New PC/Timing

Ross McDonagh

Ross McDonagh

Hello all, long time lurker here.  I’ve been an FS guy since 1990 and have evolved thru the years. I’m about to get a new PC from jetline systems specifically to fly the FSLabs Airbus.  

-The sales and tech guys at jetline have suggested I wait for new 10th gen CPU’s as well as more addons being P3D V5 compatible.  

In the meantime, I was digging around and can’t find anything other than “not V5 compatible yet you’ve been warned.” 

Did I miss a post somewhere?  I’m kind of sitting around here waiting on this PC order so any insight from the community would be helpful.  

PC main specs will be 

i9 9900KF (or i9 10900K if I wait)

RTX 2080 Super 

32GB 3200mhz RAM 

1TB M.2 NVME 

Any suggestions on hardware (left handed joystick anyone?) or other peripherals or addons that will assist with the FSLabs experience are welcome   
The main airlines I’ll be “flying for” are JetBlue/Hawaiian/Aer Lingus and my home base is KBOS (I know there’s a FlyTampa for that) 

Thanks in advance!  Can’t wait to put the iPad down and get back into the “real” digital skies!

Sabine Meier

At this moment we are waiting for an update to the base product the A320-X. this will likely add support for V5. then we will get A321 update, a319 update  and Sharklets.

for hardware: there are no lefthanded joysticks unless you go with a real mock up of an airbus one. most people use an hotas setup, warthog or T16000 or saitek x56, along side rudder pedals. some people are venturing in to the realm of Skalarki which is a320 hardware for the sim.

as far as software:

standard is active sky for weather radar, ORBX global range, chaseplane and gsx as that has integration with the ATSU/AOC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
J0hannes Butz

First please change your username to your real name as all other members of this forum did.

And for AddOns: Don't forget the RealTurb Line (buy them all at once, you'll save some money)! It makes a huge difference on approaches/climbs, the bus really comes alive with it.

21 minutes ago, WaitinOnDaBus said:

have suggested I wait for new 10th gen CPU

Seems pretty smart to do as Intel is switching up their platforms to a newer standard.
If you've been able to hold out on the bus for this long you can probably handle the little extra wait. :) 

Oh and if you want to get further down the rabbit hole of PC hardware try and get a monitor with a variable refresh rate (GSync/FreeSync), that made my sim much more enjoyable.

• Thanks 1
Riccardo Masia

Or just go with a Ryzen CPU.. :D Sim is mostly CPU heavy anyway (less so with v5 but still), so more cores will surely help a bit. (for the same price!)

DANIELE ROUGIER

Concerning joystick, the product  T.16000M FCS  THRUSTMASTER, is fully ambidextrous joystick.

Few removable components allow the joystick to be perfectly tailored for left-handed or right-handed use.

I use it with satisfaction. Obviously there are very professional products dedicated to Airbus: the limit can be the high cost.

• Thanks 1
Ross McDonagh
On 5/13/2020 at 2:02 PM, Johannes Butz said:

First please change your username to your real name as all other members of this forum did.

And for AddOns: Don't forget the RealTurb Line (buy them all at once, you'll save some money)! It makes a huge difference on approaches/climbs, the bus really comes alive with it.

Seems pretty smart to do as Intel is switching up their platforms to a newer standard.
If you've been able to hold out on the bus for this long you can probably handle the little extra wait. :) 

Oh and if you want to get further down the rabbit hole of PC hardware try and get a monitor with a variable refresh rate (GSync/FreeSync), that made my sim much more enjoyable.

EDIT: Figured out the profile name change just took me a minute  

Johannes, thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.   I’ve heard of the Gsync-my PC guys at jetline actually STRONGLY recommended a GSync to go with the 2080 Super-but the 27” monitors that have Gsync are a bit out of my price range-FreeSync ones aren’t so much 

I’ve not heard of the RealTurbLine stuff I’ll have to do some researching. 

I’ve just now spoken to my PC guys (jetline systems-I highly recommend them by the way) just now and we’ve decided to wait on the PC until they can install and test the FSLabs Airbus because if they can get the FSL Bus working well, most other add-ons will be easier on performance.  

So again, it appears I’m waiting on the bus

-Ross McDonagh 

Boston MA 

(still need help with the profile change-I login with twitter or Facebook IIRC) 

Ross McDonagh
On 5/14/2020 at 5:11 AM, DANIELE ROUGIER said:

Concerning joystick, the product  T.16000M FCS  THRUSTMASTER, is fully ambidextrous joystick.

Few removable components allow the joystick to be perfectly tailored for left-handed or right-handed use.

I use it with satisfaction. Obviously there are very professional products dedicated to Airbus: the limit can be the high cost.

I’m planning on the T16000M for sure with a mount to bring it toward my hand lower than the  desk.   The big thing is waiting on the V5 version of the Bus and more importantly... The Honeycomb Throttle & Airbus levers 

Ross McDonagh
9 minutes ago, DANIELE ROUGIER said:

At a lower level ... here is my solution.........perfect!20200520_181053.thumb.jpg.96af362f0c4ead7dc574dc307a789018.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I’ve got in mind.   

J0hannes Butz
1 hour ago, Ross McDonagh said:

planning on the T16000M

I've had the T.16000M (HOTAS) as well. It's great if your goal is to get an affordable, simple-to-use left hand side stick.

I personally prefer (and can only recommend) the Warthog HOTAS (also has more mounting options) as it just feels more substantial with the metal and it's weight/resistance. Keep in mind that a left hand stick will add to the cost (needs to be hand made), so will the mount. If you decide for it you should be able to take it apart and grease the insides of the base once in a while to get over stiction issues (mine runs fine though since I got it 3 years ago).

2 hours ago, Ross McDonagh said:

27” monitors that have Gsync are a bit out of my price range-FreeSync ones aren’t so much 

FreeSync should be supported by Nvidia cards with the drivers since this year. But check this with the Jetline guys, they'll know what's compatible with what they're selling.

• Like 1
Ross McDonagh
18 hours ago, Johannes Butz said:

(and can only recommend) the Warthog HOTAS (also has more mounting options) as it just feels more substantial with the metal and it's weight/resistance.

While I’d love to get any of the warthog line (stick/pedals etc)  I just can’t justify the cost for the warthog stick/getting it flipped around to a left handed configuration-I plan to add in the Honeycomb Yoke/Throttle/Airbus Handles as well so that’s another $600.  So adding the warthog stick would be another $300-$400 and I’m not at all looking for HOTAS