Jump to content
Derek McBride

Monitor choices

Recommended Posts

Derek McBride

I'm a restarter new after sveral years and am now in a position to upgrade all my bits or stick with them if they will still  make the grade.

First off is the new monitor set up which then dictates the size and design if the new desk.

So, what is the preferred set-up.

2 or 3 flat screen monitors.  This seems to be the set-up of choice amongst Simmers

OR

1 curved screen 49" and 180cm length Samsung/Phillips/Dell type.

In both respects, should I be tempted by high response times as per a real gamer or just meet the basic requirements of a Fight Simm enthusiast

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier

I use two monitors as I can use one for the sim and others for programs like vpilot. My dell is quite old by now and is an ips panel with normal ips response times when it came out.

i know some use monitors with refresh rate set at 30hz and lock the frames at 30fps and they combine it with 4k to reduce AA setting. Unless you do games like cs go or valorant which benefit high fps/high refresh rate and low response times. I don’t see any use going to with it myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Matt Richards

I think it comes down to personal choice. I've had a 49" super ultra widescreen for over a year and I'd never swap back. I started with an Asus and then swapped to the Samsung C49RG90. You need a good sized desk to sit back far enough to make full use of the immersion. When using TrackIR and flying VFR or using DCS, it's just amazing; I know some prefer using VR, but it's just not my thing. I run a lot of my settings maxed out or high, with the frames locked via 1/4 v-sync. This works perfectly on my system. I use my laptop and ipad for all other things.

I use 6 different simulators and it works great on all of them. When doing document work, its great to have several things open, plus you can have 3 different computers/laptops connected to the monitor if so needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Antti Salo

Yeah, have to agree with Matt! I have also had the same 49” UW for about a month now, coming from a 4K TV and I can’t imagine ever going back.

There is a bit of a tradeoff though: More horizontal pixels does in this case mean less vertical pixels, so from a scientific standpoint you could argue that screen area is ”going to waste”, as you can’t see for example the lower ECAM without panning the view, but instead you do see ”useless” stuff like the window post and the other pilot’s displays, but I’m OK with that and my god does flying feel different now... Especially visual/hand flying is a totally different experience. Seeing the world in your peripheral vision gives a nice 3-dimensional feel and gives a much better sense of speed. Flying through clouds and even things like taxiing are just incredibly immersive now.

And it is also really handy for other stuff than simming. I’ve used multi-monitor setups at work for years (Currently have 6.), but even for simple things like browser windows and document handling this thing is just so much better and natural feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Matt Richards
41 minutes ago, Antti Salo said:

Yeah, have to agree with Matt! I have also had the same 49” UW for about a month now, coming from a 4K TV and I can’t imagine ever going back.

There is a bit of a tradeoff though: More horizontal pixels does in this case mean less vertical pixels, so from a scientific standpoint you could argue that screen area is ”going to waste”, as you can’t see for example the lower ECAM without panning the view, but instead you do see ”useless” stuff like the window post and the other pilot’s displays, but I’m OK with that and my god does flying feel different now... Especially visual/hand flying is a totally different experience. Seeing the world in your peripheral vision gives a nice 3-dimensional feel and gives a much better sense of speed. Flying through clouds and even things like taxiing are just incredibly immersive now.

And it is also really handy for other stuff than simming. I’ve used multi-monitor setups at work for years (Currently have 6.), but even for simple things like browser windows and document handling this thing is just so much better and natural feeling.

I know what you mean about the lower ECAM, but it's a good trade off. I can position my seating view so that my zoom is 1.00 and I can see the whole FCU as well as the F/Os ND and all/partial PFD. This is useful for having terrain/weather and approach/map on different ND's. I do all different types of flying in different aircraft/helicopters and the difference of having such great peripheral vision during maneuvers or VFR flying is amazing. For me, it's great for replicating or practicing real life flying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Derek McBride

Many, many. thanks to those who were so swift in answering my question.  Is it Ok to go a bit further with this topic.

a) it is definitely a go for the 49" curved screen, but now I'd like to hear what your views are on the merits of a Samsung 1800R and the LG/Dell spec of 3800R.  Does that raise the question of how far back from the screen you should/do sit and which is better for Flight Sim as opposed to the gamers' preferences?

b). I cannot tell you how excited I have become since I took up the reins again with Flight Sim.  In my former FS days,  Forums like this were always so helpful and friendly and I see they haven't changed in that respect.

I'm afraid that I am about to become a  bit of a nuisance on these pages in the near future,

Thank you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Matt Richards

1800 has a tighter radius, so the curve is more pronounced. This is a common radius, where as the 3800r is shallower. I've not seen a 3800 49" screen, so can't comment on how much of a difference it has to my Samsung. 

The depth of my desk to the wall is 610mm, and the monitor is mounted to the wall. From how I sit, the distance from my eye to the screen is approx 850mm. For me that gives the best view of the monitor without inducing any eye strain. I use 4 different flight sims and two other simulations, and I've had no issues. Even in racing or conflict sims I have no issues, if anything it makes them more immersive.

