Ray Proudfoot

John Hutchinson podcast - you must listen

Fraser Gale

I think JH must have the record for the most interviews of all the Concorde crew by now, and rightly so, he did work for the BBC back in the day after all. 

Fraser Gale

I did think about not listening purely because I don't like being told "I must" though....

Ray Proudfoot
33 minutes ago, Fraser Gale said:

I did think about not listening purely because I don't like being told "I must" though....

I don't recommend lightly. The story about Elvis Costello will make you laugh and the one about the lady who was United's first passenger will drop your jaw. 1h 30m if you're interested. Make a brew or something stronger! :D

Fraser Gale
3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don't recommend lightly. The story about Elvis Costello will make you laugh and the one about the lady who was United's first passenger will drop your jaw. 1h 30m if you're interested. Make a brew or something stronger! :D

I've heard this one before I think and as I've had his book since the week it came out, I knew about the Costello story.   He definitely commands ultimate respect as far as I'm concerned and must be one of the most experienced pilots having only stopped flying a couple of years ago, after doing aerobatics in a Spitfire after his 80th birthday. 

We'll never see his like again.  Nobody gets the experience on aircraft that required such knowledge and thinking to fly, that were easier to crash than to fly in some cases, and on so many types in a career.  It doesn't happen the same now. 

He's one I'd like to have a chat with but sadly, time and now circumstance I fear are against it.  Terry Henderson (one of the captains I flew with at Brooklands) even said I'd have a great time talking to John. 

Ray Proudfoot

I would have been surprised if you hadn’t heard it. The Costello story was very funny. Imagine the look on his mother’s face when she watched the video! :D

Still very sharp mentally given his age. I look forward to more of his podcasts.

Fraser Gale
12 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I would have been surprised if you hadn’t heard it. The Costello story was very funny. Imagine the look on his mother’s face when she watched the video! :D

Still very sharp mentally given his age. I look forward to more of his podcasts.

There are at least 5 out there that I know of, some of which I've shared on here before I'm sure. 

For me the funny thing about the Costello story is the thought of this person who many think is some sort of music God (not me as I don't know his work, and I'm a musician...) who turns out to be just a human like the rest of us, and I have a feeling that's what J.H. found endearing too.  Concorde could reduce the most high and mighty to ground level rather quickly.  I should also say, that having played with some relatively high profile musicians in the past, the best ones are always the most down to earth.  The ones that are full of themselves are usually never as good as the public hype would have you believe.  Sadly, Joe public tend to believe publicity and not have the knowledge to understand this....

Ray Proudfoot

Costello said to Hutchinson I think my music is crap but people buy it anyway. His reactions on seeing the sunrise make him no different to the rest of us although his dialogue on the video does put him into a small club.