Jump to content
Camille MOUCHEL

Non FSL plane - V4 vs V5 performance : very disapointed

Recommended Posts

Camille MOUCHEL

EDIT: yeah should have preciced in the title that it was not with the fslabs.

 

Well guys, as i was getting like 18-23 FPS with the FSLABS with my ancient PC and laptop so when I heard that V5 has less stutters and more FPS, i was like, i might finally have at least 25 FPS steady with the FPS eater fslabs.

So until FSLABS release their children on p3dv5, i was interested in learning a steady level airliner on p3dv5. So I bought the maddog 82 and I must say that it's a beauty and FPS wise i got like the double of fslabs but that is not the matter here.

Because of the coravirus thing, I don't have access to my main dinosaure PC: 4790k@4.6Ghz / GTX 1080Ti so I conduct a test with my laptop: 6700 desktop non OC / GTX980m (8Gb VRAM)

I tried to have the same graphic setting as possible to make it fair:

The test will hold at LOWI (ORBX) at gate 2 with the maddog with panel state ( ready at gate). No AI, default weather, ORBX global for both simulators. Besides Shader folder were deleted for both simulators as well

 

P3DV4.5

Setting:

V4_3.thumb.PNG.9aaa044d4aa496be98a955c588b7fea9.PNGV4_2.thumb.PNG.33998d13ad463c9cadebfab93231918b.PNGV4_1.thumb.PNG.ee1f4d3769e6183c7e035150fe007c49.PNG

 

 

Results: VC

V4_VC_2.thumb.PNG.0b211477235f479a25918cdd47c5e1eb.PNGV4_VC_1.thumb.PNG.417abfc7718a9ee7d6fc7d264896856a.PNG

so around 56 FPS, not bad, with the fslabs i would have 28-30

 

Results: Right wing

V4_LWING_2.thumb.PNG.6ecdb6210dc0e1ee8fbeb31951144b48.PNGV4_LWING_1.thumb.PNG.ca5f3dc084ee7bef9a706e7728b8f327.PNG

85FPS, pretty good performance regarding my laptop specs

 

 

P3DV5

Setting:

V5_3.thumb.PNG.2491e8b51814984b3bc83260ed8c5152.PNGV5_2.thumb.PNG.62593facdfafdd2cf880f94aefd2f05f.PNGV5_1.thumb.PNG.0c79575f2e0dc6a6368f74b7b497a192.PNG

 

Results: VC

V5_VC_2.thumb.PNG.56c34276c7ad89e5812c712c5ea693cd.PNGV5_VC_1.thumb.PNG.436cdc0d0e842725871d962c5886ead6.PNG

well around 45 FPS, that -11 FPS /-20%,

 

Results: Right wing

V5_LWING_2.thumb.PNG.d20ad1594786c779c3a0847d27dbf38f.PNGV5_LWING_1.thumb.PNG.7412f283f71176cb42f24584e917196f.PNG

down to 53 FPS: -32 FPS/-60% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

So people were saying that they've gained +30/50%, Blackbox711 in his V5 stream said that he had gained 10/15% more fps. Am I the only one to have lost performance drastically on V5 ?? I mean was hopping to better better frames with the fslabs but i would get like <15-20 FPS when flying :(

Did you guys notice that V5 uses less VRAM than V4 on my side were other were complaining about excessive VRAM ? Maybe DX12 is not working on p3DV5 ??

 

I'll have to do the same test on my desktop computer and see if I see the same trend. The only pro of V5for me is that the lighting and clouds are better, especially the lighting, looks more vivid, warm in p3DV5 but looks way blurry on p3dv5

 

Anyways, whats your thoughts on the matter, is there some setting I can use to get more fps on V5 ? is it because the maddog is not yet op^timized for v5 ?

 

EDIT:

When the aircraft was moving, the fps was pretty consitent, from 37-57 FPS in the same area

V5_VC_4.thumb.PNG.ff59c1673512f54c45cb1acc42f8151d.PNGV5_VC_3.thumb.PNG.b6912dfb18cdf10c9928bbd741c99ff3.PNG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Robert Ruprecht

Maybe have a look at R&D presets very recent guide to settings in P3Dv5, Well worth a read.

