Concorde v1.41 causing CTDs

Ray Proudfoot

Konstantin

@Ray Proudfoot  Without knowing the details of GSX and SODE, I remember that the few times that I experienced CTDs (with Majestic Q400), uninstalling and reinstalling GSX contributed to solving the problem. It's important not to do just a live update, but to download the newest full version and to uninstall the old one. No idea what is going on inside.

• Like 1
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Proudfoot

• Konstantin

• Fraser Gale

• Norman Blackburn

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whatever, I've never claimed to be a computer expert, just trying to eliminate all possibilities which is the best way to isolate an issue speaking from experience.  If it is a rare combination o

I was able to complete the flight with absolutely no problems at all. You will find screenshots of my setup at the end of the video: Windows 10 v1909 Build 18363.836 Nvidia Studio 446.14 Late

A return flight back to Oslo was fine. Without wishing to put the mockers on this I’m reasonably confident the problem has been fixed. Tomorrow I shall reinstall GSX and after a few more flights, SODE

Posted Images

Ray Proudfoot

ENGM-EGLL completed without any issues. Things are looking up. Two out of two. I won't make any changes for a few more flights but eventually GSX and SODE are going to be needed for v4.

Given SODE is automatically installed by GSX I don't have much control over that but I will unregister and disable SODE when flying Concorde. Maybe it being active has some bearing. All in all a useful session and I'm grateful for the advice and to Ramon for his testing. If anyone fancies Oslo to Heathrow in 1h 9m and that's with a 09R landing let me know.

Remaining VAS after landing was 624Mb and that's after flying over northern London and with 212 Ai in a 40nm bubble around the aircraft.

Ray Proudfoot
35 minutes ago, Konstantin said:

@Ray Proudfoot  Without knowing the details of GSX and SODE, I remember that the few times that I experienced CTDs (with Majestic Q400), uninstalling and reinstalling GSX contributed to solving the problem. It's important not to do just a live update, but to download the newest full version and to uninstall the old one. No idea what is going on inside.

It’s a strange system used for FSDT products but overall it seems to work well once you understand its idiosyncrasies. Hard to say at this point whether GSX or SODE is the culprit. The easiest way to find out is to activate SODE for v4 and see what happens.

Andrew was on the right track with his suggestion to uninstall both and then reinstall but it seems that only works for so long before it needs doing again.

But if disabling 64-bit SODE before starting P3Dv3 is the solution that’s easy enough to do. As things stand I’m a lot happier today than yesterday.

• Like 1
Steve Prowse

I’m glad you’ve got to the bottom of this Ray....let’s hope this finally solves the problem.  Anyway all the best.

Ray Proudfoot
6 minutes ago, Steve Prowse said:

I’m glad you’ve got to the bottom of this Ray....let’s hope this finally solves the problem.  Anyway all the best.

I hope so Steve but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. You okay and still flying?

Steve Prowse
5 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I hope so Steve but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed. You okay and still flying?

Yes we’re both well, but both my wife and me are in the vulnerable group, so neither of us have been out and have had only limited contact with the family.  This thing is bloody horrible, never in a million years did I imagine this.  Anyway, yes I’m flying more than ever, sorry that I couldn’t have helped more with your issue but I only use FSX SE and that has served me so well these many years.  I must say my beautiful Concorde is flying so well, touch wood and whistle.  My news is that I recently bought CS L1011, and I love it, it really keeps you on your toes and I must confess it makes a change being in the weather, so as to speak.  Do you have that aircraft Ray?  If not give it a look you’ll not regret it I’m sure.  Anyway Ray keep her in the sky and take the best of care.

Steve

Ray Proudfoot

Hi Steve,

Yes, these are difficult times but I'm pleased to hear you're both okay. Flight simming is a great distraction for us. No plans to buy any aircraft for P3D until I know which sim FSL will develop Concorde for. Just biding my time. I fly the PMDG737 and have reached Japan on a 44 leg world tour.

Look after yourselves Steve.

Ray Proudfoot

Flight number 3 completed okay. LTAI to LEMG (Antalya, Turkey to Malaga, Spain). 1881nm in a little over 2hrs. Still to install GSX into v4.5 but when I do in the next few days should I get a CTD I’ll know what is responsible. How to resolve it is another matter.

But for now, I’m happy. :)

• Like 1
Ray Proudfoot

This is just an aid for me should the dreaded CTDs return. After 5 good flights (EGLL_KJFK yesterday) I decided to install GSX Level 2 for P3Dv4. SODE remains active for P3Dv3 but inactive for v4.

A test flight from ENGM-EGLL went fine today. I'm considering ignoring any more GSX updates since there's never a log of what's changed and as it is, it suits me fine. The next step will be a v4 flight with SODE enabled. Then ENGM-EGLL again as this was one of the more troublesome routes but fortunately is only 1h 10m in duration and 20m shorter for the CTD test.

• 2 months later...
Konstantin
On 5/28/2020 at 3:52 PM, Ramón Cutanda said:

@Ray Proudfoot I am SO HAPPY to read you have passed "the test". Hopefully this will help you stay away from CTD once and for all :-)

@Konstantin Because of the NDA I cannot get into details about MSFS2020, but one thing is for sure: unless MANY changes are made into the user interface, MSFS2020 will NOT be my default simulator and I will only use it for VFR. I wish I could tell you what I think about Concorde-X and MSFS2020, but I would need to get into some details of MSFS2020 and I don't want to spill the beans and get into trouble... On a different topic, thank you so much for your modified Concorde.air and Fuelburn.ini. I hadn't flown Concorde in the last couple of years, but even if I have not compared the figures side by side, just from my memory, I can confirm you what you already know: that they make a BIG difference in the accuracy of fuel burn while subsonic. Thanks!

