Ramón Cutanda

My next Concorde Simulator

Ramón Cutanda

This is half joking/half serious. There is no turning back: as soon as the Brooklands Museum reopen I will check the available dates and I will plan a visit between next Christmas and the summer of 2021 at the latest. Hopefully, apart from using the sim I will be able to meet some of you! Since I was a teenager I have made a bunch of 4-6 weeks stayings in different parts of the UK so I am not in any special  hurry to visit this or that as if I were a first time visitor. I will keep you updated!

• Like 2

AdrianSmith

I have flown the Brooklands Concorde Sim (as have a couple of others here).

It is a brilliant experience, I hand flew the approach into Kai Tak

James Coombe

Hi Ramon,

Let me know when you are coming, see you at Brooklands soon :-) 

James

• Like 1

Fraser Gale

Everybody interested in Concorde should do this - you will love it, if only for getting to chat to those that were actually involved, something that won't be around forever. 

Done it twice, would have been a third had it not been for the current situation and it is well worth the travel, time and money.  I wish I lived a little closer, I'd be there every spare minute! 

If you want to test your landing skills, I recommend the landing into Brooklands itself - here is my go... 

Although if you only have one "slot" maybe a more mainstream one would be better...

• Like 2

Fraser Gale
3 hours ago, James Coombe said:

Hi Ramon,

Let me know when you are coming, see you at Brooklands soon :-) 

James

By the way James, if you are in contact with either Terry Henderson or Ian (F) Smith please pass on my regards - not that they'll remember me as it's a few years since I was last down.  They were both exceptionally nice guys (on different occasions) and Terry spent a good hour after the sim session with myself and my father, going round Delta Golf and talking Concorde which he didn't have to do.  It was one of the best days ever. 

It is so nice to meet guys who genuinely loved this aeroplane and you can tell love passing on their experiences to the next generation, even if we can't go fly her for real...

Fraser

• Like 1

James Coombe
On 5/30/2020 at 3:23 PM, Fraser Gale said:

By the way James, if you are in contact with either Terry Henderson or Ian (F) Smith please pass on my regards - not that they'll remember me as it's a few years since I was last down.  They were both exceptionally nice guys (on different occasions) and Terry spent a good hour after the sim session with myself and my father, going round Delta Golf and talking Concorde which he didn't have to do.  It was one of the best days ever. 

It is so nice to meet guys who genuinely loved this aeroplane and you can tell love passing on their experiences to the next generation, even if we can't go fly her for real...

Fraser

Hi Fraser,

They are both great guys and i will be sure to pass your message on!

Best wishes

James

Konstantin

Watching the video that Ramon Cutanda has embedded, I can't help but realize how much of a cockpit update the FSL Concorde needs. Look at the instruments and at how the digits jump on the airspeed gauge, for example. As good as the VC in Concorde-X looks compared to older versions, it fails to capture the real deal. What about the idea of FSLabs making and selling Concorde home cockpit?  Haha...  Well, I'm afraid the economic mileage would probably not make this idea feasible unless we are willing to pay big bucks.

Fraser Gale
1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

Watching the video that Ramon Cutanda has embedded, I can't help but realize how much of a cockpit update the FSL Concorde needs. Look at the instruments and at how the digits jump on the airspeed gauge, for example. As good as the VC in Concorde-X looks compared to older versions, it fails to capture the real deal. What about the idea of FSLabs making and selling Concorde home cockpit?  Haha...  Well, I'm afraid the economic mileage would probably not make this idea feasible unless we are willing to pay big bucks.

Erm, I love what Brooklands have done to the simulator and the brains that went in to getting it working must have been massive, but those gauges didn't jump like that on the real thing... Yes, sometimes the Mach/CG bugs might bounce a little - I once noticed that on a video somewhere, but the actual instruments I don't think jumped like they do at Brooklands.  In fact it took a little getting used to trying to nail theta 2 after rotation with the ADI jerkily moving the way it did.  On the real aircraft, pilots flew to half/quarter degrees in pitch, and you couldn't do that at Brooklands when I flew it as it jumped at least two degrees at a time on occasions...

They were always changing but much more smoothly that you see above, so in that respect, the simulation you have on your computer is more accurate!  

Just guessing here, but I suspect it will be something to do with interfacing extremely accurate analogue gauges with digital outputs from FS2004.  Could be wrong with that though.  

Vimal Anandharaman

Damn, I would love to go on those, if not only for the fact that I live 10800km away :unsure:. Really hope the Pandemic will go away soon. 

Konstantin
20 hours ago, Fraser Gale said:

Erm, I love what Brooklands have done to the simulator and the brains that went in to getting it working must have been massive, but those gauges didn't jump like that on the real thing... Yes, sometimes the Mach/CG bugs might bounce a little - I once noticed that on a video somewhere, but the actual instruments I don't think jumped like they do at Brooklands.  In fact it took a little getting used to trying to nail theta 2 after rotation with the ADI jerkily moving the way it did.  On the real aircraft, pilots flew to half/quarter degrees in pitch, and you couldn't do that at Brooklands when I flew it as it jumped at least two degrees at a time on occasions...

They were always changing but much more smoothly that you see above, so in that respect, the simulation you have on your computer is more accurate!  

Just guessing here, but I suspect it will be something to do with interfacing extremely accurate analogue gauges with digital outputs from FS2004.  Could be wrong with that though.  

I am not referring to the artificial horizon or the altimeter, I am talking about the machmeter and the airspeed indicator. The temperature gauges on the enigieer's panel jumped as well. If you watch the close-up cockpit videos that are available, you can see that the machmeter bounced especially upon breaking the sound barrier. If you look carefully, you also see that the fonts on the altimeter and machmeter differ between Concorde-X and the real thing (especially the digit 4).

2.jpg

img_5117.jpg

Fraser Gale
1 hour ago, Konstantin said:

I am not referring to the artificial horizon or the altimeter, I am talking about the machmeter and the airspeed indicator. The temperature gauges on the enigieer's panel jumped as well. If you watch the close-up cockpit videos that are available, you can see that the machmeter bounced especially upon breaking the sound barrier. If you look carefully, you also see that the fonts on the altimeter and machmeter differ between Concorde-X and the real thing (especially the digit 4).

2.jpg

img_5117.jpg

I agree that the graphics need an update.  The airspeed indicator/Mach meter did not jump unless the data entering them was causing them to, they were known to be very reliable and accurate but getting difficult to maintain by the end.   Going through Mach 1 the instruments that used a static feed (VSI & altimeter for example) albeit via the air data computers, did jump because of the pressure wave passing up the fuselage distorting the air around the static ports.  

Most of the time the indicators were as smooth as any other aircraft but as they measured things constantly (none of this digital sampling nonsense!) they picked up every little change in static, pressure etc.  The altimeters were smooth and would creep particularly in the cruise.  Brooklands sim doesn't do that, hence I don't think the jumping you see in the video you refer to is representative of the real aircraft.  

Aurelien Vandoorine
17 hours ago, Konstantin said:

Could'nt the altimeters have been made at different time with different numbers making the difference likely. As it also seems there is also the red and green speed tabs disappearing. 
I imagine over the course of the Concorde service the parts could have changed or been updated with little differences. 

Fraser Gale

Actually, there are different fonts used on different instruments, for example the airspeed indicators have a number "1" with the left flick at the top as it appears here, whereas the Mach meter has the number as just a straight line like "I" 

They might have been sourced from different companies, and I know that some were stamped "Jaeger" by Smiths instruments.  You might find some are by French manufacturers and use different fonts. 

Alfredo Hernandez

This is definetively in my to do list. Have to hunt low transatlantic fares thou.