‘Instruments’ in the checklist

John Price

Hi folks,

Just quick question been meaning to ask for a while now. When it says FLT INST on the before takeoff checklist, what exactly are we looking for when checking that item? Presumably we’ve already checked altimeters correctly set/sync’d and heading matches roughly with compass while we were on the stand. is that what’s being referred to? Also, as far as I’m aware, they don’t do instrument checks on the Airbus as a private pilot like myself would know them (checking DI turning correctly, ball left/right, horizons level, needles tracking correctly and no bugs etc.) during the taxi out, or do they?

thanks folks

John

What I do, is check PFD and ND is display correct especially FMA, eg CLB/Nav is in Arm(blue) nothing crazy showing on PFD

your ND is displaying correct eg now the takeoff runway is on your left, and ND is not showing runway on your right or infront

Terrain on ND as require(PF normally take weather and PNF take the terrain) and make sure FD is on for both CM1 & 2 and PFD is displaying FD1 & 2

Jamie Whiting
On 3/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, John Price said:

Also, as far as I’m aware, they don’t do instrument checks on the Airbus as a private pilot like myself would know them (checking DI turning correctly, ball left/right, horizons level, needles tracking correctly and no bugs etc.) during the taxi out, or do they?

Well, they do not mention such things explicitly, but  basic checking of instruments is fundamental good airmanship no matter how flash your kite might be.

As you know its about making sure things indicate in the correct sense on the ground, as if they don't then things are unlikely to improve once air born, this is the same from C152 to A380.

As a  lapsed PPL myself it is something that is drilled into you, the difference tends to be is that a lot of GA checklists are somewhat expanded, and rather than just saying "instruments", it goes though various separate items. Obviously what you are looking for changes [no DI on an Airbus for example] but always remember the basics.... Yes, the NAV display was correct on stand, but as you taxi out is it operating in the correct sense and is any change proportionate to what you expect? [you already know this stuff]. You can have all the tech in the world but if something basic is wrong then you can forget the rest..

In broader terms, you are never to posh to neglect basics, and the day that happens is often when a serious problem will bite you, just look at some commercial air incidents and you will realise that sometimes it is the basic stuff that is forgotten.