questions regarding p3DV5 performance

Camille MOUCHEL

Camille MOUCHEL

Hi guys,

I'm currently on V4.5 but with the fslabs i'm getting between 18-22 FPS during take off roll and landing and 22-26 FPS if lucky during cruise (1440p).

i only fly on scenery like Mk Sudio, just sim, flytampa.....

the probelm is my ancient GPU (1080Ti) is only averaging like 30% max, maybe that's because I have a dionosaure 4790k@4.6 Ghz.

Hearing that V5 gives significant FPS boost, I was wondering if you guys woud know if V5 will give me 25-30 FPS stable in most situtation. i'm not asking for 40-60 FPS like some people get witht he PMDG or maddog; but 25-30 FPS and i'll be very happy

my settings

image.thumb.png.cbe71c8e63228f2d7335c3eaef6ebec8.png

image.thumb.png.a721cf70cb55eb46b2d6f44fdddd7f7b.png

image.thumb.png.f283257cf0b20d3d7e23b37042893513.png

Louis Vallance

It's impossible to give a concrete answer until we get our hands on the FSL v5 update. With PMDG's updated  QOTSII + ASN + ORBX + 3rd party airports, I get an improvement in framerate of about 100% over v4.5. That's with the i9-9900K and RTX 2080.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Camille MOUCHEL
6 minutes ago, Louis Vallance said:

It's impossible to give a concrete answer until we get our hands on the FSL v5 update. With PMDG's updated  QOTSII + ASN + ORBX + 3rd party airports, I get an improvement in framerate of about 100% over v4.5. That's with the i9-9900K and RTX 2080.

thank you for the input

• Thanks 1
Angel Vallejo Duarri
6 hours ago, Louis Vallance said:

And what's your boost in VRAM usage?

Stopped at Flytampa KLAS I get to more than 5 gb of VRAM usage, it's crazy and unusable (using default aircraft).

markjavornik
13 hours ago, Louis Vallance said:

Is that with Truesky enabled?  I find that I only see a performance increase when Truesky is enabled, but with it off my performance is very similar to v4

Louis Vallance
27 minutes ago, markjavornik said:

Is that with Truesky enabled?  I find that I only see a performance increase when Truesky is enabled, but with it off my performance is very similar to v4

Hi Mark,

With TreuSky enabled, my framerate at KLAS actually jumps slightly. However, this could be due to the fact that I reduced the cloud resolution to medium in Enhanced Atmospherics to prevent OOM. KLAS is an especially tough area (KLAS, KJFK and EGLL are where framerates go to die in my sim). Getting ~30-35 stable at this location is something I could never achieve in v4.

Cheers,

Louis

qotsii_klas_ts1.png

qotsii_klas_ts0.png

Louis Vallance
7 hours ago, Angel Vallejo Duarri said:

And what's your boost in VRAM usage?

Stopped at Flytampa KLAS I get to more than 5 gb of VRAM usage, it's crazy and unusable (using default aircraft).

Hi Angel,

VRAM usage at KLAS with medium-high graphics settings is very high. I have to reduce cloud resolution or disable enhanced atmospherics in order to stave off OOMs. Just like you, I can easily pass 5GB of VRAM usage.

If I know I'm flying into a "danger" airport, I have to reduce my resolutions a little bit beforehand. I learnt this the hard way when my sim crashed 10nm from KBOS after a 6-hour journey over the atlantic...

Cheers,

Louis

Ross McDonagh
On 5/19/2020 at 11:37 AM, Louis Vallance said:

This is very encouraging news for my new PC which will be based on an i9 10900K and an RTX 2080 Super-but the biggest thing I’m waiting for is the FSL bus to get released for V5.    

Wilhelm Zwirchmayr

hi, i also had a 1080 ti

with WQHD + night / dynamic light, pushes your graphics card to the limit, HD resolution is no problem

additional:
FXAA Off
2 x SSAA requires a lot of power, one level below
I would limit FPS, with unlimited your system always runs on 100%
my FPS are blocked on 30

dynamic 3d autogen ..... - switch off, all addon manufacturers recommend, only brings problems

cfg there are also a couple of options

[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.01

[PANELS]
Panel_Max_Update_Per_Frame = 1

[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT = 1
UseGlobalTerrainView = True
TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP = 9 with 10 higher memory requirements

here are a few options, read and try them out
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/545920-p3d-v44-and-settings-and-video-samples-from-beta/page/9/

• Like 1
Wilhelm Zwirchmayr

for HD yes.
It flew as I bought a wqhd monitor and had only 12 fps at dynamic light at loww airport at night.
I also had the 4790 cpu, which I then exchanged for the 8800k. I had about 15-20 fps more with the same setting, plane, weather etc.
between 8800k and 9900k the fps increases are not that big.
amd 12 core with some settings you have about the same performance.
16 core bring disadvantages

Rado Rabatin
On 5/19/2020 at 4:13 PM, Camille MOUCHEL said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently on V4.5 but with the fslabs i'm getting between 18-22 FPS during take off roll and landing and 22-26 FPS if lucky during cruise (1440p).

i only fly on scenery like Mk Sudio, just sim, flytampa.....

the probelm is my ancient GPU (1080Ti) is only averaging like 30% max, maybe that's because I have a dionosaure 4790k@4.6 Ghz.