I have attached a pic to show the comparison from my old 27", to how it can look on a 49"

27 vs 49 A320.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Derek McBride

Thanks Matt, I'll bear all that In mind

Share this post


Link to post
Dave Taylor

Blackbox711, your expert advice needed here please?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Antti Salo

Oh, and one thing I do have to mention... The scaling of 2D windows (popups) doesn't quite work, which is a bit of a nuisance. You can of course resize them manually, but you have to do it again every time you restart the sim. Anyone maybe have a workaround for this? Same thing in V5 with another addon.

Capture3.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Ray Proudfoot

@Derek McBride, you don’t say what CPU and GPU you’ll be buying. That is critical to how well your system will work. I’m sure you know that. What are you planning on getting?

Have you ruled out a 4K display? A32” 4K monitor gives brilliant results in P3D. You don’t need high refresh rates on a monitor. Mine is capable of 30Hz and that gives me the smoothest sim possible. So think about a 16:9 4K display. The sharpness is incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Carl Avari-Cooper

I too use a 4K TV display, however mine is 65”. I sit about 30” from it and it gives me a life sized PFD/ND and VC environs. I’m not sure I’d like a smaller display as I’ve been using a 65” first in 1080p and then in 4K. The only advantage to the ultra wides I see is better peripheral cues, but that advantage comes with a letterbox slit on the world. I personally would not go curved.

Everything is a series of compromises, and I’m comfortable with my choice. Each to their own.

C

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Craig Read

Carl, what specific TV to do you use out of interest?

Share this post


Link to post
Derek McBride
On 6/6/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Derek McBride, you don’t say what CPU and GPU you’ll be buying. That is critical to how well your system will work. I’m sure you know that. What are you planning on getting?

Have you ruled out a 4K display? A32” 4K monitor gives brilliant results in P3D. You don’t need high refresh rates on a monitor. Mine is capable of 30Hz and that gives me the smoothest sim possible. So think about a 16:9 4K display. The sharpness is incredible.

Good Question.  I don't know yet. Many years ago I agonised for weeks on the right combination. I was trying to match spec and price and performance for the optimum bang for the bucks..

Now I'm not so bothered.  I've handed over responsibility for the project to a friend who is a computer consultant.  My only surprise in that over-crowded field of expertise is how busy they all have been during this lockdown -as are suppliers.  Much of the kit is unavailable apart from Amazon, CCL and eBuyer.

However they are getting better.

Share this post


Link to post
Ray Proudfoot
1 hour ago, Derek McBride said:

Good Question.  I don't know yet. Many years ago I agonised for weeks on the right combination. I was trying to match spec and price and performance for the optimum bang for the bucks..

Now I'm not so bothered.  I've handed over responsibility for the project to a friend who is a computer consultant.  My only surprise in that over-crowded field of expertise is how busy they all have been during this lockdown -as are suppliers.  Much of the kit is unavailable apart from Amazon, CCL and eBuyer.

However they are getting better.

You can leave choice of CPU / GPU to a friend but it would be better if you learned enough to make those decisions yourself. It is your money after all. Do you have a budget you're willing to make public? If you want good performance from FSL aircraft in P3D v4/5 then a budget of £2.5K excluding a monitor and yoke etc is required.

But it's you that will be flying, not your friend. Monitors and aspect ratios are very subjective. Yes, ultra-wide view monitors give a wider perpsective but at the expense of a vertical one. And modern graphics cards (Nvidia 2080Ti being the best) will allow 4K resolution with plenty in reserve. 16:9 monitors are the most popular for good reason.

Don't buy until you're sure what you want. Then come back here for guidance if you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Carl Avari-Cooper
On 6/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Craig Read said:

Carl, what specific TV to do you use out of interest?

Craig-

How nice to see you on the fora, hope you are safe and well mate!

I use a Sony XBR2. Very happy with the result.

C

Share this post


Link to post
M MORAES DOMINGUES

Dear members,

I want to buy a monitor just for flying the FSL A320 on P3D, studying Airbus and aviation manuals, browsing and working on Microsoft office. 
I've read all the comments, but I'm still not sure if I should buy a 49" or 34" or 27" monitor.
I own a Razor Blade 15 (2018) laptop which I don't want to change to a more powerful desktop, as it runs P3D satisfactorily well and has the following main specs:

8th Gen i7-8750H, 6 Cores/12 Threads, 2.2GHz/4.1GHz (Base/Max Turbo), 9MB Cache;
GeForce GTX 1060 Max-Q Design (6GB GDDR5 VRAM, Optimus Technology);
16GB dual-channel DDR4-2667MHz;

I'm not an assiduous Flight Simmer and I don't know much about computing. I just use the FSL A320 for studying and training, as I work as an Airbus pilot.
I find the 27" a good size, but I've seen some reviews saying that an ultra-wide monitor is more productive.
Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Mar:kus Czie:gler
On 6/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, Antti Salo said:

Oh, and one thing I do have to mention... The scaling of 2D windows (popups) doesn't quite work, which is a bit of a nuisance. You can of course resize them manually, but you have to do it again every time you restart the sim. Anyone maybe have a workaround for this? Same thing in V5 with another addon.

Capture3.PNG

Hi Antti,

have a look at the following tool - i use it since years and it works perfectly:

Greets,
Markus

Share this post


Link to post
Antti Salo
3 hours ago, Mar:kus Czie:gler said:

Hi Antti,

have a look at the following tool - i use it since years and it works perfectly:

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...