.....I’m really impressed.

Final consideration: definitely NO REFUND for me!

• Thanks 2
Filip Nowak

on 4K resolution got up to 8GB VRAM done. P3Dv5 works better, I deleted today P3D4.5. 

2 days of cleaning and reinstalling copying sceneries which were 5.0 compatible, ASX beta 7 for P3Dv5, new FS Real Time version, but it was worth and today bought preorder on MSFS2020...

Anyway still not optimized as good as it should be as I had to put AffinityMask limits in v5 as my i9-9900K@5.1Ghz went crazy on all 16 threads ...