P3D v5 Cloud Shadows

Marc Stanford

Marc Stanford

So I have been looking at all the pics for v5 showing off TrueSky and I have to say it is a game changer, though I have not seen any cloud shadows yet.

For all you flying v5 with TrueSky does it have cloud shadows like in v4?

Christoph Sebek
17 minutes ago, Marc Stanford said:

So I have been looking at all the pics for v5 showing off TrueSky and I have to say it is a game changer, though I have not seen any cloud shadows yet.

For all you flying v5 with TrueSky does it have cloud shadows like in v4?

AFAIK TrueSky is still a BETA version included in V5, so cloud shadows may be brought to the sim with a 5.X version. Some people seem to love it, some people seem to be disappointed. Probably depends on the time of the day, whether it looks gorgeous or whether you notice that is not a complete feature yet. Not running V5 myself, only quoting what I have read on different sources.

Andreas Guther

I think it‘s a lot better than the clouds and atmosphere in v4. What is even more important: I have the feeling that the DX12 engine is a lot smoother than before. So at least for that it‘s a good step forward.

Having said that, comparing the sky, clouds and atmosphere with MSFS2020 makes TrueSky look like a toy and not really realistic...

Sabine Meier
31 minutes ago, Andreas Guther said:

I think it‘s a lot better than the clouds and atmosphere in v4. What is even more important: I have the feeling that the DX12 engine is a lot smoother than before. So at least for that it‘s a good step forward.

Having said that, comparing the sky, clouds and atmosphere with MSFS2020 makes TrueSky look like a toy and not really realistic...

But what if you know they both use truesky. Only the p3d implementation is still in beta.

• Like 2
Sabine Meier
37 minutes ago, Andreas Guther said:

Hmm, never read this about MSFS2020 also using truesky. Do you have any proof for that?

https://simul.co/ 

Whilst their weather video doesn’t go deep into the software they used. I feel like truesky matches the visuals the best. Also Truesky has integration with both UE and unity and it supports both pc and Xbox. It also has a normal sdk. 

Andreas Guther

Yep, for me this is no proof. Honestly I don't think that MSFS2020 is using trueSKY, it's just looks so different.

On top of that, it's not only about looking good (which is sufficient to trueSKY). It's also about simulation meaning it should be as realistic as it could be.