Sharklets for A319?

Jeffry Babb

Jeffry Babb

Hi,

I was just reading the product updates/roadmap post from mid-April and notice that the plans for the sharklets add-on/update product do not seem to include the A319.  However, the current largest operator of airbus single-aisle aircraft operates many A319 with sharklets.  Have I not read something correctly or will the A319 be omitted from the sharklets product plans?

Norman Blackburn

Hi Jeffry,

You read that correctly.  There will be no sharklet addon for A319-X 

In the past 5 years there have only been on average 4 per year A319 - all kinds - manufactured.  

• Like 1
Jeffry Babb

Hello,

Thank you Keon and Norman for the answers.  The decision is regrettable to me and the rationale is interesting.

If I discount the NEOs across the board, I show to-date CEO deliveries for this family to be:

• A320: 4750
  • A321: 1757
  • A319: 1479

This does not put the A319 terribly far behind and I believe a reasonable number of these have received some sharklet conversion, but perhaps not enough?

However, if the FSLabs rationale is about what is out there today and future trends, then I trust/hope that the NEO is on your drawing board as the A319 is indeed not ordered much in the NEO.

I was hoping for completeness as the A319 is not a rarity in the skies and I do not believe the sharklets on the A319 are that rare either.  I could be wrong but I guess my focus was the 32 sharlets A319s that AAL operates.

Kinda bummed, but I appreciate the clear answer.

• Like 1
Ryan Vince
1 hour ago, Jeffry Babb said:

Hello,

Thank you Keon and Norman for the answers.  The decision is regrettable to me and the rationale is interesting.

If I discount the NEOs across the board, I show to-date CEO deliveries for this family to be:

• A320: 4750
  • A321: 1757
  • A319: 1479

This does not put the A319 terribly far behind and I believe a reasonable number of these have received some sharklet conversion, but perhaps not enough?

However, if the FSLabs rationale is about what is out there today and future trends, then I trust/hope that the NEO is on your drawing board as the A319 is indeed not ordered much in the NEO.

I was hoping for completeness as the A319 is not a rarity in the skies and I do not believe the sharklets on the A319 are that rare either.  I could be wrong but I guess my focus was the 32 sharlets A319s that AAL operates.

Kinda bummed, but I appreciate the clear answer.

I believe only new delivery planes can have the sharklets without major mods.  The only US airline I know that has them is AA and that's on a very limited fleet of "new" A319s

• 11 months later...
Mike Collier
On 5/23/2020 at 9:38 AM, Jeffry Babb said:

Yes and it is those AA aircraft I wanted to have in the sim.

Disappointing to me also that FSLabs would put forth the effort to create the sharklet variant and only do two of the three.  

However, having said that, out of the 133 A319's we (AA) have in the fleet, only 32 of them are sharklet equipped.  The other 101 are not, so still plenty of opportunity to fly AAL A319's 

Mike C

Flight Dispatch/AAL 

• Like 1
Tom Landry

The first A319 I ever flew was one of the sharklet ones. It being only my third ever Airbus flight I will say it was a fluke but it was one of the best landings I have ever made. Maybe someday they will revisit the possibility of the sharklet A319 because many of us would love to have it in our fleet. 

Mike Collier
Just now, Tom Landry said:

The first A319 I ever flew was one of the sharklet ones. It being only my third ever Airbus flight I will say it was a fluke but it was one of the best landings I have ever made. Maybe someday they will revisit the possibility of the sharklet A319 because many of us would love to have it in our fleet. 

Here's hoping!

Mike C

Flight Dispatch/AAL