Hearing that V5 gives significant FPS boost, I was wondering if you guys woud know if V5 will give me 25-30 FPS stable in most situtation. i'm not asking for 40-60 FPS like some people get witht he PMDG or maddog; but 25-30 FPS and i'll be very happy

my settings

image.thumb.png.cbe71c8e63228f2d7335c3eaef6ebec8.png

image.thumb.png.a721cf70cb55eb46b2d6f44fdddd7f7b.png

image.thumb.png.f283257cf0b20d3d7e23b37042893513.png

Hi,

I’m using 4770K @4,5GHz HT off, 1080 Ti 11GB and 32GB RAM, my settings are i most sliders on Max or very high, and I don’t end up with fps lower than 20, mostly locked all the time at 30, I’m very happy and not planing to upgrade/purchase new PC until end of year or next. P3Dv5 RTM version run even better than HF1, I don’t use Truesky yet (but it doesn’t affect my performance). I use ORBX, Flytampa and other demanding sceneries, PMDG,Maddog,Qw787, ASP3D withs ASCA.

Rado

Camille MOUCHEL
5 hours ago, RadoR said:

Hi,

I’m using 4770K @4,5GHz HT off, 1080 Ti 11GB and 32GB RAM, my settings are i most sliders on Max or very high, and I don’t end up with fps lower than 20, mostly locked all the time at 30, I’m very happy and not planing to upgrade/purchase new PC until end of year or next. P3Dv5 RTM version run even better than HF1, I don’t use Truesky yet (but it doesn’t affect my performance). I use ORBX, Flytampa and other demanding sceneries, PMDG,Maddog,Qw787, ASP3D withs ASCA.

Rado

you get llower than 20 FPS even with fslabs A32X on V4?

Rado Rabatin

Hello,

I don't fly 4,5HF3 anymore, last time I flew FSL A320 at complex airport I got sometimes less than 20 fps. On p3dv5 I can compare performance on PMDG747 and it is way better, on V4,5 I was unable to fly UK2000 EGLL on fps higher than 20 (14-20) fps, now in v5 I have fps at EGLL 20 and I can finally use ORBX TE GB South. In v 4,5 it was impossible. I expect FSL A320 to run better on v5, but it is just my assumption. 

Looking forward for v5,

with best regards,

Rado

Angel Vallejo Duarri

I got back to P3Dv4.5 from v5. 

If you have a GPU with less than 8gb, v5 is a no go (at least for me).

With 6gb of VRAM and using lower settings than the ones I used to set on v4.5 I got OOM erros flying across TE WA and Flytampa KLAS (with enh. Atmospherics OFF)

Very disapointed with V5. I expected some kind of cross funcionality between the VRAM and CPU RAM to avoid a sim crash. Looks like in some points we are going backwards.

Markus Burkhard
45 minutes ago, Angel Vallejo Duarri said:

Very disapointed with V5. I expected some kind of cross funcionality between the VRAM and CPU RAM to avoid a sim crash. Looks like in some points we are going backwards.

On the contrary, Lockheed Martin moved things forward. For years and years the community has begged MS, then later LM, to please move more work to the GPU. And now, using DX12, we have what we wanted. A serious FPS increase is the result, but at the cost of a hard limit on available VRAM. For some, the price might be too high. For most though they can either use it straight away, or upgrade some hardware parts along with the software, as has always been the case in the history of PC-based flight simulation. So this is not going backwards, it is a real possibility to finally enjoy decent amounts of FPS when flying into hub airports. Old hardware has to be left behind at SOME point, you can't drag it along all the time, that would prevent you from making any progress.

Sure, 4GB video cards will no longer work. 6GB cards will work for many, but of course if you throw some heavy weights at it, like ORBX TrueEarth with its gigantic texture sizes, yes this might bring a 6GB card to its knees. 
The thing is, for years and years developers did not need to pay attention to VRAM. So what happened was that many developers used 4K textures all over their airports, even though the difference between 2K and 4K would never have been visible. This got even worse in P3Dv4, because with that, developers didn't even need to pay attention to OOM errors at all anymore, so texture size waste increased yet again.
So some developers will have to re-think their methods to avoid unnecessary texture use.

And in a few months time, when the new generation video cards hit the market, this issue will start to go away, since this will allow for a very significant price drop for 8GB video cards. And many of those will even be available second-hand at even better prices.

So it would be quite unfair towards Lockheed Martin to tell them they went backwards. You see I now can place my A320 onto the Sim-Wings Heathrow airport, high settings, view direction downtown, at night, TrueSky enabled, 4K resolution, and still easily maintain 50fps locked, with room to spare. Oh and yes, all that with only 3.9GB of VRAM usage in total. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2