Share this post


Link to post
Louis Vallance

Hi Camille,

This is an interesting comparison. I don't know anything about the Maddog 82 simuation, but the wing textures look different. Did the developer implement anything new for the v5 version? That might play a role.

I looked at your v4/v5 settings and I can't see anything untoward, except that I've noticed a few people in the LM forums complaining that they experience an FPS drop in v5 when they have clear skies, and the FPS increases when enabling Enhanced Atmospherincs. You could try enabling this option (with no higher than Medium Cloud Resolution (otherwise your GPU might run out of memory).

Another thing to note is that v5 uses a different version of DirectX which utilizes the GPU more intensively compared to v4, so your GTX 980M might be more of a bottleneck in v5. The GTX 1080Ti installed in your PC is more than twice as powerful so you might not experience the same issues.

Cheers,

Louis

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier

Maddog has a v5 which has pbr. Also the 980m with 8gb of vram should see problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Peter Hastings

GPU looks pretty much maxed out in all the task manager screenshots while the CPU is cruising.  Bottleneck?

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
1 hour ago, Peter Hastings said:

GPU looks pretty much maxed out in all the task manager screenshots while the CPU is cruising.  Bottleneck?

same with v4, but I have 20 to 60% more FPS

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
1 hour ago, Koen Meier said:

Maddog has a v5 which has pbr. Also the 980m with 8gb of vram should see problems.

V4 is also full PBR (cockpit + exterior) so not the culprit, also V4 used 4.5 gb VRAM and v5 <4 gb VRAM,v5 has even used less VRAM than V4

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
2 hours ago, Louis Vallance said:

Hi Camille,

This is an interesting comparison. I don't know anything about the Maddog 82 simuation, but the wing textures look different. Did the developer implement anything new for the v5 version? That might play a role.

I looked at your v4/v5 settings and I can't see anything untoward, except that I've noticed a few people in the LM forums complaining that they experience an FPS drop in v5 when they have clear skies, and the FPS increases when enabling Enhanced Atmospherincs. You could try enabling this option (with no higher than Medium Cloud Resolution (otherwise your GPU might run out of memory).

Another thing to note is that v5 uses a different version of DirectX which utilizes the GPU more intensively compared to v4, so your GTX 980M might be more of a bottleneck in v5. The GTX 1080Ti installed in your PC is more than twice as powerful so you might not experience the same issues.

Cheers,

Louis

Well did I flight and i had lower FPS in overcast conditions in V5, i tried the atmospheric enhancement once but I lost 10-20 FPS, need more tests

 

You can see that my GPU was also bottlenected in V4 but still manage to get better performance

 

What makes me mad is that at iso graphic setting, I can lose between 10-30 FPS in v5, i just hope that its because of my 980m

Share this post


Link to post
Peter Pukhnoy

What's up with the vibrant colors in your v5 screenshots? Is that the default lighting?

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier
13 minutes ago, Peter Pukhnoy said:

What's up with the vibrant colors in your v5 screenshots? Is that the default lighting?

Possibly due to enhanced atmospheric.

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
16 minutes ago, Peter Pukhnoy said:

What's up with the vibrant colors in your v5 screenshots? Is that the default lighting?

Yes i have nothing more except using the new AS p3D for v5, that's for me the only pro of V5, i like the default lighting better

4 minutes ago, Koen Meier said:

Possibly due to enhanced atmospheric.

Negative, its set to off if you look at my setting screens :)

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer

Try reduce your cloud draw distance and tesselation factor

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier

Maybe even go down to 2k textures, fxaa off, and maybe 4x msaa and 4x anisotropic.

Share this post


Link to post
Louis Vallance
2 hours ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

Well did I flight and i had lower FPS in overcast conditions in V5, i tried the atmospheric enhancement once but I lost 10-20 FPS, need more tests

 

You can see that my GPU was also bottlenected in V4 but still manage to get better performance

 

What makes me mad is that at iso graphic setting, I can lose between 10-30 FPS in v5, i just hope that its because of my 980m

OK that's interesting. One can hope that you'll have a better time with the faster rig and fingers crossed for the FSL when that comes out! v5 is facing a few teething issues so things might also get better in the sim as we see new hot fixes being released. I for one notice at least 3 major annoyances for every flight I perform in v5.

