Michele Benedetti

A321 for long haul?

Michele Benedetti

Good evening!

First of all, I want to say that I'm sorry about my real full name not being displayed on my profile: I tried to change it but it keeps saying to me that "I'm not allowed to change my display name right now as I have changed it recently", despite the fact that I didn't even try to change it. Anyway:

I wanted to buy the A321 to "complete the family", but I'd really like to buy a plane that is capable of doing long hauls, since I only have short haulers now. Is the A321 capable for example of doing some transatlantic flights? Generally speaking, which are the longest flights that one could fly with it without making any compromises in payload and weights (i.e operating it in a normal way)?

Y.a.N.n.I.c.K D.e B.e.L

Well it's not really the aircraft that can be used to fly long haul without limits. For ex. TAP uses the A321LR on several long haul destinations like East coast America and North coast of Brazil from Lisbon. If you want to recreate these flights with the A321 with 2 ACT thanks you will still be limited on your load, unless you would have a very favorable tailwind, which you don't have in that direction above the Atlantic. However, if you limit the load, it would be possible but it's really on the limit of these A321's. Anyway, they are fun to fly!

The A319 is the most suitable for long haul flights of the familiy (disregarding extra tanks) with reducing range for the A320 and then A321.

Nuno M Pinto

Something around 3000nm. You're looking at the wrong airplane.

Koen Meier

If you want a true long haul jet then the a321 won’t be able to do that. Some users have been able to fly transatlantic but it does hinder payload capacity a lot.

Michele Benedetti

Thank you all for your answers! I understand, obviously I don't want to fly some 6000 nm in it, but for example not even from Iceland to the USA northern east coast? Oh and one more question: do sharklets extend the range by some margin?

Y.a.N.n.I.c.K D.e B.e.L

Iceland would be more suitable and the A321ceo has been used for this purpose (WOW air). Sharklets do reduce the drag and thus fuel consumption by a few percentages on long flights.

Michele Benedetti

Thank you! I think I'll buy it and also the sharlets when they come out!

Norman Blackburn

Hi,

You changed it a couple weeks ago from Michele3320.

Let us know what name to change it to and we can do that for you.

Michele Benedetti

Thank you, for sure! My full name is Michele Benedetti...I don’t know why it changed like you said...maybe it was something involved in the recovery of a serial key that I had lost...

Norman Blackburn
25 minutes ago, elmiki_2000@hotmail.it said:

Thank you, for sure! My full name is Michele Benedetti...I don’t know why it changed like you said...maybe it was something involved in the recovery of a serial key that I had lost...

You had TWO accounts.  I have merged them for you.

Michele Benedetti

Oh ok...sorry but I didn't know...apparently then one account had the Concorde-X purchase and the other one had the airbusses, otherwise I wouldn't know why I had 2 accounts....thank you!

Markus Burkhard
15 hours ago, Michele Benedetti said:

Thank you! I think I'll buy it and also the sharlets when they come out!

You will be able to do some pretty long flights when using the A321 with 2 ACTs. Iceland to US east coast would be just fine, as would be northern Europe to places like the Canary Islands. 

And there's of course the endless debate of where "short haul" flights end and "long haul" flights start :lol:
In any case, once you equip your A321 with that famous new wingtip design, you'll get some extra range along with it.

Michele Benedetti

Thank you Markus...I wanted a long haul capable airliner...but at the same time I didn't want to separate from that airbus feeling...in fact in order to preserve that I'm ready to compromise on the range aspect.

Koen Meier

Fslabs are making in an airbus that carries more fuel then the a320 .

• Like 1

Tim Nitz
2 hours ago, Koen Meier said:

You are right, and it will be the A3xx :P

Norman Blackburn
4 hours ago, Koen Meier said:

We didn't say it was an Airbus.

Koen Meier
8 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

We didn't say it was an Airbus.

so what is in here 

and what is said in here 

are then two different products?

Norman Blackburn

May 2017
There is another FSLabs aircraft add-on product in the initial stages of development at the moment. We will not say much more about it however, except that it can take... well... more fuel than the A320-X series :).

Doesnt say any type.

June 2019

The A3XX-X is also in its early stages of development, we'll have more news on that when available.

Again doesn't say what it is.  Its nothing more than an internal name.  Its also named such in case we accidently slip up in public.  Or cause confusion and disinformation :D 

Besides.  A Cessna with a huge fuel tank strapped to the wings has no code yet!

• Haha 2

Koen Meier
3 minutes ago, Norman Blackburn said:

May 2017
There is another FSLabs aircraft add-on product in the initial stages of development at the moment. We will not say much more about it however, except that it can take... well... more fuel than the A320-X series :).

Doesnt say any type.

June 2019

The A3XX-X is also in its early stages of development, we'll have more news on that when available.

Again doesn't say what it is.  Its nothing more than an internal name.  Its also named such in case we accidently slip up in public.  Or cause confusion and disinformation :D 

Besides.  A Cessna with a huge fuel tank strapped to the wings has no code yet!

Then that strategy seems to work very well.

Antti Salo
15 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Again doesn't say what it is.

I beg to disagree. It very clearly says what it is!

C3E0FA0C-37B7-4FE5-82DF-68BBFCCBA2E5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Michele Benedetti

If it is an A380 it will be crazy fun...I highly doubt it though...it is too recent...

Frank Fester
7 hours ago, Antti Salo said:

I beg to disagree. It very clearly says what it is!

C3E0FA0C-37B7-4FE5-82DF-68BBFCCBA2E5.jpeg

It will be an A350. Don't spread misinformations :p

• Haha 1

Alexander Luzajic
1 hour ago, Frank Fester said:

It will be an A350. Don't spread misinformations :p

yeah...lol....but how about we get what we already have promised....for starters....:)

Camille MOUCHEL
10 hours ago, Michele Benedetti said:

If it is an A380 it will be crazy fun...I highly doubt it though...it is too recent...

Maybe not, will be retired from companies in less than a couple of years

Pedro_Carvalho

Well, this classic A321 looks to be practicing enough long haul to me.

FL370 across the Atlantic from CYYZ to LPPT. If he can, so can we!

Screenshot_2020-05-03-04-02-25-466_com.flightradar24free.jpg

Michele Benedetti

Well...guess what? So I got the A321 yesterday...the first flight that I did today was LPPR - KEWR (3084 nm), and surprisingly, despite the non favorable winds (trip wind HD19 knots), I was able to carry over 100 passengers (104 if I 'm correct), and their payload (however I had to reduce cargo to almost 0 kgs). I ended up landing in KEWR with almost 5000 kgs of fuel using cost index 20. Fantastic. 

• Like 4

Eric Fisher
On 5/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, Camille MOUCHEL said:

Maybe not, will be retired from companies in less than a couple of years

Air France just announced today all A380 will be grounded permanently.