@Ramón Cutanda Now that MSFS2020 is available and users are writing about their experience with the new sim, I would finally like to hear what you think about Concorde-X and MSFS2020. I am curious...

Ramón Cutanda

FS2020 says goodbye to contextual menus (using the right-click of the mouse) and 2D panels, forcing you to fly using only the 3D Virtual cockpit. After so many years (I flew my first flight simulator in 1992) I have right-click menus and 2D panels embedded in my skin. Over the years I have tried to use camera systems such as EZCA or ChasePlane. But I have never got used to them. After a dozen of flights or so I always give up and go back to the old faithful right-clicks and 2D panels shortcuts because I simply feel much more comfortable. The way you move around the cockpit in FS2020 is very similar to the way these addons work.

Needless to say Concorde has always been special; both in real life and in the simulation world. She is, by far, the simulated aircraft with the highest number of 2D panels. I cannot imagine myself in a 100% 3D virtual cockpit without those beloved 2D panels. In my case, the reason why I depend on 2D panels so much is that they do not block the screen entirely. You can check or act on the 2D panel and, at the same time, keep a basic awareness of what is going on in the aircraft. Position, speed, altitude... For example. You can complete some simple checklists while taxiing because you can, more or less, keep the taxiway in sight and taxi straight(ish). In a 100% 3D virtual cockpit that would not be possible. Every time you used the overhead or the Engineers' panel,  for instance, you would lose all the exterior vision.

I am fully aware that popping up 2D panels is not how things work in real life. But in real life there would be a crew of 3 in the cockpit, and if we simmers are going to be on our own is "fair" to have some advantages that, at least partially, may compensate the much increased difficulty of having to do everything by ourselves.

Very likely, sooner or later we will all end up using MSFS2020. And the more hours we flew it, the more we will get used to the new interface. But, at least for the time being, I won't even try. I am currently at leg 67 of 437 of the Concorde Round The World Tour. Not in any particular hurry to move on to MSFS2020...

• Thanks 1
Konstantin

Thanks Ramon for your detailed elaboration on Concorde-X in MSFS2020. I never thought about the 2-D popup-panels - maybe because we have been taking them for granted?  But you are right in that they are crucial for keeping track where you steer on the taxiway while giving you a chance to prepare the airplane for the flight.

Now if there was some light at the end of the tunnel concerning the development of a new Concorde...

AdrianSmith

Like Ramon I am embedded in 2D panels, I have the advantage of four HD monitors so I can display the entire Concorde Flight Engineers panel all the time (not quite laid out in RW fashion)

The only aircraft I fly in 3D (because it doesn't have a 2D panel) is the A2A Boeing Stratocruiser, and I have the FE panel on a separate monitor from the P1 panel.

It is still an issue to taxy it when the pilot has to look around the cockpit for things and the view on landing is "restricted" so I rarely hit the touchdown zone while trying to keep sink rate below 500 FpM.

Ray Proudfoot

Curious change of conversation in this topic. Perhaps it needs its own topic to draw attention to it.

Fraser Gale

@Ramón Cutanda are 2D panels not possible or is it just that because they are out of favour these days, they aren't included with aircraft that are currently available...? 

I too need the 2D panels because I have the main panel on one screen with the view out of the virtual cockpit on a screen mounted above, which for me gives the most realism.  I never have problems reading the instruments for example as they are clearer on a blown up 2D panel. 

Ramón Cutanda

I actually uninstalled MSFS2020 a couple of weeks ago, so I cannot double-check. But unless something big has changed since then, no 2D panels and no right-click context menus whatsoever. Period. The User Interface is 100% virtual.Take into account that MSFS2020 is available on Xbox so they have thought the user interface with a control pad, and not with a keyboard, in mind. The way you move around in the cockpit, as I explained, is quite similar to EZCAM or ChasePlane. The buttons of your flight controls will take you to some predetermined specific views of the cockpit. For example, you set a button that will move the view upwards and zoom in to see the area of overhead panel where the lights are, for example so, with one push you move the virtual view where you need it. But that is as far as you can go.

Bests,

Fraser Gale

I saw a video on YouTube where someone was using key commands for functions like in P3D, so I think it must be possible.  Remember they want to convert all the P3D folk over to make their money back...

I would hope 2D panels are still a physical possibility, even if the majority of the community regard them as "old hat". 

Konstantin
On 8/17/2020 at 11:17 PM, Ramón Cutanda said:

Very likely, sooner or later we will all end up using MSFS2020. And the more hours we flew it, the more we will get used to the new interface. But, at least for the time being, I won't even try. I am currently at leg 67 of 437 of the Concorde Round The World Tour. Not in any particular hurry to move on to MSFS2020...

How about getting the best of both worlds if you are on a world tour?  You could use P3D v3 to fly with Concorde to different destinations, and then use MSFS2020 to do VFR sightseeing tours at these destinations in great quality. I bet your passengers would like that! :)

• Like 1
Vimal Anandharaman

I think 2d panels are possible, for example you can pop out all the different options ( weather, atc, all that ) as a separate window outside of the sim just like in FSX and P3D. Its probably up to the add-on makers to implement such features. 

Fraser Gale
8 hours ago, Vimal Anandharaman said:

I think 2d panels are possible, for example you can pop out all the different options ( weather, atc, all that ) as a separate window outside of the sim just like in FSX and P3D. Its probably up to the add-on makers to implement such features. 

That's my thinking too, plus it's a little early to judge in my opinion.