PC upgrade advice

leonchike

With P3D V5 and Microsoft 2020 on the horizon, I’m thinking about upgrading my CPU/Motherboard from the 6700K to 10700K.

I currently have the following components in my setup:
GTX 2080ti
36GB Ram
4K Display

P3D has been fine but has been definitely struggling with the FSLabs.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Again, if you want to upgrade, the best way is to get the best system you can afford.   My system is less than yours, except for CPU, and I run v5 without much problem.

Ray Proudfoot

@leonchike, 36Gb RAM??? 32Gb surely?

Your system is not very well balanced. State of the art graphics card paired with a moderate processor.

You'll need to swap the mobo for the latest versions using the Z390 chipset. Problem doing that is OS may not continue to be registered to you if it’s an OEM version. You’ll need to check with a Microsoft. I’ll assume you have Windows 10.

Depending how old your memory is that might benefit from an update too but start with the mobo.

Oh whoops, sorry yes 32GB.

Yes, unfortunately a new CPU in this case means a new motherboard as well. I do agree with your sentiment about the unbalanced PC, I feel like I've reached the end of the line with my current CPU even after overclocking. At this point, I'm debating if I should save myself from a new motherboard and just go with the 9700K vs investing in a new motherboard and the 10700K to help future proof myself.

I'm not sure how my copy of windows is configured, I hope it doesn't mean a new purchase - I'll be sure to contact Microsoft.

Ray Proudfoot

@leonchike, what chipset does your current mobo have? Depending on that you could just swap out the CPU for the fastest available. That would not trigger the OS into thinking it was a new PC.

Remember the GPU is just as important as the CPU and lowering a few settings in P3D is the equivalent of buying a faster processor. According to reports v5 boosts fps by quite a degree over v4.

Peter Hastings

Is it worth thinking a bit forward?

Intel are ahead in single core gaming, whereas AMD are (arguably) ahead in multicore tasks and value for money.

Some alpha FS2020 testers have said that the AMD 3900X performs pretty well with FS2020.  Some AMD motherboards (like X570 or the new B550) have forward compatability (but check!), 

Would each future generation Intel chip need a new motherboard?

Sabine Meier
1 minute ago, Peter Hastings said:

Is it worth thinking a bit forward?

Intel are ahead in single core gaming, whereas AMD are (arguably) ahead in multicore tasks and value for money.

Some alpha FS2020 testers have said that the AMD 3900X performs pretty well with FS2020.  Some AMD motherboards (like X570 or the new B550) have forward compatability (but check!), 

Would each future generation Intel chip need a new motherboard?

Intel usually has two generations per chipset but an older z390 for example which is used for the 8th/9th gen cpu series probably needs a bios update to work with the 9th gen one.