Louis

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
50 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Try reduce your cloud draw distance and tesselation factor

if you use AS, you need to set draw distance to MAX ( AS claim)

i don't really know what tesselation factor does

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier
1 minute ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

if you use AS, you need to set draw distance to MAX ( AS claim)

i don't really know what tesselation factor does

I believe AS said that 90nm is good cause that is what AS uses by default for cloud draw. But that density is set to max.

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer
2 minutes ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

if you use AS, you need to set draw distance to MAX ( AS claim)

No, you mean cloud coverage. Cloud draw distance is controlled by AS itself. I would suggest Minimum 60 and maximum 90nm.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer

Tesselation Factor is there to relieve the CPU and move work to the GPU. Makes no sense if you don't have a really powerful GPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
4 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

No, you mean cloud coverage. Cloud draw distance is controlled by AS itself. I would suggest Minimum 60 and maximum 90nm.
 

thats what I have

2 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Tesselation Factor is there to relieve the CPU and move work to the GPU. Makes no sense if you don't have a really powerful GPU.

hmm Isee, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer
1 minute ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

thats what I have

Obviously not, you have set it to 110nm in the sim and Coverage to medium.

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
16 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

Obviously not, you have set it to 110nm in the sim and Coverage to medium.

60-90 i have it AS p3D, should'nt AS overide it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer

It makes sense to turn the slider down, even if AS overrides the draw distance. Why letting AS calculating it down?

Plus you checked the Dynamic 3D Autogen to ON. Thats a framekiller and doesn't like very nice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
15 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:



Plus you checked the Dynamic 3D Autogen to ON. Thats a framekiller and doesn't like very nice. 

Noted but i have it on p3dv4 aswell, so that doesn't explain the drop in performance

Share this post


Link to post
Marvin Toepfer

You can't compare v4 with v5 in some parts. Some settings changed in v5. I read today that for example the "level of detail radius" increased by 20% in v5 compared to the same setting in v4.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Koen Meier
5 minutes ago, Marvin Toepfer said:

You can't compare v4 with v5 in some parts. Some settings changed in v5. I read today that for example the "level of detail radius" increased by 20% in v5 compared to the same setting in v4.

I guess they were able to push the default settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Matt Crick

Also by Leonardo's own admission, you need an 8GB card to run the maddog in v5. That's probably not even taking any overheads caused by other sim addons (such as scenery etc) taken into account.

You have inadvertently chosen to purchase the worst performing aircraft in v5 right now. It is the only addon to outright cause DXGI errors for me at a heavy airport like Fly Tampa's KLAS.

Leo not only has PBR inside and out, but also full 4K textures. If you take that, plus any potential optimisation problems with v5 and DX12 currently, you're going to run into problems.

They've got some 2k VC texture replacement files on their forum which has helped me. PMDG runs very well on my system, but Leo is bringing it to its knees at the mo.

Head on over to their forums to join the discussion if you haven't already

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Camille MOUCHEL
26 minutes ago, Matt Crick said:

Also by Leonardo's own admission, you need an 8GB card to run the maddog in v5. That's probably not even taking any overheads caused by other sim addons (such as scenery etc) taken into account.

You have inadvertently chosen to purchase the worst performing aircraft in v5 right now. It is the only addon to outright cause DXGI errors for me at a heavy airport like Fly Tampa's KLAS.

Leo not only has PBR inside and out, but also full 4K textures. If you take that, plus any potential optimisation problems with v5 and DX12 currently, you're going to run into problems.

They've got some 2k VC texture replacement files on their forum which has helped me. PMDG runs very well on my system, but Leo is bringing it to its knees at the mo.

Head on over to their forums to join the discussion if you haven't already

this topic is about comparison, it has 4K texture and full PBR in p3dv4 aswell so why can get more than 10-30 FPS in v4?

And my 980m has 8 of VRAM and as you can see the VRAM didn't go above 4.5 gb so I have lots of margin

Share this post


Link to post
Norman Blackburn
1 hour ago, Camille MOUCHEL said:

this topic is about comparison, it has 4K texture and full PBR in p3dv4 aswell so why can get more than 10-30 FPS in v4?

And my 980m has 8 of VRAM and as you can see the VRAM didn't go above 4.5 gb so I have lots of margin

These are all questions better asked over at their forum.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...