Concorde X Upgrade?

Daniel Mendoza

Daniel Mendoza

Hello all, I know this is the wrong forum topic, I should put it in Concorde X but it does not allow me to for some odd reason. Anyway, have purchased the Concorde X in December of 2018 and it has done great for me, however I am actually interested in switching to P3D and was wondering if there was anyway I could possibly get a P3D key and installer or pay a fee to do a conversion.

concordefsl.JPG

Edited by Daniel Mendoza
Had to put in information to justify topic
Norman Blackburn

Hi Daniel,

The reason you couldn't post in the Concorde forum is that you hadn't added the purchase to your profile.  I have done this for you.

Sadly there is no method to upgrade your purchase.

5 hours ago, Norman Blackburn said:

Hi Daniel,

The reason you couldn't post in the Concorde forum is that you hadn't added the purchase to your profile.  I have done this for you.

Sadly there is no method to upgrade your purchase.

You’re so right Norman it is extremely sad....Oddly enough I think FSL is losing money by not selling Concorde.  I’ve seen several would be customers asking...begging to buy or upgrade etc.  This will definitely not put any food on the table....:-)

• Like 3

I agree Steve. But that ship has sailed, sadly. Everyone loves glass cockpits, FMCs and magenta lines (I know, I know, FMGCs and green lines if you drive an airbus). Revenue from the A32X product line has kept the FSL developers full of crack, whores, booze, fast cars and cigars. There’s just no need to spend development time on the Concorde. I don’t blame FSL, I blame our fellow simmers for preferring the ordinary to the supreme.

• Like 1
Daniel Mendoza

Personally I believe FSLabs should restock their Concordes and temporarily give us the option to upgrade from FSX to P3D for a possible small fee, I believe that can help the problem in this community.

Ray Proudfoot
15 hours ago, Hugh Morten said:

I agree Steve. But that ship has sailed, sadly. Everyone loves glass cockpits, FMCs and magenta lines (I know, I know, FMGCs and green lines if you drive an airbus).

I wouldn't be too sure of that Hugh. Do all drivers prefer their Ford rather than a Lambourghini or Ferrari if they could buy one for the same price as a Ford? That's the situation with a 64-bit Concorde. The price wouldn't be drastically different to an Airbus but then you have an aircraft that can fly 2.5 times faster and climbs at rates Airbuses can only dream about. Concorde is still a beautiful aircraft. I think some people were put off it by the relatively crude interior cockpit but that was necessary to keep VAS down. With no limit on VAS with a 64-bit it could be transformed.

Yes, setting it up for a flight is complex but is it really that more difficult than an Airbus with all its systems? It's all about familiarity. Do it often enough and it's easy. And whilst Airbus pilots are taking 2h 45m to fly from Manchester to Lisbon, I can fly it in 1h 25m and be occupied throughout the flight monitoring fuel. Fast and fun! What's not to like? :)

You're preaching to the converted Ray. I love the Concorde, it is the greatest aircraft that ever flew. It's the greatest aircraft in my fleet and justifies all the faffing around trying to keep P3Dv3 going. 

I take your point about familiarity and indeed in some instances it is less complicated than an Airbus or Boeing aircraft; e.g. no need to calculate flaps, derated/flex take offs, etc. Just arm the reheats and bang the throttles all the way to the forward stops. 

I just don't think the majority of simmers see it that way though sadly and I'm not sure why. You can tell just by the fora. The A32X forum gets a new post every 5 minutes or so, whilst the Concorde forum is lucky to get a post once a week. How many Youtube or Twitch videos do you see of people streaming Concorde flights?

FSL are no fools - they know the massive difference in revenue between what putting out a new Airbus A330 would get them and putting out an updated Concorde. Sad but true - that's market forces for you. 

Ray Proudfoot

Hugh, the main reason I think that Concorde doesn't have a high profile is because it's a 32-bit version, has to run on an older version of P3D and people have to worry about VAS. Plus screen resolution has to be fixed to 1920*1080 which is a pain if you have a 4K monitor as I have. Downscaling does affect image quality but I persevere with it because I love the aircraft.

A 64-bit version would overcome having to run two sims which is huge. Even members of the FSL team have removed P3Dv3 because it's such an old sim. Their last statement said work on a 64-bit version would only be done once and because Microsoft threw a spanner in the works last June FSL are awaiting news about MFS and what it can or cannot do. With the SDK out I'm hopeful the day is closer when they can make a decision.

Ray Proudfoot
56 minutes ago, Lefteris Kalamaras said:

Ray-

where did you read that the SDK is out?

I've been following discussion on AvSim MFS forum and that was my understanding. I've not seen anything definitive from Microsoft.

Lefteris Kalamaras

OK, because your post (and previous posts) seem to suggest that "since the SDK is already out, developers are already working on it" - which is definitely NOT the case (but I will not elaborate at all on the matter as we're under NDA).

Ray Proudfoot

Understood and apologies if I’ve caused any confusion. I know Microsoft were planning to release it around the start of 2020 but it seems it’s been delayed as a quick look through the topics at AvSim reveals nothing. My mind has been on other more pressing things. ;)

My point is it would be fantastic for the flight sim community if FSL’s excellent version of Concorde was still available to purchase with or without support and strictly sold as seen.  Please reconsider your position on this FSL!